Starting a Juice Fast - Any Advice?

Options
I started phase one of my juice fast yesterday. I drink a veggie/fruit juice for breakfast and lunch, and I have dinner that is 90% veggie, 10% fish, and use 1 Tbsp of olive oil to season/cook. I feel great, don't have cravings, and according to my food calculator, I'm getting enough of everything. After 7 days of this, I'll go to 100% juice for another 7 days.

My problem is: how can I make the juice Smell better? So far I've used kale, beets, carrots, and/or celery. The only one that really stinks is the beets. Any ideas? The taste is great - masked by the fruits I use...but the smell...ewwwwww.

Also, how long did you do your juice fast for? And why?

I'm doing it to sever myself from my bad habits. I'm trying to cut out processed food as much as possible, so I figure if I do a juice fast it will help me see that this is possible. I also would like to benefit from a thorough cleanse. Sorry if that's TMI.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My suggestion? Don't do it! But that's just me. :laugh:
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I wouldn't do it either..the second you put food to your lips whatever you lost is going to come right back. I say keep calorie counting, but it's your body so you do what's right for you!
  • lozf85
    lozf85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Anything with the word ‘fast’ in it is going to end poorly.

Don’t do it…
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You probably won't find much support here as most of us choose to eat and not drink our calories... i.e. lose the weight in a way that is realistic and sustainable. Good luck though!
  • COREYNAVARRO
    Options
    I see your progress. Why do a juice fast? You have done well so far! I would hate to see you gain it all back.
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just saw a documentary on netflix, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", that talked about the benefits of juice fasting. It's available for instant viewing. The director went on a 60 day juice fast and it seemed like he really benefited from it. I think he only eats a whole plant based diet now, but goes back to fasting every couple of months. Good luck!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I just saw a documentary on netflix, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", that talked about the benefits of juice fasting. It's available for instant viewing. The director went on a 60 day juice fast and it seemed like he really benefited from it. I think he only eats a whole plant based diet now, but goes back to fasting every couple of months. Good luck!

Seems like it may have had a detrimental effect on his common sense. :laugh:
    Just kidding! Sorta... a good lifestyle is one in moderation. Not a liquid one, or a solely plant-based one.
  • jienelle
    jienelle Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for the concern, but the question is for people who are doing/are supporting it. Where I'm from, and in many parts of the world, fasting is a common thing to do. And frankly, their eating habits, lifestyle, and life-expectancy is much more desirable than that of the western culture. I am doing it to get away from processed foods and more towards a plant-based diet - the kind of foods I ate when I was younger.

Still, thanks for the concern. And PS - I do have a physician supporting me on the fast.
  • BMW6Series
    BMW6Series Posts: 124
    Options
    Remember the Juice Fast is just a reboot. Getting good micro-nutrients into your system and helping you develop a taste for fresh fruits and vegetables. Usually people don't eat enough fruits and veggies, and if you they do, they were usually over-cooked.

It is not a juice only diet for life. It is short term, but having more raw fresh and veggies in the future, and being more careful about what we eat.

I am enjoying my juice fast. I know that I need to change that way that I eat. I am also doing it to deal with auto-immune disease, and trying to keep out food that causes inflammation out of my system.

If you have not seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I would encourage you to take a look.

BMW6
  • 52wingman
    52wingman Posts: 4
    Options
    I will be starting mine this weekend. I will keep everyone posted as it goes. I'm shooting for the 10 day reboot. But if I don't make it, I won't feel bad about it. I'm just trying to improve my health.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    The website was recommending a 15 day juice fast for me. I have auto immune problem that I think will be helped by this cleaner, more raw approach. I am enjoying my fruits and veggies.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up a juicer tonight and my boyfriend and I will be doing a juice fast for 5 days. Not for weight loss purposes, just to detox. I'll be googling juicing recipes to try out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • 52wingman
    52wingman Posts: 4
    Options
    Started the trial run last night. I was surprised how filling it was. I made both a pure fruit juice and a veggie with apple juice as well. Raspberry, Blueberry, Pineapple was quite yummy. Kale, Celery, Carrots, Lemon, Tomato, Apple was different than anything I've ever tasted, but I could for sure sustain myself on it for a while. This might be common, but after drinking the veggie juice mix, I felt infused. Don't really know if that explains it well though. Like you feel after a ton of caffeine or some types of medicine. I could feel a difference in my body, like super fast absorption into my blood. It was a rush. That's the best feeling. I"m rambling at this point, but excited that I've found something my body likes and will improve my health and gear me up for a future of better eating habits. I will post more as I experience more with the juicer and eventually start my fast.
  • jienelle
    Options
    BMW - Thank you for the suggestion - I just started watching the movie. It's pretty interesting. It's exactly what I want to accomplish, just a reboot and a motivation to help me get on the right track.

I agree with feeling like it gives you energy, it feels like a natural rush and I'm not tired at all - and I work 12 hour days!
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I an hoping to get my health back with it and use juicing to fight off nasty diseases.

I recommend looking up the health benefits on google for the different plants you are juicing. That will motivate you to do even more veggies and fruits.

Juiced enough for breakfast and lunch at work.

I am hoping that it will provide me with the extra energy that I need for the new longer work days.

Bmw6
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Fasting is the norm for many people, cultures and religions. There is nothing wrong with a fast as long as its done properly. I do a detox fast 2x per year. But recently did it as I started a non-dairy diet and I had to flush my body. I will also be doing a juice fast the end of this month for more medical reasons than actual weight loss.

However, fasting can put your mind on the right track. Remember after you come off your fast to slowly increase your calories. You can not do a 7 day fast this week and then go back to a 1500 calorie diet next week. After coming off a fast the next day or two should be only fruits veggies and nuts. Then slowly add back in the foods you want such as dairy, meat, sweets, etc. If one realizes that a fast is not long term weight loss but more of a starter and cleanse as well as acknowleging that some of the weight may come back after the fast (even when slowly increasing calories) then there are MANY benefits to a fast!

Good luck!

Oh.... as far as the smell? Hmmm, I don't know. I would probably just not use beets adn find another veggie/fruit with similar benefits as beets that smell better. I'd look up some juicing recipes!
  • jienelle
    Options
    @SeaChele thanks for the advice! I agree - I'm not doing it solely for weight loss, although that would be a nice extra benefit. And I do expect to gain some of the weight back. My plan is to break the fast by doing fresh protein shakes (bananas, peanut butter, etc.) and restart my workouts when I do, so that I don't gain it all back.

I haven't been using the beets since the original post - can't stand the smell. Other veggies don't bother me though. Today is day 4 out of 10 and I feel great!
  • Anniedbw
    Anniedbw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add ginger and lemon to veggie juices and find it helps with the smell and taste. Especially with juices that have a lot of greens in them.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Juiced strawberries, 2 apples and 12 oz of Kale. If it was not for juicing I would never get the nutrients of Kale in my system. Been juicing for over a week now with two to three meals a day of juice and a healthy vegan snack.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Kale, Strawberries, Celery and some lemon. I am feeling good today at work.