important question about my diary

Hey everyone , I been managing to do alot better with staying under calories , especially today.I do drink and if I record thati nto my diary won't have much room for other stuff however I always add on there when I drink coke or sprite cause thats what I use to miss my cherry puckers with but I don't add the alcohol I miss into it , long as I always add the coke , sprite and other things througout the day do you think it is okay to leave off the alcholol long as I eat healthier meals atleast pretty often to make up for it , any input on this is greatly appreciated , thanks so much

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    I would log it into your diary. I've done that before - not with alcohol but other things that I thought wouldn't matter - and it's better to just log it all. I think when you mentally do the math for this kind of stuff (at least for me) I overestimate my exercise and underestimate my eating. If you're going to make up for it, then make up for it, but do it while holding yourself accountable and adding everything into your diary. :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    Log it all.

Its easier that way...although for the past two days for me. I barely got 1200 calories...if even without exercising, so if you are that much under then its one thing. If you are close, I would log it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I guess it depends what you want to acheive.
    If you want to make sure you are eating a healthy balance of food and don't care about weight loss or long term health then don't log it.
    But, if you want a clear picture of what is actually going into your body you really should log it. If you find there's not enough calories left for food because you are drinking 1200 calories of alcohol a day, then in the interests of your health you might like to re-evaluate how much and how often you are drinking!
    Eating healthy doesn't have to mean stop drinking, but I log it as a treat and don't do it every day. Then i make sure that my calories for the day work out with one or two drinks in there.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I log what I can remember drinking from the night lol
  • Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    oh well I just drink 2 glasses a night thats why I was wondering if I should log it or not
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Log everything :)
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Hey everyone , I been managing to do alot better with staying under calories , especially today.I do drink and if I record thati nto my diary won't have much room for other stuff however I always add on there when I drink coke or sprite cause thats what I use to miss my cherry puckers with but I don't add the alcohol I miss into it , long as I always add the coke , sprite and other things througout the day do you think it is okay to leave off the alcholol long as I eat healthier meals atleast pretty often to make up for it , any input on this is greatly appreciated , thanks so much

Normally alcohol has quite a few calories. For example: in 1 oz of tequila/vodka/rum- 70 calories. And usually there are 1.5-2 ounces of liquor in each drink. That adds up to a lot. Especially if you are drinking 2 every night. That means you aren't logging anywhere from 140-280 calories everyday. Do you have that much wiggle room?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Yes, I would log it, especially if you ever have questions about plateauing or other not being able to lose weight. It will also make a visual about how many empty calories you are taking and might make you cut back. Keep in mind, that alcohol has other affect on your body, including the ability to slow your metabolism.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    How about cherry puckers in carbonated water (is this club? seltzer?)? Or switch to light beer, or white wine. There are a lot of drink options that'd be lower calories than cherry puckers in coke.
  • Lauren38570
    never been big or beer , wine or seltzer , I do log the coke or sprite so if I put 1 0z for 2 servings thats putting it in correctly right?
  • Lauren38570
    i'll be sure to add it , just wanna make sure i Have room in my limit for snacks too but today I added it and didn't go over
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member

Whether you put it in the diary or not, it "counts," and it counts big. Alcohol isn't a low-calorie "food." For me, this site only works if I'm absolutely honest with myself, and that means putting everything in the diary. If it puts you over, then it's detracting from your goal and from your progress, and you need to record that and recognize it. Not counting it doesn't make it not count.

That's my spin. Fudging on our diaries is like cheating at solitaire. Really, who loses?

Good luck!

Kris
  • Lauren38570
    thanks but longa s it don't cause u to go over is that ok?
  • Thriceshy
    thanks but longa s it don't cause u to go over is that ok?

I track everything. That way, if my weight stops moving the way I want it to, I can see exactly what I have been doing and figure out patterns or problems. Part of this process is, for me, learning to be honest and realistic with myself. For me, that means putting everything down so I can see exactly what it is I am doing every day.

Kris
  • Log 'everything'. You would be surprised how it adds up. I use gummy vitamins. Those are 30 calories every day. I sometimes have a peppermint which is 15 calories. If I grab 4 little pretzel sticks but 12 of them are 100 calories, 25 calories. Now look at all those little calories. Those little things I may not count add up to 79 calories. It seems like nothing. You feel like it's nothing. But then at the end of the day, maybe you want 9 mini rice cakes for 60 calories and go over your calories without even knowing it. Then you'll wonder why you aren't losing as fast. Alcohol is high caloried. Soft drinks are high calorie. Artificial sweetners also alter the body's ability to regulate calorie intake. So even diet sodas should be omitted from your diet regardless of how low the calories are. Diet soda also tends to be high in sodium which will make you retain fluid.
  • Lauren38570
    thanks since I drink 2 drinks I put 2 servings of 1 0z cause I put some in to mix it , I will be sure to always log in just making sure thats the right way to log it in , still new at oucnes and serving sizes
  • Thriceshy
    Just a note to say the theory that diet sodas make you gain weight is just that--a theory. The idea that they somehow "alter the body's ability to regulate calorie intake" is utterly unproven--in fact, the conclusions reached in many of these studies tend toward "people gain weight because they think they can eat crappy foods and make up for it with diet drinks." When I was 15, I lost 135 lbs while drinking a (minimum) six pack of diet sodas a day. I kept that weight off for 8 years. I have lost a fair bit in the past few months, and I drink 2-3 diet sodas a day. Some folks believe diet sodas are terrible (and that's perfectly fine--they shouldn't drink anything they think is awful), but as a diabetic, I listen to the American Diabetes Association and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and they say diet sodas are a fine way for diabetics to keep their sugar and weight down.

Oh, and my diet 7-ups? 45 mg of sodium per 12 ounce can. Hardly "high sodium." Even the diet rootbeers are only 100 mg, which isn't much of a sodium hit unless you're having a dozen a day.

Kris