Jumping jacks - purpose and proper form

Hi all. I am fairly new to the strengh training, i get most of it from my tkd classes but when i can't make class i like to do nerd fitness bodyweight workout for beginners. I can even do normal pushups now, not on my knees!
Anyway, at the end of every set is 30 jumping jacks. I kinda hate them as I feel stupid doing them and I don't know what they are doing for me... not entirely sure if there is a right or wrong way, what shall I focus on?
I know there is a reason they are included, please help me see it!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2016
    I would pick some thing else to do that I enjoyed more!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    It mainly gets the heart rate up. That isn't required during strength training, so if you don't like them, feel free to skip them. I find them silly too. :+1:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    edited October 2016
    At the very least they get your heart rate up. I am of course assuming you are doing them correctly. They also use a bunch of muscles in your legs (you are jumping after all). They also work muscles in your shoulders and upper back albeit, not the same way resistance exercises do, but working upper back intensely is difficult to do with bodyweight only. With that they work on coordination and shoulder mobility. I personally love jumping jacks.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    There are many variations of jumping jacks and lots of ways you can modify to make them more difficult, reaping more benefits. Here is a simple link that summarizes some basic benefits. http://www.tabelog.us/articles/why-jumping-jacks-is-good-for-your-health
    I love jumping exercises but it has been a long time that I have done a regular jumping jack session. Thank you for reminding me with this post to give them a chance to see how intense 10 straight minutes can be.
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    If they are to raise my heart rate up would't it make more sense to do them at the beginning of the set? I do a warm up anyway in thd beginning, and the breaks are really short ( 20 sec) so maybe I could do without them...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    megann120 wrote: »
    If they are to raise my heart rate up would't it make more sense to do them at the beginning of the set? I do a warm up anyway in thd beginning, and the breaks are really short ( 20 sec) so maybe I could do without them...

Correct - skip them. I don't think it's good for beginners to mix in cardio activities like jumping jacks into strength training, because the focus should be on mastering proper form of the lifts, not multi-tasking and getting fatigued from cardio. The cardio can be done in a separate session. It's not necessary to keep the heart rate up high during or before strength training. :+1:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member

Without seeing the program I really cannot comment on that. I would have to assume the creator of the program put them there for a reason. I also assume it is an all body weight program. Am I correct on that?
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member

I usually do them as warm up. Maybe they're added as a cooldown. More likely, its just a little bit of cardio for those that don't get it elsewhere. If you're doing enough cardio at tkd or somewhere else, you could probably go without. On the other hand, usually when I hate an exercise, its 'cause I need it the most.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I'm not big on high impact so I replaced them with step ups ( using a kitchen stool), same arm movement.

Cheers, h.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    The purpose of jumping jacks is to make me look a fool and feel miserable. Of this I am convinced.

I jerk around like a puppet in a gale, out of time and co-ordination and yet they should be so simple.

I would rather replace them with ANYTHING, so all those people suggesting not to do them are all right in my books
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Jumping jacks are a cardio exercise. If you don't like them do something else to get your heart rate up. If you can't do full ones, modify them.

Alternatives: burpees (talk about stupid exercises), mountain climbers, run in place, step ups, dance, etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Jumping jacks are entry level plyometrics. Leg and core largely, and any CV benefit is secondary.

Looking at that programme, they're about 30℅ of the leg work, so if your not capable of them you need to supplement something else instead; box jumps would be good.

In the context of that plan, I certainly wouldn't say the purpose was cardio.

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited October 2016
    Jumping jacks are a nice shoulder opener when done with proper form. I like them as a quick way to get a dynamic stretch before upper body stuff. As a cardio exercise they're almost worthless IMO.
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Thank you all for your input x
    Actually aftereading some of the replies and articles suggested I feel better abouf doing them, it is fascinating how one mention of them being military excercise can change the perception...
    I think i will continue with them for now till I feel ready to change the to burpees ( my nemesis and one of my tkd instructor's favourite excercise lol)
    Thanks xx