What would you do?

Options
Gyms are pretty expensive! My work does not compensate for any kind of gym membership and I dont want to dish out 60 bucks a month for my husband and I to have a membership (and be tied down to pay another year of membership a $720 punch in the face considering I was mostly just using their tredmills and stationary bikes).... right now with the weather being nice (not winter) we go to the park often and walk/jog 3 miles, and I also have The Biggest Loser dvd Cardio max weightloss. I'm switching between the two and it's been nice so far, but honestly I want something else too.... something different to do, to switch it up... work different muscles and keep my interest. I'm considering purchasing some kind of equipment for our house... what would you all do? HELP!

ps- I also dont want a HUGE piece of equipment as we are tight tight tight on space! (yay apartments!) Something that could fit in a closet, or under a bed or in a corner would be best!

Replies

• sadams977
    sadams977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh oh and another question, what do you all do to keep active when winter comes? I'm already concerned about that!
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    More challenging would be Chalene Extreme. You can use resistance bands or you can get some free weights.. It is AWESOME!
    Check it out on Beachbody..
    Good luck!
  • orlandosgoddess21
    orlandosgoddess21 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much, but have you ever though about Wii? You can get a whole bunch of fitness games like EA Active, Wii Fit, Just Dance, Zumba, and a lot more. It's not a lot of space and it's fun and you can do it year round. Hope it helps.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have a nordic track elliptical and it folds up nicely
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I agree with the above poster - just got zumba for my wii and it is a killer workout! I also have walk away the pounds dvds which i love! I have a few carmen electra dvds which are horrible and 2 biggest loser dvds which are too hard for me at this point. I am looking forward to getting more games for the wii now that I know what an awesome workout it is :)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill and Jillian's 30 day shred with hand weights.

If you have an Xbox, the Kinnect dance games are a great burn.

If you are considering a machine at home, elliptical or treadmill is the way to go, along with your dvd's you are set!

I don't shell for a gym either, but I do karate 3 days a week. (except for this month, off because of bad schedules)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It's hard because strength training is pretty important to fitness and losing healthy weight. Depending on your space you can look into various BowFlex machines maybe. Videos, P90x is suppose to be pretty good for incorporating strength training.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    There are alot of things that you can do with NO equipment!! Make a workout for yourself including -- pushups, planks, lunges, squats, leg lifts, calf raises, tricep dips... and many more.

You can also get inexpensive equipment and have more variety -- resistance bands, hand weights, kettlebells.

You don't need to go to the gym to get a good workout. There are also tons of workout videos that you can buy that don't cost alot.

As for the winter - walking, running, snowshoeing, cross country skiing
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a gazelle. It folds up nicely, and it was only $100 from Walmart's website. When it's folded, I am able to slide it into a space about 4-5 inches wide.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Our town has a local rec center gym (under our city's parks & rec dept.), and it's only $25/month. See if yours does, too. It's not fancy, but I can walk there from my house (my warm up) and walk home (my cool down), and I have no excuse not to go 'cause they open @ 5:30 a.m. and close @ 9 or 10 p.m., and all their exercise classes are free to members.

I have a wii, but honestly our living room is small and we're on the 2nd floor, so it's hard to do it without shaking the house and running into furniture! :}
  • KristyO25
    KristyO25 Posts: 28
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism...it's great cardio and you don't need a lot of space to do it. You don't even need weights! I also love her 30 day shred to tone up. Both of these are great workouts and require little space and only cost about $10 each!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    we are mid winter here atm in Australia. I am currently doing c25k. I just get out between showers on the rainy days.
    I also do situps, planks, crunches and other non equipment strength training. I may look at purchasing some free weight s soon to add that in. I also do some pressups with my 3year olds some days I guess they are around 14kg lol
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Are there any pay by the session type classes you might be interested in doing? Dancing? Martial arts? An indoor sport like vollyball or basketball maybe?
    There are so many varied ways to get a bit of exercise in and it doesnt all have to revolve around dvd's or gyms :)
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking at gyms like planet fitness ($10 a month) and some gyms you pay $1 when you go ($30 a month or less if you don't go every day). You can also buy zumba dvds or if you have an xbox or wii there are plenty of games for those
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not be without a gym membership. I pay for the whole year in advance and get two months free that way. It's fairly expensive (about $500 for a year for my husband and myself even with the senior discount), but I go at least three times a week year round so I feel it's worth it. I also have a separate swimming pool membership ($15 a month) because my gym does not have a pool. At home I just have a yoga mat and medicine ball. I do crunches and other exercises on my mat while I watch TV.
    I realize you don't have to work out at a gym to lose weight, but like MFP, the gym provides a healthy support network. When I go I always hear people talking about their hiking trips, bike rides and other healthy activities so it helps me stay on track and become more active myself.
  • cculb524
    cculb524 Posts: 10
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba and you certainly have the dancing ability for it, lol...I do it at the gym, but they make videos too...he biggest loser has many other DVDs too and so does dancing with the stars...I'm all about the videos! Try checking different ones out at your
    Library...many treadmills can fold up! Good luck and let me know if you need anything, love ya!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You can do plenty of bodyweight exercises and plyometrics and those are fine exercises, however; they do not have the same benefit as lifting weights, it's just different resistance. 24 hour fitness gyms are everywhere, there's gotta' be one near you or something cheap. I belong to a Gold's Gym (big name) and I only pay $29/ month.