Breakfast food - please help!

Options
I get insanely hungry in the morning. Soon after I wake up, in one instant I get so hungry that I feel nauseous. The lowest calorie/fat breakfast food that I know to eat is cereal, since things like fruit wouldn't get rid of my hunger. But cereal is still pretty high in calories because I need to eat more than the 1/2 cup serving to not feel starving. Is there anything that is a lower calorie breakfast food that would get rid of hunger? Is there a low calorie cereal or something like it?

Replies

• pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    To satiate hunger, you need to add fat and protein to your meals.

Having bacon and eggs (sans toast) for breakfast keeps me full until lunch.
  • Nytram81
    Nytram81 Posts: 44
    Options
    I've heard alot of people talking about adding rolled oats, fruit and some skimmed milk and ice cubes into a blender, whizz it together and then drink it. Fast, healthy and yummy :-)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal will fill you up and it will stick with you longer than say Cheerios or Corn Flakes. Don't be afraid of the calories unless they are empty calories.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    To satiate hunger, you need to add fat and protein to your meals.

^^^this^^
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need protein in the morning. My favorite breakfast is egg beaters, with salsa & low fat cheeese in a whole wheat tortilla with coffee :drinker:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal for breakfast

Other suggestions would be

fruit & cottage cheese
    Apple & cheese strings
    toast and peanut butter

I just made an awesome quiche. You can bake it, freeze it in portions.

If you really "need" cereal then try kashi go lean, it's high in protein compared to other cereals.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    I eat 0% fat fage greek yogurt with about a 1/6 of a cup of berries and natural fake sugar (if that makes sense). It usually fills me up for a few hours. Sometimes I have a slice of multigrain toast with marmalade or an english muffin, sometimes just the yogurt and berries. However I am newish to this so who knows, but it is low in calories and does fill me up even more than cereal (which I LOVE and agree, don't like the 3/4 of a cup situation!)
  • rwcloud
    rwcloud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!!!
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hate breakffast foods and I eat "lunch" and "dinner" type meals for breakfast most of the time. I'd rather have a turkey sandwich or leftover pasta or whatever for breakfast. I usually average around 300 calories for breakfast. As long as it's high fiber and protein it doesn't have to be the traditional eggs, cereal, yogurt (HATE yogurt!!!!), etc
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your blood sugar is dropping low in the mornings. You might look into having a fasting blood sugar test. But in answer to you question, someone else already mentioned the solution- protein and fat. Eggs, cheese, peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, or ham are all good choices. Pair them with fresh fruit for a low-carb way to keep from starving before lunch.
  • pastancil
    pastancil Posts: 10
    Options
    Healthy Life English Muffin (80 calories, multigrain or whole wheat) with Peanut Butter and a bowl of fruit. Total calories around 225-250 depending on how much and the kind of fruit.
  • ninaisaac
    ninaisaac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try instant oatmeal. I like the plain with a packet of splenda and a handful of raisins. I usually eat breakfast around 7:30 am & that keeps me pretty full until about 10:30 am - 11:00 am. It's about 150 calories for 1 packet of instant oatmeal & a tbsp of raisins. Eggs in the morning is also a good choice. Try the Hungy Girl website. She's got a few "Egg Mug" recipes that are super simple & only take about 3-5 min to make.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat cereal for breakfast unless it is old fashioned oatmeal and no matter what, I "always" eat more protein; usually turkey bacon and egg beaters scrambled with olive oil. Also try fat-fee yogurt with granola. But, please don't forget the protein!!
  • gila24
    gila24 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I second the fat free greek yogurt, it is high in protein, I mix it with a fruit, nuts or oatmeal
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You must eat more protein! It helps curb hunger and it great to start your day! Egg whites, yogurt, and oatmeal with strawberries are great to start the day if you feel really hungry or nauseous. I just drink coffee because I'm the exact opposite of you... I get sick if I eat something! I don't know why, but I haven't been able to eat in the mornings since I was a kid....it would come right back up!
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 breakfasts. Something smaller, like a Fiber One 90 calorie bar or a 1/2 serving of a Fiber One cereal at around 6am and then later on, like 9am, I'll have double fiber whole wheat bread with peanut butter or Best Life margarine and a hot cup of coffee or tea. The combination of the fiber and the hot drink always fills me up. It depends on your calorie allotment. I eat around 1400-1500 calories, so i can afford 400-500 calories for breakfast.
  • OpenWindow
    OpenWindow Posts: 15
    Options
    I bought fat free cinnamon raisin english muffins and they are DELICIOUS! I am also going to hard boil some eggs this week and alternate the english muffins with those :) Good luck!
  • agcb13
    agcb13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should probably check with a doctor to have a fasting glucose test done. My breakfast this morning was chicken apple sausage (1 link) sliced, green bell pepper & onion (sauteed) all grilled together and a glass of orange juice for 237 calories.

I'm not a fan of eggbeaters but I find that if you mix them with things such as turkey bacon or turkey sausage, or even veggies you can't tell the difference from a whole egg.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat scrambled 2 egg whites with bell pepper, .5 oz deli turkey breast and half of slice of american cheese cooked with butter
    cooking spray (0 calories). I eat it with one slice of whole wheat bread and coffee with 1:4 cup 1% milk no sugar. It's only 220 calories and keeps me full till lunch. Definitely you need protein, fiber, and a little of good oil to stay full.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was given a free sample box of a fairly new cereal called Wheaties Fuel. I tried it and liked it so now that's what I have for breakfast with a little skim milk and a sliced banana or other fruit. The cereal has 210 calories in 3/4 cup, which is not too bad. I think it's important to eat something fairly substantial for breakfast because otherwise I don't have energy for the day. In the winter my husband usually makes Irish Oats steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, which is quite good and filling at about 150 calories per serving (made from 1/4 cup dry). We have it with Splenda, blueberries and cinnamon.