Low Carb Breakfast?

Options
Hi everyone...

Since the 1200 calories diet didnt work for a whole month, I decided to switch to a ''carb diet''.

Today, I only ate 30g of carbs...

My question is :

First : Is 30g a day good for a low carb diet? Since I used to eat 150g easily!

Second : Does any of you have any low carb breakfast recipes? I always eat 2 yogourt + protein in the morning... My 2 yogourts are 10 g of carbs...

I adoreeeee eggs, I only eat white eggs...But i decided to eat it at lunch with a salad...

Anyone who has ideas pls tell me, I kind of have a sweet tooth :S lol

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly low carb, but good carb: I mix oatmeal, protein powder, and cinnamon. I also add flax seed and wheat germ. Turkey sausage and an english muffin also good. Hope this helps. I get stuck in food ruts.
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

It is seriously hard to watch all the carbs... There is some everywhere!!!!!! lolol

I eat two 35 calories yogourt with 0 fat (source or silhouette) but there is 5g of carbs in each one.... :S
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump...i'd like to read the replies on this...
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey bacon and whatever fresh fruit I have on hand.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Try eating clean & watching sugar. Change your settings to 40 protein, 30 carbs and 30 fat.
    I do not eat yogurt.
    I eat eggs for breakfast and protein shake (with water - not milk)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey bacon and whatever fresh fruit I have on hand.

I worry about the fat & sodium in turkey bacon. It is also processed so I try to avoid. Also, fruit has a lot of sugar and carbs.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was sooo tired of eggs so I came up with a few Ideas:

-Steak
    -Salmon with cream cheese, capers and onions
    -Cottage cheese with tomatoes
    -Tuna Salad
    -Creamed spinach..I saute onion in 1 tsp olive oil, I add 1 tablespoon 1/2 and 1/2 then 1 ounce Parmesan cheese
    -Sautéed Mushroom and onions with 1 once feta or provolone cheese.
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    same here my calorie diet wasnt giving me the results i needed and my trainer coworker told me not to count calories whatsoever to watch my carbs and sugar intake. since shes an expert im going to listen to her! lol. but im curious as to how im going to do this since im sort of stuck on counting calories. its kinda a diffcult to shift to carbs, and im not even sure how many carbs i should be consuming a day. any recipes or easy foods i should be doing would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have everyday...one egg fried with pam, topped with cheddar cheese and one slice if wholewheat bread with a little mayo or butter....I add turkey bacon some days.
    I loveeeeee eggs...one weekends I do scrambled eggs with cheese :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you eat "low fat" foods, you're going to get extra carbs because they have to use something to replace the fat. On a low carb diet, you shouldn't be eating "low fat" anything, otherwise, the vast majority of where you'll be getting your calories will have to be from protein (not necessarily a bad thing, but hard to do). Try regular yogurt. You'll probably find that it has less carbs. There are low carb yogurts out there, too.

30 grams of carbs per day is fine, if you don't mind missing out on most carb heavy foods. Those on the Atkins diet eat 20 grams of carbs or less for the first two weeks. The possible difference between them and what you are doing is that they get at least 12 grams of those carbs from green and leafy vegetables which leaves less than 8 for things like yogurt. They then slowly add in carbs until they can continue to lose weight at a good, but safe, pace. 30 grams is right in line with that.

I'd say that if you're looking for idea, check out Atkins acceptable foods lists and recipes on their website. You'd want to look at Phase 2 since that's essentially what you're doing now. You should be able to get lots of good ideas.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    There are some great breakfast recipes on Mark's Daily Apple in the recipe section too but here are a couple I use:

Uncured bacon chopped up(I use 1 slice chopped small) saute with a tbsp of chopped onion and some veggies like zucchini, spinach, a little tomato, mushrooms, whatever you like then add your egg and cheese and scramble to make an omelet. Don't forget the fiber comes off the top so when you look at your carbs at the end of the day make sure you subtract the fiber. I have fiber as one of my columns to count so it's easy to subtract.

I also like flax muffins I make them in a batch and keep refrigerated they last for about 2 weeks and the recipe makes 24 mini muffins. This is a batch recipe but if you google minute flax muffin microwaveable single serve versions will come up also.

2 cups ground flax
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/4 cup oil (I use coconut or olive)
    1/3 cup water
    1 TBSP sweetener ( I use xylitol)
    5 eggs

Spray a mini muffin pan (or regular muffin pan) with cooking spray and fill cups just below full and bake at 350F for about 25 min for minis and 35 or so for regular muffins. You want them nice and brown or they will not be done in the middle. This also makes a great pizza crust or focaccia if you line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread it evenly. For pizza make about half the mix and spread thinner.

