Running For Dummies

Options
I just wrote this in my blog but I thought maybe it'd be a good read for people who won't get to see my blog so, I'm posting it here as well. I am not an expert -- these are just my experiences. Feel free to post tips of your own, problems you've had...add me as a friend if you'd like..Hope this helps

I am a walk/jog/run dummy. I've tried over and over and over again to get into it, and I always quit. My goal right now is to hit a 10 minute mile by the time I get back to school and tonight I did one in 13 minutes and 34 seconds. The idea to write this hit me as I flew off my treadmill and into an icy shower so hopefully it'll help some of you to overcome the challenges of beginning to run. These are all of my personal problems with walking/jogging/running, and my fights to overcome them:

Problem 1:
Walking, Jogging and Running is rediculously boring. Seriously, my lungs hurt, I have nothing to think about, it's not fun, I'm sweating..Why on earth am I doing this...

The Fight:
I Walk/Jog/Run in several different places. When I'm home, I walk around my neighborhood. At school, I walk to classes. I Jog/Run around my campus and in the gym using Treadmills and Ellipticals.
Tip 1: Walk/Jog/Run with someone. Ladies, we all love to hear the gossip. I walk with my Mom and she fills me in on what I've missed with the family. At school I walk with my best friend and we can talk about classes or anything else we have going on. If you're competitive like me, this can also come in handy because you'll never want to quit before your partner. My best friend is around 140lbs and is in much better shape than me -- so I fight and push myself so I don't feel embarrassed about being out of breath withing 15 minutes. "Do you need to walk for a while" "No I'm good, let's keep going *pant pant pant*"
Tip 2: If you're on a treadmill, go ahead and give yourself something else to do. When I first started, and my goal was impressing boys and looking cute (and not health and activity) I did all sorts of things on my treadmill. I'd have music in my ears, the TV on, a game going...anything that I could do, to distract me from the very boring walk/jog helped. If I'm just walking, I'll prop a book up on the front of my treadmill and read as I walk.
Tip 3: Challenge yourself. I do this a lot lately since I've set a time goal for myself. I'll say to myself "Ok, for the next .1 miles I'll jog at 6mph" though this only works on treadmills. If I'm outside maybe it'll be "Ok, I'm going to sprint from here to that lamp post" If you have a clear goal in your head, it winds up feeling more productive than just step..step...step...step
Tip 4: Ellipticals are great. Try reversing the direction of your feet, or running on the balls of your feet, or crouching down low. Crank up the intensity and work your arms. There are sooo many different muscles you can work with the elliptical. Plus, since you don't have to pay attention to wear you're putting your feet (since you're not lifting them up) you can close your eyes and imagine yourself on a gorgeous beach or exciting jungle trail. Day dream about a pack of lions chasing you -- that'll get you moving.

Problem 2:
My shoes hurt my feet. My ankles are all torn up. Maybe I need new shoes. I'm just going to take a break til my sores heal.

The Fight:
I know it stinks to have blisters and sores on your feet from your shoes but -- odds are if you have them, it's because of one of two reasons. 1) New Shoes. 2) You're a new runner. If you just bought new shoes, how on earth are you going to break them in if you don't wear them. Put some tape or bandaids or moleskin over the cuts and blisters and maybe take it easy the next day but -- don't stop. You have to break them in some how. If you're a new runner it's even worse. If you run once, and you're tired and your legs hurt and now you've got these cuts on your ankles and you say to yourself "okay, I'm going to take a few days to let myself heal" -- you're not going to run again. You'll think about it, you'll say, "hm I should run" but you won't do it...because your last memory of it isn't good. After a few weeks, those blisters and cuts will heal, your skin will be stronger, your shoes will be broken in and you won't have those problems anymore -- but if you don't give your body (or shoes) time to get used to the new activity, it'll be the same negative experience every single time. You have to push past the initial "ugh this sucks" and get to the "I bet I can beat my last time"

Problem 3:
Oh my gosh, I'm out of breath, I'm sweating, I'm hot, I'm miserable..I'm just going to stop.

