Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and I told my girls I want a heart rate monitor. Any suggestions as to what is the best kind? The ones at Wal-Mart that you put on your wrist are either $27.77 or 39.99. Should they go to a sporting goods store instead? Any input appreciated!

Replies

• missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my polar... got it at Sears AFTER I took the one from Walmart that didnt work back... get one with a chest strap no matter what brand you get!
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I just got the New Balance N4 and I love it. It is something like $69.99 at Wal-Mart and Target, but I got mine on eBay, brand new for half the cost.

Just make sure whatever you get has the chest strap.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    polar ft4 is 65 on amazon, free shipping. got mine last week. love it so far!
  • Goalinsight
    Goalinsight Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 (It has a chest strap which is essential, I think). Works really well. Love it so far. I bought mine here in Ireland but I'm sure you could get them at a good price on-line.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would go to a sporting goods store and ask for a Polar. My husband and I both have the Polar FT4 and it's awesome!!
    Will cost 80-130$ though depending on where you live.

No matter what though you want one WITH a chest strap!!
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    lol this looks familiar! I just did the same thing yesterday> i took everyones advice and got the Polar FT4. It was 89.99 at my loking sporting goods store and WELL worth the money. You get what you pay for!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do not get one from Walmart.. all that you are going to wind up doing is returning it because of how inaccurate they are.

You need an HRM that has a chest strap and that lets you input all you're information(weight, height, gender, age and Vo2max if that's an option).

I personally have the Polar FT7 and bought it off drugstore.com for 79.99. It's really easy to use/set up plus the strap is really comfortable.

You can also go to like best buy or a sporting goods store they should all have them.
  • azdmelani
    azdmelani Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    another vote for polar! My f6 has worked for 4+ years
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a chest strap. You don't have to think about it at all during your workout. I have an older Polar F4. It's a good brand.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 around the beginning of April to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually just checked their site and they are still running a sale that they mentioned in an email a few weeks ago (after I had purchased mine) on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • danki11
    danki11 Posts: 9
    Options
    I recommend a Polar one. I have a FT7, my second one. The first one I wore out and plus, I wanted to upgrade. I feel that Polar is the leader in heart rate monitor and I think, most gym machines recognize a Polar "signal". I highly suggest not going cheap, since IMHO, you'll lose the accuracy of the heart rate monitor which throws off your calorie intake. If you're unsure, keep doing your research. Good luck!
  • deedee3732
    deedee3732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will for sure be getting one with a chest strap!! LOL. Thanks all for your help!