Flax is all fiber so the net carbs are next to nothing on this. You can add anything you like in the way of spices and you can add more sweetener and cinnamon for a sweeter muffin. My favorite is 1 tbsp caraway seed and 1TBSP dried minced onion reconstituted in about 2 TBSP of water and some onion and garlic powder- this makes a rye bread that is great for mini sandwiches.
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Oh and most days I stay around 50 gms of carb and I am just fine. Under 100gms (total not effective) for most is still weightloss range but for me I have to stay 60gm or less on a regular basis to lose.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I do not particularly watch carbs, but if I can I eat eggs for breakfast.
    I often eat with egg/ham/ cheese / bagel sandwich, but on weekends I skip the bagel and just eat more eggs ;)
    When I eat only eggs, I put some veggies, a whole gren or red pepper, a bunch of asparagus, eggplant mine most frequent choices. I sprinkle on it some shredded cheese and that is the perfect breakfast to me.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do Atkins. I stay at 20 net g's of carbs a day. About 2 cups of lettuce and another cup of veggies (broccoli, tomato, onion, squash). I try to get 12 of my 20 from veggies. For breakfast, you can easily do eggs or omelets with green peppers, tomatoes or onions, plus cheese. Sometimes I'll have a quick flax-muffin (you can do a search on here for "Muffin in a Minute") with some sausage or bacon. I avoid yogurt, because that is a big chunk of my daily carbs.
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hard-boiled eggs...I've been eating only the whites
    cottage cheese
    walnuts (or other nut)...but the fat content is high.

I can't seem to stomach too much meat in the mornings.
    Also love fruit and yogurt, but the sugar kills me when I start my day that way!

Good luck! :)
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb-ing too. You can check out my diary for ideas if you like. My breakfast is usually a microwave muffin-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/258089-low-carb-microwave-muffin?hl=microwave+muffin#posts-3409021
    Breakfast does seem hard, I prefer a sweet breakfast to a savory one as well.
  • divalovely
    divalovely Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Veggie Quiche Cups(South Beach Recipe) LOVE IT!! You can make a batch ahead of time, freeze them and when you need a quick grab and go low carb breakfast choice just microwave and go!!

1 pkg(10oz) frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 c liquid egg substitute
    3/4 c shredded cheese(red fat)
    1/4 c diced green bell peppers
    1/4 c diced onions
    3 drops of hot pepper sauce(optional)

Microwave the spinach for 21/2 mins. Drain the excess liquid. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.

Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 mins or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

77cals, 9g protein, 3g carbs, 3g fat, 2 g fiber

Hope this helps:)
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump so i can reply later ...
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There are some great breakfast recipes on Mark's Daily Apple in the recipe section too but here are a couple I use:

Uncured bacon chopped up(I use 1 slice chopped small) saute with a tbsp of chopped onion and some veggies like zucchini, spinach, a little tomato, mushrooms, whatever you like then add your egg and cheese and scramble to make an omelet. Don't forget the fiber comes off the top so when you look at your carbs at the end of the day make sure you subtract the fiber. I have fiber as one of my columns to count so it's easy to subtract.

I also like flax muffins I make them in a batch and keep refrigerated they last for about 2 weeks and the recipe makes 24 mini muffins. This is a batch recipe but if you google minute flax muffin microwaveable single serve versions will come up also.

2 cups ground flax
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/4 cup oil (I use coconut or olive)
    1/3 cup water
    1 TBSP sweetener ( I use xylitol)
    5 eggs

Spray a mini muffin pan (or regular muffin pan) with cooking spray and fill cups just below full and bake at 350F for about 25 min for minis and 35 or so for regular muffins. You want them nice and brown or they will not be done in the middle. This also makes a great pizza crust or focaccia if you line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread it evenly. For pizza make about half the mix and spread thinner.

Flax is all fiber so the net carbs are next to nothing on this. You can add anything you like in the way of spices and you can add more sweetener and cinnamon for a sweeter muffin. My favorite is 1 tbsp caraway seed and 1TBSP dried minced onion reconstituted in about 2 TBSP of water and some onion and garlic powder- this makes a rye bread that is great for mini sandwiches.

Thanks for sharing...will have to give this a try. Is it ground flax seed? or does it come like a flour??
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    The package actually says milled flax seed and it works like a flour but is just flax seeds ground up.