Workout advice needed

Options
Hi everyone! So I tried searching the forums and Google and everything, and I can't find quite what I'm looking for. So I'm hoping perhaps a couple folks with a little more experience than me can help me out a little.

So I joined a new gym a couple months ago and was a little intimidated at first because I had only ever gone to Curves prior to this. So I started working with a trainer a couple days a week and I'm feeling a little more comfortable. I usually do cardio 3-4 days a week (elliptical is my fave) and then do more strength-type things twice a week with my trainer (lots of squats, push-ups, planks, etc) So my dilemma is that it is no longer financially possible for me to continue on with my trainer, so I now have to figure out how to do this on my own. I have quite a lot of weight to lose, but from all the reading and research I've been doing it seems like all cardio is not the way to go so I'm kind of thinking I should start working with weights. I think I would feel most comfortable at this point working on the machines rather than with free weights, but I'm just unsure about a lot of things. For instance, the way I understand it, I should probably be doing this about 3 times a week, but as far as what I should be doing when, I'm lost. I know I need to alternate the muscles I'm working, but are there particular groups that should or should not be worked together? And at the end of the week, should I have planned it so each group has been worked only once that week?

Also, I'm planning for my week to go as follows:

Sunday-light cardio & weights
Monday-45 minutes cardio
Tuesday-light cardio & weights
Wednesday-45 minutes cardio
Thursday-light cardio & weights
Friday-REST!!
Saturday-45 minutes cardio

Does that seem like an ok schedule? And if I follow that, does anyone have some good suggestions for which machines or which muscles to work on the days I'm using weights?

Sorry to sound like such a noob and to be so long winded, but I appreciate any guidance any of you might be able to give me. I only ask so much cuz I know my mfp buddies will step up with some awesome advice! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You should look into home dvds such as p90x, insanity, or supreme 90 day. no need for a gym membershi when you can do it at home.
  • laj3918
    laj3918 Posts: 28
    Options
    Looks like a good plan. If you're doing weights every other day - then a total body workout will do. if you're fitting weights in EVERY day then alternate days with upper and lower body exercises.

On machines you can get in a 30-minute total body workout...easily. Leg press, leg extension, leg curl, hip abduction, hip adduction, chest press, row, overhead/military press, bicep curls, tricep extension.

done
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Well all I do is I will do upper body one day then lower body.....I do crunches everyday I work out....and side crunches also...My total workout time is 1 hour.....35 mins of that is elliptical or treadmill....those are my faves....I know as long as you keep your heart rate at 65-85% for at least 20 mins that is what is recommended. Im not sure if this is going to help, just have fun with it and keep doing it. I also do the weight machines and not free weights....yet ;)
  • sawalter68
    sawalter68 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do strength on M-W-F. On Monday I target upper body, Wednesday is leg day, and Friday is core. On T-Th-S i try to do cardio. This seems to work. It is very important that women do strength training for bone health. You can always pick up some magazines that give you some circuits to do.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    You should look into home dvds such as p90x, insanity, or supreme 90 day. no need for a gym membershi when you can do it at home.

Those work great, but I find myself more accountable if I leave the house. Ill skip it if I only workout at home. I have tried that but everyone is different.
  • criscole
    criscole Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Becky;

i had a trainer and have done weights for 20 yrs (I had to have neck surgery 5 yrs ago) now working on 10-15 lbs because of it. If you are just starting you can work all the muscles (a full body workout) 3 x a week. but if you have more time to do weights and can alternate that would be even better. Such as work your upper body together and than hit the lower on the opposite days trying to hit all area's at least twice a week. when you do your chest workout you are working your triceps (flabby back part of the arm) when you are working your back you are working the bicep I would work abs in with each day (abs can be worked everyday) then the next day hit your legs and gluts. I can't remember if you are doing cardio everyday or not so if you aren't do cardio on the upper body days since you will be working your legs during that. Have fun most of all watch and ask questions of others in the gym that you like the looks of what they are doing, I was once shy at the gym but the people you see as regulars all have a story and are usually the ones that when asked will be glad to help a new comer.. Good Luck you can do it..
    cris
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    It's recommended that if you do both cardio and weights on the same day that you do weights first then cardio.. I've heard the reasons why and understand them but for me to explain them...wouldn't work. Lots of medical terminology. Good Luck! add me if you would like.
  • lmercil
    lmercil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Schedule looks good. Have you or your trainer been writing down your workouts? I have mine write them down everytime and I now have 5 books full of workouts, plus we record weight and reps. Makes for an easy way to find a workout. I also draw pictures next to anything I think I might forget.

Another option is to cut back on the # of days you see your trainer. If you go 2x a week cut back to 1 or even 1-2x a month. That way you still have the accountabilty and you are still adding to your "library" of workouts.

Last thought - see if your gym has a weight class for instance Gold's offers BodyPump. Which is a strength training, but it is lighter weight and lots of reps. It is kind of nice to mix in as it is usually different and keeps things different so you don't get bored.

Don't ever be intimidated at the gym - everyone had to start at some point and we have all been there (especially in classes - just let the instructor know you are new and they will help you). There are plenty of people who are always happy to help you with machines etc. too, just ask. Besides more often than not it is the total meat heads that look foolish, really does it take 45 minutes to do 3 sets of squats?!!
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I should have just come here from the get-go! Getting some great tips, so thank you everyone! And yes, I have been keeping track of the workouts I've done with my trainer, but I just can't see myself going into the gym and doing some of that stuff all alone and in public! And it's a pretty small gym, so they do have some classes, but it's mainly Zumba or boot-camp. No, this is pretty much the only way, other than paying a membership strictly to go walk on treadmill or use the elliptical! Guess it's time to just strap on a pair and make my way to the back of the gym!
  • lmercil
    lmercil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can do it! If you are worried about some of the exercises on your own, drop the weight a little. I know I can't do some of the weight that I do with the trainer. Besides you know what the workout should feel like and whether or not you are "cheating". Sometimes that is all the motivation you need. Good luck!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the squats and lunges but try added some weight on your shoulders with a bar for bench press (they usually have varying weights of these lying around), then mix it up by adding some curls, shoulder presses, or dead lifts to get a full body workout.

Another great tool are kettle bells. You can work out your whole body with weights but get your cardio in as well. You could probably ask someone at the gym some exercises or I'm sure they have some simple moves on the internet somewhere. If your gym isn't equipped with them, you can substitue lighter dumbells.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Keep doing the squats and lunges but try added some weight on your shoulders with a bar for bench press (they usually have varying weights of these lying around), then mix it up by adding some curls, shoulder presses, or dead lifts to get a full body workout.

Another great tool are kettle bells. You can work out your whole body with weights but get your cardio in as well. You could probably ask someone at the gym some exercises or I'm sure they have some simple moves on the internet somewhere. If your gym isn't equipped with them, you can substitue lighter dumbells.
    Agree. I've just resumed weight training recently with a very pared-down routine, 3 days weekly, alternating: one day, barbell squats, assisted pullups, modified pushups, dumbbell step-ups, and 2 core exercises (planks and leg pull-ins); next time, deadlifts, military press, dumbbell row, lunges, and 2 core exercises (mason twist and toe touchers). I get a lot of bang for the buck. The other days, I may cycle or run, although frankly it's hard to ride 30+ miles the day after a workout.
    Lots of good info on stumptuous.com.