Ladies 40+ Migraines?

Options
I am hoping to hear from women who began having migraines in their 40's. If you have migraines:
* have you always had migraines or did you only begin having them in your 40's?
* How often do you have them?
* What do you feel during the prodrome and postdrome phases?
* Do you also have a visual aura?
* If you get the aura is it always on the same side or does it alternate?
* Is your migraine usually on the same side or opposite side as your aura?
* Any other input about your experience with migraines is welcome.

Thank you!

Replies

• nurees
    nurees Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    47 here. I get one like clockwork a couple of days before TOM. Just started the past several months. Drop in estrogen. Always the left side behind ear. I take a cocktail of Advil and Excedrin Migraine.
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had them all my life I am only 27, I get them once a week at lease
    I always get the eye aura most ly on the same side it normally wipes me out for a couple of days.
    I also lose uses of my left side of my body including tongue.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For a long time. Probably since my teens.
    Hormone related usually. Period and ovulation. Sometimes other times/triggers but always at least one episode during my period.
    Before migraine headache pain begins I am often overly sensitive to touch, smell, light, feel of clothes, etc. Not exactly painful just feel intensely annoyed by the sensations like I want to rip my skin off because my shirt feels bad. I usually don't experience visual auras.
    Nausea, tiredness, sometimes dizziness after.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I always get the eye aura most ly on the same side it normally wipes me out for a couple of days.

How terrible! I used to get horrid migraines with no aura in my teenage years. Now at this stage in life they seem to be making a come back only now I get the aura but the migraine pain is less severe. I hope yours eventually stop altogether. I have heard that after menopause they go away.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    For a long time. Probably since my teens.
    Hormone related usually. Period and ovulation. Sometimes other times/triggers but always at least one episode during my period.
    Before migraine headache pain begins I am often overly sensitive to touch, smell, light, feel of clothes, etc. Not exactly painful just feel intensely annoyed by the sensations like I want to rip my skin off because my shirt feels bad. I usually don't experience visual auras.
    Nausea, tiredness, sometimes dizziness after.

I have realized that I get nauseous well before. That usually lasts during the headaches also. I do get a little dizziness and fatigued. I am just beginning to put all these symptoms together. I am keeping a very detailed log. It really blows me away at all the innocent little things that have turned out to be warnings of an impending migraine.
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    Options

How terrible! I used to get horrid migraines with no aura in my teenage years. Now at this stage in life they seem to be making a come back only now I get the aura but the migraine pain is less severe. I hope yours eventually stop altogether. I have heard that after menopause they go away.

I can only hope mine will go away effect my life so bad. In the nov I'm having operation but I'm hoping it will help x
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I was on an anti-depressant after our pregnancy loss, but stopped taking them abruptly. Worse decision of my life. I wanted someone to kill me. My jaw, my head felt like I was being stabbed from the inside. It was all on the left side of my head, from my temple to my ear and radiating up and down in that area. It's been 2 years but I still get them. If I can catch them early enough, a hot compress and darkness helps. I'm 39. It is worse around that time of the month, or if I consume too much caffeine.