124»

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I don't know why I can't see your diary, perhaps it's because of my stupid phone. When you lost your weight were you low carb? When you started you were paying attention to calories, but what about salt?

I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the majority of your weight loss and gain were water?

at the time I dropped significant amount of weight, I cut out all salts and sugars and only had carbs in the morning (my granola). I found that diet very unrealistic for my daily life however.

So, by cutting salt in the beginning...it's possible that a significant amount of your loss was water instead of fat, and when you found it unrealistic if you went back to a high salt level that water would just be retained all over again.

I think I'd at least try a low(er) sodium diet for a week or two and see if it melts off again.

...worth a shot anyway ;)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I don't know why I can't see your diary, perhaps it's because of my stupid phone. When you lost your weight were you low carb? When you started you were paying attention to calories, but what about salt?

I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the majority of your weight loss and gain were water?

at the time I dropped significant amount of weight, I cut out all salts and sugars and only had carbs in the morning (my granola). I found that diet very unrealistic for my daily life however.

I eat anything and everything. I eat salt, sugar and carbs. I usually have 50-60% of my calories from carbs and I've lost 112 lbs since last July, but you know what I do do? I weigh every single non-liquid food I eat. Labels are not 100% accurate. My English muffins are almost always 10% heavier than the package claims. I weighed a serving of random dry pasta from my cabinet. The bag says a serving is one cup or 56g. You can see by the picture that one level cup is actually 81g. If you are just measuring you would be consuming 289 calories while logging having only consumed 200 calories. That's 44.5% more calories than the measurement on the package claims verses using the weight. Always weigh!

8tfak7fk03tk.jpg

Probably the best example I've seen in a long time.

Thanks. I made it because the visual always helps the explanation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OP is your diary accurate?? I went back a week and your calories are incredibly/too low, plenty low enough that the weight should be falling off you..

435 calories
    719 ''
    983 "
    1322 "
    1109 "
    1180 "
    974 "

If you are truly only eating so few calories and you are gaining or not losing weight, then i would go to a doctor asap and get some blood tests run.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I can't see where she even answered the question about weighing her foods? This thread was started like in March 2015. Hard to tell if she took all that advice on board or not.
  • fitbisi
    fitbisi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I believe counting way deep on the calorie figures could get you crazy. What I do simple and basic, burn more than I eat. The only detail I focus on is my fat% against my carbs %
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're just constantly playing with water weight

Low sodium low carb = glycogen and water stripping

Revert to normal it comes back

Do the calorie counting and strength training

There is no other solution or trick
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Perfect advice.

It's not the food, it's the calories.

Use a food scale.
    Stop guessing.
    Log diligently.

You have dressing in tablespoons, some are up to 5TBS worth. It is better to weigh it.

You use cups to cereal/granola. Weigh these.

Weigh your fruit and veg.

Lots of home made 'I piece' entries. Weigh the entire dish, then divide the weight by the number of servings and use that single serving weight.

1.55 of a slice of cotton cheesecake?? 0.25 of a slice of home made cheesecake? Did you enter this and everything that you made in the recipe builder or are you using existing entries.

Logging is sporadic. Sometimes you're way under 1000 calories (not good at all!) and just a couple of times you've over by 600-800 calories.

Eat more variety. You're mostly eating salads and drinking smoothies. You need to vary your diet. You at mostly carbs. Bump up your protein and fat.

I see you were given this advice last year. What happened?

There is no way you wouldn't be losing weight if you were truly eating that little all the time. I see some entries where you went over by almost 900. This is your body telling you to fuel it properly to avoid the binges.

I eat anything and everything. I eat salt, sugar and carbs. I usually have 50-60% of my calories from carbs and I've lost 112 lbs since last July, but you know what I do do? I weigh every single non-liquid food I eat. Labels are not 100% accurate. My English muffins are almost always 10% heavier than the package claims. I weighed a serving of random dry pasta from my cabinet. The bag says a serving is one cup or 56g. You can see by the picture that one level cup is actually 81g. If you are just measuring you would be consuming 289 calories while logging having only consumed 200 calories. That's 44.5% more calories than the measurement on the package claims verses using the weight. Always weigh!

8tfak7fk03tk.jpg

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

8tfak7fk03tk.jpg

Probably the best example I've seen in a long time.

WOW now that is an eye opener!
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten really good advice so far.
    I just wanted to chime in to say I loved your cosplays! :)
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If I can address the weighing of food issue.. at the time a year ago.. I was diagnosed as atypical anorexic to which I wasnt allowed to be in the possession of a scale as it made my control over food far stronger and more or a concern.The reason it was such an issue was my body was no longer funtioning at a strong state despite being within a "normal weight" category. Now Ive been on a road to recovery which has made it easier to accept weight gain but I still do not wish to let it escalate. I am more than confident enough now to make variety more of a lifestyle (however that being said, I enjoy salads daily and smoothies so having them multiple times in a week doesnt bother me) but better portioning all around is more my goal.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If you don't use a scale then drop your calories by 100 calories per day. You are overestimating your intake.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like the recommendations for looking into strength training: I've read Starting Strength cover to cover. It is nice for learning how to do lifting correctly (with good form) but it's VERY focused on strength gains (not on aesthetics at all). In fact, if you ever listen to an interview with the author Mark Rippetoe, he'll come right out and say that he didn't design the program with aesthetics in mind, he says it's for gaining strength and says you'll gain muscle and fat. The diet suggested would be great for an 18 year old guy looking to gain a lot of muscle. The program may be too difficult for a total novice unless you have a trainer or knowledgeable workout partner. But, I definitely would recommend checking out the book just to learn proper form. I've completed part of it--working through it now with my own eating plan.

Muscle for Life/Michael Matthews is an excellent resource (check out the podcasts if you like to listen to podcasts while commuting or exercising). I haven't read his books, but have listened to enough podcasts that I'd recommend his books--the ones more recently published. He seems to listen to feedback from people who complete his programs and tries to build on successes (both men and women).

Any of the New Rules of Lifting (especially New Rules of Lifting for Women) would be great and they include information about eating for your goals. I've read NROL for Women, NROL for Abs, NROL Supercharged, and Strong. And, I did 2 of them. I have friends who have done them all.

Strong Curves is highly recommended by a number of my friends (all women). I haven't done it, but could recommend it based on their feedback.

And, the best resource is your local library. My library carries almost all of the above books. I check them out, read them, and then decide if it's something I'd follow or not.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified... I'm currently at 138lbs as of this afternoon.
    I personally would like to be around 125 ideally. but I'm more concerned with finding foods to lower bloating and toning my body. I can put two and two together as far as the obvious weight gain = you eat too much but I'm constantly told I dont eat enough. I believe a contributor to my weight gain is going days without eating consistently and then on weekends trying to regulate it. What Im looking for is tips to eating more regularly and meals that will fill me up longer but not high caloric intake. Thank you.

The bolded bit made me think you are/were an anorexic, and further on, you say you used to be.

"Bloating" is often just imaginary, and/or Body Dysmorphia.

Food can't tone you.

Forget about the scale. Look at this.

Bodycomposition_zpsm5a62vpd.jpg

muscle_zpsqquja4ua.jpg

You might be "heavier" due to muscle.

I don't necessarily think the middle of the healthy BMI is perfect for everyone.

I recommend asking a trusted friend or adult if you are too fat/thin.