water? 8 cups-- really?

13»

Replies

• Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    I use my 24 oz Starbucks cold cup all day. I start with homemade brewed unsweetened iced tea, and when I finish that I refill my cup with ice water at work. I fill up at least twice a day at work. So 24 oz = 3 cups, which means that I get 3 cups of unsweetened iced tea plus 6 cups of water before 6pm most days. In the evening, I'll fill my cup with more ice water and sip that until bedtime.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Holy crap - I just checked out the ozs to pints conversion (I'm British and ounces confuse me!) - apparently one pint is 20 ozs (or an American pint is 16 ozs). I easily drink 6 - 8 pints of water (with or without squash) every day, plus plenty of tea, coffee, milk and diet bitter lemon. On an average day I think I probably get through 200oz without thinking about it. I do pee a lot but I also exercise a lot and am a generally hyper person. I've also always been thirsty (so much so that I've had myself checked for diabetes a few times but I'm all clear). I feel SO rubbish if I only drink 80oz that I don't know how you would cope! I've had a little look around and apparently people are just wildly different in this regard. I'm always thirsty - others rarely drink. I guess as long as you've got healthy coloured pee (sorry for the TMI!) then it's all good!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    I try for at least 10 cups or more a day. I drink water from 16oz bottles that I fill so every bottle is 2 cups.

This is my typical work day watering routine:
    2 cups in the AM
    2 cups with lunch
    2 cups in the afternoon
    4-6 cups with early evening workout
    2 cups with dinner/evening

I drink little to nothing else throughout the day, but water. I have found that all the water helps to fight off hunger cravings and gives me more energy (yes it makes me need to pee a lot more often). Plus I don't enjoy wasting precious food calories on beverages, like soda, juice, coffee anymore.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Why do people continue to think you literally have to drink 8 glasses of pure water a day?!

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-much-water-should-I-drink.aspx

Its advised to get the equivalent of 8 glasses a day. Be that in the form of tea, juice, even water from fruits, all counts towards it.

People take it too literally!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Your body adjusts. It is 3:30 pm where I am and I have already had 64 ounces of water. I pee every couple of hours.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    I drink 80-120 oz of water a day. On top of 4-5 Diet Pepsis.

After a while your body adjusts ...
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Haha... this cracks me up.

After you start drinking more water your body adjusts and you will not longer have to pee every 20 min.

I find that 8 glasses a day is not enough...
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Monster, taking it literally helps me.

I lose more, and more consistently, when I have 80-100 ounces of WATER per day. If I drop below that for more than a day or two, I see an immediate slowing of weight loss.
  • k8edge
    Why do people continue to think you literally have to drink 8 glasses of pure water a day?!

Its advised to get the equivalent of 8 glasses a day. Be that in the form of tea, juice, even water from fruits, all counts towards it.

This is not true. Tea, juice, pop... fruit... Do NOT count in your daily water intake.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • k8edge
    My household we buy Ice Mountain bottled water, the 23.7 oz. which is roughly 3 cups of water. I try to drink 3-5 bottles a day. I don't like the taste of tap water, for some reason it just doesn't taste right. Probably because we didn't have tap water from our fridge for like 6 years, and we just bought bottled. But 3-5 bottles usually makes me feel good. I just take a bottle with me in my purse, and if im bored i just drink it. Yes you do pee alot, like i do constantly, but once you work out and replenish your body with the right amount of water you usually lose the constant peeing sensation. Keep trying, it'd defiantly make you feel good.

Why don't you get a Britta filter? It would be a much friendlier step to help the environment... If you drink 4 bottles a day (average your 3-5) you drink 1460 bottles each year. That is just you. That is a lot of plastic.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member

This is not true. Tea, juice, pop... fruit... Do NOT count in your daily water intake.

So, your professional says it doesnt. My professional says it does.

How are you qualified to say it is not true? Its just another one of those things which gives different answers depending on who you ask. No wonder people who want to lose weight are confused...

Btw, from the link you gave me:

"Its panel on "dietary preference intakes for electrolytes and water" noted that women who appear adequately hydrated consume about 91 ounces (2.7 liters) of water a day and men about 125 ounces (3.7 liters). These seemingly large quantities come from a variety of sources— including coffee, tea, milk, soda, juice, fruits, vegetables and other foods. Instead of recommending how much extra water a person should drink to maintain health, the panel simply concluded that "the vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide."

That just backs up what i said :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member

Actually it does, if you read the article correctly (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day), it says that there is not scientific evidence that people needs to drink eight 8oz glasses fo water a day, or that it helps with weight lost or that if you are thirsty it means that you are dehydrated.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    The plan I am on requires me to drink 26 cups, 208 oz!! .. Once you start measuring cups out, its really not that bad. I get about 14 cups in at work work by drinking 2 cups every hour, on the hour. At home I use 3 cup glasses, so getting the rest in is not too hard. It also gets me out of my chair and walking, because I have to walk down to the break room to fill my container, I fill it and put it in the freezer for half an hour, which gets me up again half an hour later to get my container. On top of the extra walking, ice cold water burns calories.

As long as it doesn't bother you, then drink the 8x8oz.. if its difficult then drink what you can.. I have no difficulty drinking 208oz and don't plan on changing till I reach a weight I want to maintain, then I will drink when I am thirsty.
  • Sa2ah
    Sa2ah Posts: 45 Member
    camel back reusable water bottle! i got mine at target. cuz it has a straw, you end up drinking more with out realizing it...atleast i do. its a 24oz bottle and ill suck it down in about 15 mins when im watching tv/on the comp. i also chug 2 cups (1 of my glasses) right b4 bed, ive been doing it for a while to help with my acne and its working. my body may just be used to high water intake cuz i dont pee a million times a day, prob like 6, and i get 8-10glasses a day (i tend to forget to log them on MFP tho)

OH i also dont drink soda (havent for years) but if i want something flavored i use Mia its an artificially flavored water enhancer you can get at target also. they have a bunch of flavors.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    I do need to pee a lot lol. But I think I go a lot less than when I first started to drink so much water. Also, when I exercise I sweat it out instead. Your body gets used to it I suppose, and I don't really crave fizzy drinks anymore, though do have the odd diet one every now and then. But if the fizzy drinks aren't in the house I don't feel like I'm missing them either, and also don't really miss squash or fruit juice for that matter. (I know juice is good for you, but I try to just eat fruit and veggies rather than drink fruit juice now).

Had 10 glasses today, and still really thirsty.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

did you read that article? In it it states 'many dieticians and other people failed to notice a critical point: namely, that much of the daily need for water could be met by the water content found in food.'

erm. seems to me that indicates fruit and other beverages counts towards the daily intake. In fact, the whole article is suggesting that the 8 cups of water a day is a misinterpretation. Part of the reason people feel they need so many more fluids (fluids, not water specifically) is that they eat so mich crap it doesn't give them the fluid they need.
  • mksw
    mksw Posts: 2
    Yes I agree crystal light is the best! :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I count anything that's not caffeinated. I interpret it as 8 cups liquid (read that in an article somewhere). I even count milk (and I sometimes drink 3 glasses of that).
This discussion has been closed.