Breakfast ideas

Options
Hi there I'm trying to work out some low calorie easy and quick breakfast ideas any suggestions ? Thank you

Replies

• 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    breakfast is my favorite meal of the day,
    I usually stick to omelettes, I will make a 3 egg omelette, 1/3 cup of shredded cheese, 1/3-1/4 cup of diced ham, sometimes I will add peppers and onions too.

Just the eggs ham and cheese comes to 390 calories and is rather filling.
  • akeena59
    akeena59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try a power smoothie. I feel like I'm getting dessert for breakfast everyday. There's lots of great recipes
  • Silkasmom
    Silkasmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you only use one full egg and two egg whites, you get so many fewer calories and cholesterol in your omelet, but all of the protein you need to get through the morning. Egg whites are only something like 14 calories. It still makes a lot of omelet but is much healthier.
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love my porridge in the mornings which is very quick and keeps me going til lunch most of the time. But my favourite is poached eggs in tomatoes. Just pop the tomatoes in a small frying pan and season. I like pepper. Let it reduce a little then make a cpl of Wells and drop the eggs in. Lid on and eggs will be done in 6 mins depending on the size of the eggs. If you have the calories. ... pop some toast on a plate first then dish up. Om nom nom ;)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just finished a scrambled egg with onion and feta cheese, and a tangerine on the side, less than 400 kcals.
  • periphrastic
    periphrastic Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My go-to lately has been overnight peanut butter oatmeal topped with fruit. It tastes great (a must!) and almost always keeps me full and energized through to lunch, sometimes with the help of a healthy mid-morning snack like carrot sticks or almonds. Here's how I make it:

1/4 cup rolled oats (*Not instant. I use Quaker Oats Old Fashioned.)
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    2 Tbsp. powdered peanut butter (I use PBFit, which is available in Winco's bulk bins)

Whisk, cover, and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, uncover the bowl and pop it in the microwave for 1:30, then top with chopped fruit. I use frozen cherries, strawberries, and blueberries, plus a splash of half and half. Since I use frozen fruit, I like to microwave it for another 30 seconds after topping to defrost the fruit. Sometimes I add a dollop of raw peanut butter, too.

The oatmeal itself is only 162 calories (22g carbs, 10g protein, 3g fiber), and then you can just calculate the calories of the toppings you choose. It's also really easy to mix in protein powder for an extra boost if you need it.
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I second the oats! With protein powder as needed. I make mine with unsweetened soy milk (lactose intolerant), add peanut butter (powder sometimes) and banana. Also really good with cocoa powder and cherries. Cinnamon is a must with any combo. Add a scoop of whey for extra protein. The version I had yesterday was 394 kcal, 18 P, 13 F, 47 C and a whopping 13 grams of fibre, which is key for any filling meal.

Omelettes or egg dishes are also filling. I never do egg whites only because it seems wasteful to me and 2 eggs with cheese/tomato/some low fat meat & 2 slices of toast runs around 400 kcal and keeps me full for a long time. (There are studies that have found that cholesterol levels and egg consumption are unrelated, although I don't know who financed these studies I'm not to worried)

For a to go meal I really like homemade muffins or banana bread with added protein powder, you could also make egg cups, like crustless quiches and reheat/eat them cold. You could do an overnight oatmeal or parfait, if you make it with low-fat Greek yoghurt it will have decent protein too. I like these in summer, in colder temps I heat overnight oats before eating (but not when made with yoghurt). Greek yoghurt with granola& berries is also quick.

I love breakfast haha
  • FindingCynSporation
    Options
    I love breakfast too! During the week, I usually grab a protein bar while at the office. (I get the ones from Costco, as Quest and other known brands give me some type of allergic reaction.) Sometimes I'll pair it with an apple or banana. On the weekends, I make egg-white scrambles (egg-whites from Costco - I love that place!). I'll saute onion, spinach and some tomato, then make the egg whites with a little shredded cheese, and add a whole-wheat English muffin. Dollop some hot sauce on there with some capers, and it's a great, delicious, FILLING breakfast! I use a ton of egg whites, so the whole meal is about 400 calories for me.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I saw a recipe on another thread last week and I tried it this morning, it was outrageously good! Pumpkin Spice Power Shake- 1/2 to 1 cup (I use one 1/2 cup +1/2 cup water) of unsweetened almond milk ( you could use regular milk), 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 frozen banana, a dash or two of pumpkin pie spice and sweetner is optional. My protein powder is already sweetened so I didn't need any extra. You can also throw in some ice cubes to make it colder. 250 calories, 33 carbs, 2 fats, 29 proteins, 320 sodium, 15 sugar (with the protein powder I use, yours may be different.

