Suggestion of any specific protein bars/powders based on my gastrointestinal disease?

Options
I have IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease). I had tests and procedures done as well as reporting symptoms so the doctor said its either Crohn's or Colitis. Will be getting a final procedure soon. Long story short, I cannot metabolize fats well and flare so had to go on a low-fat diet. I also had to eliminate dairy and gluten as they were also major contributors. Lastly, I had to stop consuming sugar alcohols and most sweeteners except stevia which I can still handle without any symptoms or effects. Does anyone have a recommended good quality protein bar/powder that's dairy-free, gluten-free, void of sweeteners/sugar alcohols, and low in fat? Sorry if this seems so much to ask but I'm having difficulty on google ruling out a bar that meets the description of everything I listed. I really miss protein bars/powders. They were the perfect snack and meal replacement between college classes, or while working out at the campus gym (protein shakes).

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own that nearly meets your requirements.

Can you eat whey based products?

I make a thick goo from with Knorr gelatine. I add cocoa, chia seeds, and whey powder to the thickening liquid. I then stir in nuts and seven cups puffed grain (if you are avoiding gluten use puffed millet). Use stevia for sweetening. Cut in to bars and keep in the refrigerator.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have been making my own that nearly meets your requirements.

Can you eat whey based products?

I make a thick goo from with Knorr gelatine. I add cocoa, chia seeds, and whey powder to the thickening liquid. I then stir in nuts and seven cups puffed grain (if you are avoiding gluten use puffed millet). Use stevia for sweetening. Cut in to bars and keep in the refrigerator.

Whey comes from dairy. I'd rather not chance it. Even one bite of dairy makes me really ill.
    Do you have a full recipe (measurements and all) for homemade protein bars?

• jgnatca
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I ate one of these today. They look like pressed crap. The taste may be addicting though.

https://www.biosteel.com/en-ca/products/vegan-nutritional-bar/7509
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I have the latest recipe scribbled down at home. I might get around to recording it in a week or so. It would have to be further modified to meet your requirements.

If you don't want to risk whey, get some pea protein.

You may want to experiment with your own portions. Start with the side of the Knorr gelatine box.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    For protein powders, you're going to want some sort of isolate rather than the mixed ones like Vega. You can get pea, hemp, or soy isolate.

For bars, do these fit the bill? I've eaten the vegan ones from Simply Protein and they are pretty good with nice flavours. I'm not totally sure (and if they don't, sorry!) but I had a look at the ingredients and it seemed okay. http://simplyprotein.ca/featured-on-home-page/simply-bar-peanut-butter-15-bar-case
  • CookieMonsterr66
    CookieMonsterr66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite protein bar that is relatively low in sugar, dairy free and gluten free is the genuine health fermented vegan protein bar. You may want to look into hemp or brown rice protein. I find these two more digestible than other dairy-free options.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Try making your own.

These recipes from Amy's Healthy Baking should fit the bill nicely. She uses Bob's Red Mill soy protein isolate. They have just 1 teaspoon of fat in the whole recipe and are bound with either cashew or almond milk and sweetened with stevia.

I make them with rice protein since I can't tolerate soy. I usually double or triple the recipe and make them in a larger container.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease). I had tests and procedures done as well as reporting symptoms so the doctor said its either Crohn's or Colitis. Will be getting a final procedure soon. Long story short, I cannot metabolize fats well and flare so had to go on a low-fat diet. I also had to eliminate dairy and gluten as they were also major contributors. Lastly, I had to stop consuming sugar alcohols and most sweeteners except stevia which I can still handle without any symptoms or effects. Does anyone have a recommended good quality protein bar/powder that's dairy-free, gluten-free, void of sweeteners/sugar alcohols, and low in fat? Sorry if this seems so much to ask but I'm having difficulty on google ruling out a bar that meets the description of everything I listed. I really miss protein bars/powders. They were the perfect snack and meal replacement between college classes, or while working out at the campus gym (protein shakes).

Not that this has anything to do with this but I'd also go low fiber. Fiber is a killer for ibd
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options

Not that this has anything to do with this but I'd also go low fiber. Fiber is a killer for ibd

Thanks for the input. But how will I stay regular then?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are your symptoms mostly diarrhea or constipation? Most people (including myself) have no issues being regular unless we are in remission and prone to obstructions.

Everyone is different but low residue is a standard diet they put ibders who are flaring on. For me fiber causes huge diarrhea and pain issues. Anything that is difficult to digestive my body just doesn't even try. Raw vegetables are the worst.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My symptoms are mostly constipation but it also depends on what I eat. For example:
    Dairy or gluten = constipation, bloat, and cramps
    Salad = diarrhea
    Certain fruits = cramps
    Sweet potatoes and certain gains = cramps and gas
    Nut butters and fatty meats = any of the above
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Check out Isopure Whey Protein isolate....it is plain and can be mixed with pretty much anything. I choose to mix it with chocolate almond milk, baking recipes, oatmeal, etc. Amazon has it.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Finally got around to logging the recipe.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/142265/nanas-energy-bar.html #yegfood Fragrant with cocoa and cinnamon. 116 calories, 4 g of protein, 3 g fat.