Always hurting.

Options
This is kind of a post out of a little desperation.
Long story short, I've always been on the weightloss roller coaster.
In 2012 I was at my lowest weight, eating perfect, doing P90X several days a week and running.
2.5 years ago I quit my second job, moved in with my parents and went back to school full time.
Since then I've gained 20lbs.
Stress eating, easier access to temptations, less time and energy to workout.

Here's the problem:
I've tried and tried to get back into working out, but every time I'm so incredibly sore the next day. I'm miserable and not able to do another workout for a few days. I've tried doing different workouts, doing less of a workout, stretching, taking care of myself. Now I'm torn between having to do SO little to not ache the next day and actually putting in enough effort to get a decent workout! What gives? How does someone who got very out of shape get back into shape? A little pain, sure, that's expected. Barely able to climb stairs the next day, heck no!

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'd say a gentle workout that you can do again is preferable to a hard workout and being too sore.
    Try doing just 10 minutes the first time. Repeat that for a week and then add another 5 or 10 depending on how you are feeling.

And speak to your parents about healthy foods-maybe offer to cook supper for all one night.
  • Damien_K
    Damien_K Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Have you tried supplementing with L-Glutamine to offset the DOMS?
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Making sure you take the time to stretch properly afterwards and take an ibuprofen. As hard as it is not over doing it. I tend to be all or nothing when it comes to exercise, its 6 days a week or not at all. Currently trying to get over that mentality as it has caused injury which puts me back into the not at all basket pretty quickly.

I do feel you, I have plantar facitias in one foot. A long walk or a short run, sometimes even just being on my feet for longer than normal makes its painful to move the next day. Losing weight would help but being able to move without pain makes exercise easier so its a little chicken and egg. I have to force myself to make sure I take the time do stretches, ice it after exercise, wear shoes etc which all contribute to me being on teh road to recovery.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Making sure you take the time to stretch properly afterwards and take an ibuprofen. As hard as it is not over doing it. I tend to be all or nothing when it comes to exercise, its 6 days a week or not at all. Currently trying to get over that mentality as it has caused injury which puts me back into the not at all basket pretty quickly.

I do feel you, I have plantar facitias in one foot. A long walk or a short run, sometimes even just being on my feet for longer than normal makes its painful to move the next day. Losing weight would help but being able to move without pain makes exercise easier so its a little chicken and egg. I have to force myself to make sure I take the time do stretches, ice it after exercise, wear shoes etc which all contribute to me being on teh road to recovery.

Ibuprofen is not appropriate for all people. There are conditions and meds with which it is contraindicated. OTC =/= harmless

AnvilHead wrote: »
    shaunap3 wrote: »
    Here's the problem:
    I've tried and tried to get back into working out, but every time I'm so incredibly sore the next day. I'm miserable and not able to do another workout for a few days. I've tried doing different workouts, doing less of a workout, stretching, taking care of myself. Now I'm torn between having to do SO little to not ache the next day and actually putting in enough effort to get a decent workout! What gives? How does someone who got very out of shape get back into shape? A little pain, sure, that's expected. Barely able to climb stairs the next day, heck no!

Sounds like you're starting off with too much, too soon. You have to ease your way into a workout program, you can't just jump in full tilt. Start off with what feels like "too little" and gradually increase it. Too many people make the mistake of thinking that if you don't "feel the burn" or aren't sore afterward, your workout didn't accomplish anything. It's perfectly normal to have a little DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) after a workout, but crippling pain like you're describing says you're biting off more than you can chew. If you stick with it and gradually work your way up, the DOMS goes away once your body has adapted to the new stress you're imposing upon it.