The Fight:
Let's be honest -- Running, in the beginning, is not fun. Especially if you're out of shape and over weight. There's a lot jiggling around and it is hard on your joints and there are hills and crooked side walks and squeeky treadmills and the weathers too hot or too cold or rainy -- it's not fun. But you're never going to get to that good place if you quit. When you become a runner -- a real runner, and you can do 5 miles easy and battle against your times and compete in marathons -- I imagine it's a lot different. Look at me, i just did 1 mile and my feet are hurting -- and I burned around 140 calories. Now imagine being a runner, 1 mile isn't anything to you, and you've still burnt calories -- calories that you can then eat back later -- appealing isn't it? So here are a few tips I've been working on
Tip 1: Figure out what type of goal works for you. Do you do better setting a time limit on yourself? Or maybe a distance goal? If you're outside, do you map out how far the loop around your neighborhood? Or do you check your watch and keep going til it hits the magical 30 min mark? I've found that when I strive for a specific distance I do much better overall. If I'm walking at a slow pace, not really looking to work to hard, I'll say 30 minutes, but if I'm jogging, and I'm hot, and miserable -- I set a distance goal. I'll say okay, I'll jog .2 miles and then walk .1...Or if I'm outside, I'll jog til I can't anymore, and then set a limit on how far I can walk before having to jog again.
Tip 2: Keep a water bottle with you. It'll quench your thirst, cool you down..ease some of your pain as you make it around your usual routine. Easy Enough.
Tip 3: If you're running outside, make sure your loop is big enough for you. If you have to run past your house several times, it's very tempting to say "ugh well, 1 lap is good enough, I'm done". The good thing about walking/jogging outside is, you can't just stop whenever -- because you're not home yet!
Tip 4: If you're having an off day, set lower goals. It's okay that you don't do 4 miles every day. If you're feeling tired, sore, sluggish, do 2 miles instead -- you're still getting up, using your muscles, burning calories and instead of feeling terrible for doing nothing you can say "Hey, at least I did something." It is important that you feel a sense of achievement from your work out.

These are only a few of the things I've learned over the course of my journey with fitness. Running is hard. Exercise is hard. You have to self motivate yourself and work it into your routine and work at it and work at it and work at it until it isn't just another chore in your day -- you have to fight to make it something you look forward to. You know what it feels like to have that post-exercise rush. It feels amazing and energizing -- just remember that feeling next time you're thinking "ugh, I don't want to work out"

A few friends said to me today.
You'll never regret working out. But you WILL regret not working out.

Replies

• MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips. Thanks for sharing!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well said. Bravo!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    And you've discovered one of the things I do when running... "Compose MFP posts in your head." :wink:

Good job!
  • lanadlanad
    lanadlanad Posts: 12
    Options
    I didn't read through everything yet, but this is very encouraging! Especially since I AM one of the people who start running and then want to stop because I'm incredibly bored. But thank you for the tips! I'll try them next time!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    As a new runner, I totally agree! You may not like running, but you love having ran!!
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This was great to read, and I have a hard time with the boring part to when I'm inside. I am more of a walker(I have bad knee pain), but I've been wanting to try to run more....so I think I will! Thanks for the post, it was encouraging.
  • susiekusie
    susiekusie Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have recently made the decision to start Couch to 5K, but I know it will take me longer than 9 weeks. I am the most out-of-shape person I know. I tried day 1, and made it 8 minutes, which was an achievement for me. I didn't think I would last that long. But I haven't gotten up the courage to try again. :noway:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Tip 4: Ellipticals are great. Try reversing the direction of your feet, or running on the balls of your feet, or crouching down low. Crank up the intensity and work your arms. There are sooo many different muscles you can work with the elliptical. Plus, since you don't have to pay attention to wear you're putting your feet (since you're not lifting them up) you can close your eyes and imagine yourself on a gorgeous beach or exciting jungle trail. Day dream about a pack of lions chasing you -- that'll get you moving.

A trick I used to use on the elliptical is to clasp my hands on top of my head or behind my butt. This forces you to use your core muscles to keep your balance as you step (I always did hill intervals).

As for running...I'm having a devil of a time going for more than 2.5 minutes. My legs go dead and stop cooperating, even though I am breathing ok and otherwise have plenty of endurance. If I stop running and walk for about 10 seconds, I can run again. The periods of time that I can run before my legs go dead decreases the longer I'm at it. I warm up and stretch and there is no pain. It's just impossible to go further if my legs are refusing to function at running speed. It's frustrating me to no end. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Note: I've tried running slower and it's more difficult and I can go no further than running fast. My history is that of a sprinter (back in high school track), nothing distance. My normal run speed is about 5.2 - 5.5 MPH.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later :)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have recently made the decision to start Couch to 5K, but I know it will take me longer than 9 weeks. I am the most out-of-shape person I know. I tried day 1, and made it 8 minutes, which was an achievement for me. I didn't think I would last that long. But I haven't gotten up the courage to try again. :noway:

DO IT AGAIN.

:)

I just graduated and am SO glad I finished. It was my third time and I had to redo some weeks, but I now jog for about 40-50 min three times a week!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Great thread I am also a new runner and have been able to run 2.5 miles straight and very proud of myself. This past weekend I jogged outdoors and boy was that waay different I was literally only bale to run .5 miles before I thought I'd pass out being sick and super windy outside might have made a difference but I definitely have to practice running outdoors!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Looove this post! Funny and true, and also funny because it's true!

I'm getting back into running, starting this week!