Eating the foods you hate

Anyone tried to force themselves to eat the foods they hate until the liked them. How was the experience and did you have success.

I'm tackling nuts and seeds, I've always hated these it's the last food type on a long list of foods to definitely be avoided by my former picky eater self. I'm starting by adding them to yoghurts, oats and adding a sprinkling in some recipies.

Day 1 - 3 I couldn't help but pull a face at the taste and they had a horrible aftertaste
Day 4 - just a slight aftertaste and no pulling faces (or did I just add more yoghurt)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Unless it was a major food group with a huge variety and nutrient profile that is difficult to match elsewhere, like vegetables, then heck no

Ya don't like nuts and seeds, don't eat em..they are hardly ubiquitous or that unique a nutrient profile
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Why on earth would I force myself to eat foods that I hate?

This.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    No, never. I wouldn't do that to myself.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    The only time I was forced to eat thing I hated was inpatient and day hospitalization eating disorder programs and I still harbour resentment towards the for doing that.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I LOVE best foods mayonnaise & really disliked low cal mayo. I've been using the low cal & it's ok. I don't have mayo every day. The most surprising one are egg whites. I never had egg whites before but the thought of it sounded disgusting. now i use i whole egg & 1-2 egg whites & make a veggie omelet. I can't tell the difference.
    I'v been discovering a lot of foods I hardly ever ate or never ate. It's fun. Maybe she found that seeds & nuts are something she should be putting into her diet, maybe it works out well as a snack? I used to make my own trail mix & munch on it at work, since there was no time for breaks most of the time.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    No. Never. Will never, unless my life literally depends on it. Otherwise, why?
  • elsing84
    elsing84 Posts: 17 Member
    Sorry never mind
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    I eat a wide and varied enough diet to not need to force myself to eat anything I hate. Both the boys are extremely picky, though (ASD) and I do encourage them to gently nudge at the boundaries, particularly with the eldest who goes through phases of limiting his diet until he becomes bored of the few things he will try, then having to force himself to expand it, again.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I think it's cool that you are trying new things as a picky eater. There were always some foods we hated as kids, but grew to like as adults. I eat a lot more veggies now that I didn't like before , and now my taste buds prefer them over any sweets or packaged foods. See how you feel over time, there may be some nuts/seeds that you find you like and others you don't.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    How you eat things can make a difference. If I gave my youngest a bowl of nuts and seeds, he'd walk away. Spread some nut butter on some seeded bread and he can't get it down him fast enough.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Actually, yes == and that's exactly how to develop a taste for things. You can also start by camouflaging whatever it is by hiding it in other foods. With a category like nuts, is it the consistency you dislike or the taste? Different nuts taste very different from each other. I find, for example, that walnuts are yucky by themselves and only tolerable in cookies but good in maple-walnut ice cream. Pecans and almonds are yummy. Don't discard a whole category of food because you don't like some of them.

Why would you want to develop a more catholic palate? Because it's FUN!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I wouldn't want to waste the calories on things I don't like. But if you are a super picky eater and it's hard to find variety and nutrition, then I can see why you'd keep trying.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    You can have nut oils instead of the actual nuts if you want the minute nutrients they have. Otherwise, ditch them. I don't like eggplant but one day I'm gonna eat it, just cause. I use to hate avocado as a young person, now, I absolutely adore them.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Why would you subject yourself to foods you absolutely hate? I'm all for trying a food every now & then to see if you like it tried different cooking ways, but once you find you can't tolerate a food I see no reason in torturing oneself by eating it.

If it's fruits or vegetables that you're talking about there's so many options out there that you don't have to eat anything you hate.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited October 2016
    No. If I don't like it, there's a reason. Forcing myself to eat it isn't going to change that. I am eating foods I never would've tried before, thanks to my husband who doesn't act like an *kitten* (aka, OMG that's money we'll never get back) when I try something new and don't like it. FTR, I am a picky eater.

ETA: Lel, it changed it to *kitten*, so I linked the definition of the word I meant and it came up as what I originally typed.