Stuck at a plateau

Options
I need some suggestions. I am stuck at a plateau. I have successfully built muscle while simultaneously losing weight. I only have 8 lbs left to reach my goal (currently down 92lbs). I follow a vegan lifestyle. I do weight training 4x per week (1 chest day, 1 back day, 2 leg days) and run 5km 3x per week. I log my food intake in this program. I can't seem to get rid of the last 8lbs. Any suggestions? (5'3", 135lbs).

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Although it may go against what you are currently doing to some extent, have you thought about low carb high fat? The change up might do the trick. check out dietdoctor.com
  • amandasquist
    amandasquist Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    Although it may go against what you are currently doing to some extent, have you thought about low carb high fat? The change up might do the trick. check out dietdoctor.com

My husband follows this (ketogenic diet). Carbs will be hard to cut down though, being vegan. I guess it's worth a try!!
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you weren't in a calorie deficit?
  • amandasquist
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your loss! Now that you're close to the end, those last pounds can be very difficult to get rid of as you have less room for error. You need to make sure your logging is as accurate as possible, including using a food scale if need be.

In addition, have you taken diet breaks along the way? 1-2 weeks at maintenance may help you as well.

I haven't taken any "diet breaks", but I'm not really on a "diet". I am totally honest with my logging. Thank you for your congratulations!!

• amandasquist
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    When's the last time you weren't in a calorie deficit?

I follow between 1200-1400 calories per day. I sometimes take my exercise into account, other times I don't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food

It's always about calories

I don't understand how the "I'm nor really on a diet" equates to " eating 1200-1400 calories"
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »

My husband follows this (ketogenic diet). Carbs will be hard to cut down though, being vegan. I guess it's worth a try!!

on dietdoctor.com they have a section for vegetarians...i know vegan not the same but it might help
  • brithlp_mfp
    brithlp_mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've been at plateau for nearly 3 weeks - it's so frustrating! It must be more so for you being so close to your final goal.

Like @EdieEd says, it's recommended to increase a little and then switch back. I'm going to try that. Fingers crossed :)
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To break a plateau, I suggest that you "change it up" As you become more fit, I find that you don't burn as many calories your HR should be lower. Congrats! You're fit! I find I have to add to the length of my ride or change and climb hills. I might have to add more weight when I am in the gymn or add another rep. I have heard the one about going on a maint diet and then go back to your usual diet. That can work too as long as you go back to your usual diet.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've been at plateau for nearly 3 weeks - it's so frustrating! It must be more so for you being so close to your final goal.

Like @EdieEd says, it's recommended to increase a little and then switch back. I'm going to try that. Fingers crossed :)

That isn't a plateau, that's normal, keep the faith. Eating more will never be a solution to not losing.