6ft 2in 169lbs and time to go up

I'm 29, busy with two children, wife, and work. I work out about 5 days a week. Weight training almost exclusively.

I do have some fat on my stomach from when I would overeat years ago when I was in the navy to have gains while working out.

I am ok with some fat gain but like most I would prefer lean gains.

I currently strive for 3,300 calories a fat. Unfornutely with my food choice I get mostly 50% of those calories as fat.

I need more carbs and protein in he diet to limit some of the fat.

Anyone else thin and trying to put on muscle?

With the effort I put in at the gym I should be getting bigger. I just didn't consume enough calories. With this app, I can count calories easily.

And if I don't see the gains in two-three weeks, then I'll add another 500 calories to my daily intake.

Replies

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Are you eating before a workout? That was the watershed moment for me, as long as it was far enough in advance to not upset my stomach, I could suddenly push myself so much harder and started to actually make progress. More energy = more effort = more muscle/less fat
  • jyanco0503
    jyanco0503 Posts: 12 Member
    I do for the most part. Or go to the gym within an hour of eating.

I try to have my bigger meals before the workout and then an 800cal shake after and then a bigger meal after that.
  • jyanco0503
    I don't have stomach issues. I could eat a triple whopper and then go straight to the gym. I could not do this and go run 2 miles.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    The other thing to bear in mind is your baseline energy requirements - I didn't realise until I started using my fitbit that my TDEE is basically 3500 due to being on my feet all day at work. Up til that point, I'd been thinking 3500 cals/day was borderline too many, but factor in the gym, and I now aim for 4-4.5k/day depending on activity levels.
  • jyanco0503
    Fitbit isn't a bad idea. My phone only accounts for steps when I use it and doesn't notice the difference between sitting and standing.

Thanks for the tips.