^^^This. Take it easy. Personally I like DOMS, but not at the level you are describing, OP. If you are miserable, you are less likely to do it.
  • periphrastic
    periphrastic Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm relatively new to working out, and I've been SORE as well. So far I've found that, for me, exercising 20-40 minutes the day after an intense workout helps reduce the pain from the previous day's workout. Also, taking rest days, staying hydrated and taking ibuprofen when needed. I also think it's important to let yourself take breaks during workouts if you need them. There's pushing yourself, and then there's pushing yourself too far. That's just what's working for me so far. :smile:

I think checking in with your doctor or getting a personal trainer is a fantastic option if you're worried about pain or potential injuries, though!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ^^^This. Take it easy. Personally I like DOMS, but not at the level you are describing, OP. If you are miserable, you are less likely to do it.

I don't mind a bit of DOMS either, but I've jumped headlong back into weight lifting too enthusiastically a few times in my life and I know the feeling of not being able to sit down or reach up to wash my hair in the shower without feeling like dull, rusty, red hot knives were being shoved into my muscles! :) I'm older and wiser now - when I started lifting again last year, I eased into it like a *kitten*. Started off so light I could hardly even feel the weights and I felt ridiculous in the gym, but I knew from experience that it was better than being crippled and in agony for the next week!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What k8nd of exercise are you doing?

My standard advice for totally and completely out of shape people:
    - Week 1: three 15-20 minute walks
    - Week 2: add 5 minutes to each walk or add one more 15-20 minute walk
    - Week 3 and onward: add 5 minutes to each walk
    - Month 2 or 3: add a simple bodyweight workout on in between days. Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight is good. Fitnessblender lower body stretching for flexibility is also suggested.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You're suppose to ache and be sort, especially if you're not regular with exercise. It means your body is using muscles that have been dormant for a while. I'm not exactly sure what you're doing but going balls to the wall to start off will kinda do that to you. Ease into it and the soreness will subside. I promise you that. I train regularly however if I'm out of the gym for a week, when I return I'm sorer than usual. It's normal.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Is it DOMS or is it legit pain? There is a big difference.

If it is legit pain - you need to go see a medical professional.

If it is just DOMS, then we need more info. What workouts are causing this? How often are you trying to work out? What are your stats (height and current weight? How many calories are you eating and what do your macros look like?
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Go to your docs and ask for a full mot, just to make sure there are no underlying issues.
    jemhh wrote: »
    What k8nd of exercise are you doing?

My standard advice for totally and completely out of shape people:
    - Week 1: three 15-20 minute walks
    - Week 2: add 5 minutes to each walk or add one more 15-20 minute walk
    - Week 3 and onward: add 5 minutes to each walk
    - Month 2 or 3: add a simple bodyweight workout on in between days. Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight is good. Fitnessblender lower body stretching for flexibility is also suggested.

This is good advice^^^^^ - or you could also try swimming or yoga/pilates.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Eh, I like some DOMS. Hard to sit on the toilet just means I squatted my *kitten* off.

I do arms the day after a leg workout.

And sore legs feel much better after a brisk walk. A couple weeks and you will stop getting so sore.

This is just DOMS, though. Real pain is different.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    shaunap3 wrote: »
    A little pain, sure, that's expected. Barely able to climb stairs the next day, heck no!

if all other approaches fail, see your doctor. i had active rheumatoid arthritis for probably a year before something visible and definitive happened [my finger joints went nuts and swelled up like beestings] and i got diagnosed. but that year was a whole year of surreal.

absent the 'rheumatoid factor' in a blood test, r.a. is diagnosed by taking a symptom tally. they sit you down and go through a check list. every one of the things i had been experiencing for a whole year and completely bewildered about was on that list.

so if everything hurts and it makes no sense, make reasonable adjustments to whatever you're doing. but if those fail as well, then know when it's time to cut line. go see a doctor.
  • dlucio1
    dlucio1 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Do u have fibromyalgia? I have chronic leg pain from the soles of my feet all the way up my lower back. My doctor says I have leg tendonitis, but the next day after exercising, even simple walkn my 10,000 steps I hurt so much. I always warm up stretch listen to my body and cool down.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Look into foam rolling as well. I love my foam roller!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I get back into working out, I can barely climb the stairs. I just keep doing it until it doesn't hurt anymore. I also eat high protein and supplement with magnesium which helps with DOMs.