Afraid I'll gain more than lose on 30 day shred.

Options
I'm 16 and weigh 170, I've been doing the 30 Day Shred for 3 days (tomorrow will be 4) and I'm starting to get afraid I'll gain muscle instead of getting rid of the fat like I want. I noticed today my size 12 jeans were really tight on my thighs but very loose on my waist which makes me think I'm getting musle.
Help?
On top of 30 day shred I usually walk 1-3 miles monday throu Friday. I also take walks with my dog and I work as a Page (so I'm constantly moving up and down!)

Help?

Replies

• ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle with calorie reduced diets. I hear week 3 is when the weight starts coming off and the inches you lose will be amazing. Keep in mind that you'll have this body for a long time and the extra muscle fibers you might build will help you burn more fat in the long run.
  • Caitttlinn
    Options
    I'll be really happy if I lose, my weight has been so stubborn coming off!
    This makes me feel much better :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You need muscle to more efficiently burn calories.
  • PinkButterfly77
    Options
    I just finished the Ripped in 30 and I loved it! Granted there were times I was screaming at Jillian through the TV, but I got rid of most of my arm flab and I have leaner muscles and musles in places I haven't seen for years! I also do walking (2 miles a day on average) and I alternate with the workout video. You will be surprised. Don't worry about gaining muscle - more muscle helps you burn more calories, faster! So it's definately a great thing! Keep it up! :smile:
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of level 2 and I have lost some weight, but I've noticed a bigger change in how my body looks. I've lost inches more though
  • lisapickering
    Options
    You will likely gain muscle but it won't be bulky. 1lb of muscle is much smaller than 1lb of fat. In addition muscle burns fat so the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn.
  • vvillalo83
    vvillalo83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yay for 30 day shred! I do that workout too! In two weeks i went from doing like 5 girly pushups to 10 full out real ones! Don't worry about the muscle. It will be lean, and help you burn fat faster. Women build muscle differently than men. Good luck!
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Go by the measurements not by the scale! I've lost 2 inches off my waist with 30 day shred so far ( but no wreight) Who cares about a number when your clothes fit better!
  • devildogmom
    Options
    Where is this Shred Diet ??
    I would like to look at it ..
    I need something besides just counting calories
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    30 day Shred by Jillian Michaels. She is a tough evil woman...lol...but she gets you results quickly :)
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Muscle, while it does weigh more than fat, is much more compact. It takes up less room, so if your pants are tight on your thighs, it's either from fat gain or it's in your head. People worry so much about gaining weight from muscle, but you'd have to workout like a bodybuilder, slamming protein in order to really gain weight from muscle, especially as a woman. Strength training is excellent to lose weight and get smaller. Muscle burns so many more calories than fat, even when sleeping. If you are that concerned, use lighter weights(2-3lbs) for the 30DS, but you really don't have anything to worry about. I strength train 4-5 days a week and am losing weight and clothing sizes.
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you keep it up, your thighs will follow suit (or fall in line) and slim down to. =)

I would recommend adding in stretching and lengthening exercises (you want long lean muscles). I like to use pilates and yoga stretching after the workout, I've noticed a huge difference! =)

ETA: When you walk, focus on taking the longest (not fastest) stride you can. When my husband and I met 3yrs ago, I had SUPER thin shapely legs and all I did was walk + stretching. But I focused on long long strides (I didn't have any friends, even those who "worked out") that could keep up with me!