un-rewards?

Options
I read that instead of creating "rewards" for reaching goals, you create "un-rewards." An example they gave was: "If I don't lose 5 lbs by august, I will give $20 to charity." I wanted to know if anyone else did this and if it was more successful than creating rewards? I have tried rewards and I can't stick to it long enough to get any lol, so maybe if I make a punishment then it will be more effective. Any ideas of what I can do?

Replies

• sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i used to tell myself if i lost 10 pounds i'd get $100 in makeup, or something equivelant. i finally realized that losing the weight and getting to buy new clothes was enough. are you really going to be motivated more by a negative consequence than a positive?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going to the gym but if I have a hard week or a bad eating day then I punish myself with more gym time or a much harder session. It's a win all the way around. My friends hate that I say I am punishing myself because working out shouldn't be a punishment but I still enjoy it.
  • ZenMomentum
    ZenMomentum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Be careful you might start to cheat to punish yourself. Or justify cheating... "Those kids really need the money" etc...

Just make the donation and feel good about that, maybe you won't have the urge to cheat :)

I have used exercise as a consequence which does work on occasion. I am burning off the calories that I consumed so it's more direct.

I still think it's better to work towards a consistent plan and address the reason why I cheat.

--Dave