Fitbit and Running re calories burnt??

Options
So I got a fitbit and synced it with my fitness and it's logging my steps and adjusting calories accordingly if I then log a run done during daily steps is that not double logging? I know my run is my daily steps but calories burn in ru is higher than normal so a bit confused can anyone shed some light please

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't add the run as a specific exercise as the fitbit is recording it via step-counting. It will give you an appropriate calorie burn due to the speed of the run.

I use a run watch, which will record the run, and fitbit blocks out the time spent running/steps and recalculates based on this to prevent double accounting.

Basically, if you are doing any exercise where it imitates steps, let the fitbit do it and don't log in MFP. If you are swimming say, or cycling, then log it but be sure to include the time. If you are keen to see that you did an exercise, you can manually change the calories to '1' for example.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that if you log it on the FitBit app then the engine will reconcile the double count.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You will notice that you now have to enter the exact time you started your run in addition to duration. This is because MFP will adjust for Fitbit steps during that exact time.

So for example, let's say you started running at 6:43 a.m. and ran for 28 min. You will enter this on MFP and let's just say that MFP comes up with +250 calories burned.

During that same 28 min., let's say Fitbit adjusts +280 calories.

Now, let's say for the rest of the day, Fitbit would adjust +120 calories.

IF you don't log your run on MFP manually, you will get +400 calories from Fitbit.

IF you do log your run on MFP manually, you will get +370 calories (+250 for the logged run +120 outside of that from Fitbit). That's my understanding, though there maybe someone that has a different answer.

So the short answer is: No, you did not double-log.
    However, it is best not to log step-based activities manually because Fitbit is expected to be more accurate than manual logging.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you should only log non step-based activities like swimming or lifting.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I allow my Garmin to load my actual workout but then I delete the supinate steps entry. That way I don't double count and since calorie burn is notoriously over-optimisic this helps account for the delta.
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I log everything using my Fitbit. If there is a specific exercise, I make sure I start/stop the exercise at the appropriate times. I do not enter anything in MFP. This way I know steps/activity will not be double counted.
  • GettingDizzy
    GettingDizzy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys question answered