Typically I eat omeletes made with one egg and two egg whites along with some chopped and sauted veggies and sometimes minced meats such as left over chicken or ham and sometimes with a slice of deli cheeses or some parmesan. Low calorie, usually ranges 157-235 calories of deliciousness.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I love oats, too. I make oatmeal in a Pampered Chef microwave pot at least 5 days a week. Very filling and satisfying. I add 10 chopped raisins, 6 chopped dried cranberries, 1 tsp of fruit spread (marmalade), and a few chopped walnuts to 1/2 cup of oats. I eat right out of the microwave pot so I have less dishes to wash.

What about the other 2 days? One day eggs with whole grain toast, and the other cold cereal with fruit.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eggs, pancake mix & strawberries. Made with non stick spray. Or egg white omelette.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hi there I'm trying to work out some low calorie easy and quick breakfast ideas any suggestions ? Thank you

How low do you need your calories to be? My breakfast generally ranges from 350 to 500. Almost always includes a bowl of cereal - Corn Flakes, Weetabix, Cheerios, Special K, Oats & More, Raisin Bran, etc. with milk and sometimes yogurt. Then there's two slices of toast with one boiled egg, or a slice of ham, or jam or honey. A cup of tea with milk and no sugar.
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Protein Oatmeal Smoothie - This recipe is vegan but you could easily use regular milk or add yogurt to it. You could skip the hemp seeds & protein powder which cut 150 calories from the recipe. While it is a bit high in calories for me I can not believe how well this keeps me feeling full. I really love this recipe. https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/vegan-oatmeal-smoothie-chocolate-protein-thick-creamy/

nx0kuk6nfpud.jpg
  • MadDiggityDog
    MadDiggityDog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found sugary breakfasts with a lot of fruit or a sweetened oatmeal got me started on my sugar kick for the whole day, so I stick to more savory options that I can prep and grab and go to work with.

2 or 3 hard boiled eggs peeled in a snack size ziplock with a little salt, paprika, cayenne, pepper, and chili powder

3/4 c low fat cottage cheese with a handful of blueberries

and for something crunchy I have almonds or a ziplock bag of 3/4C Puffins original cereal.

1-2 cups hot black tea with a splash of milk

It's really filling with all the protein, and doesn't have a lot of sugar, so it doesn't make me crave chocolate afterwards (for once in my life).
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One bowl of hot rice with raw egg stirred vigorously in it.

Time : 1:30 (provided that the rice was already cooked).
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    A few favs lately:
    *Coconut Greek yogurt with a tbs of PB- 245 cals
    *'egg mcmuffin' with a whole wheat english muffin, a slice of cheese, an egg and some turkey lunchmeat or turkey bacon and a bit of butter (opt)- 300 cals
    *a bagel with light cream cheese and an egg white 2oz turkey lunchmeat, and prunes/other fruit on the side- 310 cals
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    yummm ive had the cocunut greek yogurt good stuff! :) i usually try to eat a good brkfst.. its usually later when im @ work but leaving early in am when im not that hungry ill have a banana, or french vanilla coffee, cream of wheat,or over easy egg on a english muffin,3 pcs of turkey bacon, sometimes a smoothie jus made with fresh spinanch,tomatoes,a carrot, grapes,banana,flaxseed,tomatoe juice,grapefruit,kale.. mix up.. sunflower seeds.. have lots of water to on side..
    I need to get this protein power every1s talking bout. pancakes hashbrowns made homemade.. i like breakfast too.. i try to get protein in me soo i can keep going til lunch..
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    I love oats, too. I make oatmeal in a Pampered Chef microwave pot at least 5 days a week. Very filling and satisfying. I add 10 chopped raisins, 6 chopped dried cranberries, 1 tsp of fruit spread (marmalade), and a few chopped walnuts to 1/2 cup of oats. I eat right out of the microwave pot so I have less dishes to wash.

What about the other 2 days? One day eggs with whole grain toast, and the other cold cereal with fruit.

@GreenValli Thanks for sharing your recipe! I've looked at so many bags of dried cranberries and they always seem to contain so much sugar. Have you or anyone else reading this post come across any that don't have sugar in them or contain a lower sugar amount?

Would love to find some if anyone has any suggestions.

• kspart89
    kspart89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My newest favorite is ham egg and cheese cups.
    Thinly sliced ham (or turkey) in a cupcake pan with some cheese and an egg. Bake for 15 mins at 400 degrees. It's a great way to prep breakfast for all week!
    Less calories? Use only the egg white or cut out the cheese.