Do you log calories from tea and spices?

Options
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but do any of you log the cinnamon you put in your oatmeal or the tea you drink (if you don't add sugar or milk)?

Replies

• terenceadavenport4265
    Options
    I log everything.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Personally no. That's a tad bit extreme if your goal isn't to be on stage for a bodybuilding contest. Each to their own though.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I mostly use spices in recipes, which I log to remember to use.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I do too: from the start, I've been as concerned about macros and micros as I have been about losing/maintaining weight. Those ground spices have a nice chunk of fiber and other things I like to build up on: one little teaspoon of cinnamon has 1g of fiber, and 11mg of potassium, plus a smidge of iron and calcium (and that's just the skeletal profile out of MyFitnessPal. If I ran the stats through on the more complete Cronometer, I'd be even happier). This at a cost of only 6 calories. Pretty good bang for the buck.

I like a lot of spices when I cook, especially since I cut back a lot on salt. So, between the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cardamom, mustard seeds ....... I end up with a tidy little package of macros and micros; and for sure I want to keep track of them.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I was surprised that there were calories in spices I was using. I love spices!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If it has calories and/or sodium, I log it.
  • Summasinsation
    Summasinsation Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I track everything to include my gum. It has sugar....
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    No, I don't use enough of spices for it to matter (and I'm not watching sodium). If it's zero calorie, I'm not spending my time tracking it
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I used to not log, then I logged, then now I just add a quick 50 calories to account for everything extra including any sweeteners.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    Nope. I only log spices when I am building a recipe, just for my own benefit and to know what I used as seasoning. I don't eat or like cinnamon, so that spice is totally out of my radar and pantry.

I log my black coffee with Splenda for breakfast and PM snack as a routine, not because it is essential to weight loss or maintenance. I very seldom drink tea and if I do, I don't log it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've never logged spices, adding a sprinkle of this or that is not going to make me regain the weight I've lost, or completely mess up my weekly deficit. I only log tea because it makes more sense to people who look at my diary, why i care i don't know lol
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    Personally no. That's a tad bit extreme if your goal isn't to be on stage for a bodybuilding contest. Each to their own though.

lol I have to kinda agree with this
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging herbs or spices, something like a sprinkling of cinnemon in my porridge is so light it probably wouldn't even register on my scales
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out what herbs or spices add even 1 calorie per serving!
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I can't figure out what herbs or spices add even 1 calorie per serving!

http://calorielab.com/foods/herbs-and-spices/49
    A serving is an extremely minimal amount of calories for most of them though. :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    no ! Never even occurred to me !
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't keep a log but yes, I do count them. Some seasonings will surprise you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    I don't keep a log but yes, I do count them. Some seasonings will surprise you.
    Yes, but even 1 tsp of a spice or herb is A LOT compared to what you have in one serving of a dish that contains it. Pumpkin pie spice, for example, is 19 cals per TABLESPOON, which sounds like it's worth logging, but you (I) don't put that much in a whole pie and certainly not in a smoothie or however else you might use it. Cinnamon is 6 cals per TEAspoon, but I don't put that much in a whole pot of oatmeal, so one bowl might be 1 calorie worth of cinnamon. Just sayin'.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If in a recipe, yes, which is most of the time. I log any drink if it has calories (is sweetened).