Options
lisammoran55
lisammoran55 Posts: 1 Member
I'm coeliac and also a pre diabete so my diet choices are limited

Replies

• lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to wheat (so no gluten), cane sugar, whey protein, eggs, almonds, and cranberries. I rarely feel like my choices are limited, because I cook for myself and I've learned how to sub for what I can't have. Sometimes I have failed experiments (I had one yesterday), but it's fun to figure out how to have that thing you want. Do you cook for yourself? That's the key.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Me too. I follow a low carb diet, and that eliminates all grains right off the bat. I eat veggies, meat, eggs, seafood, dairy (had to give it up while recovering), nuts, seeds, coconuts and a bit of fruit. I now only have to watch out for cross contamination.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Me too. I follow a low carb diet, and that eliminates all grains right off the bat. I eat veggies, meat, eggs, seafood, dairy (had to give it up while recovering), nuts, seeds, coconuts and a bit of fruit. I now only have to watch out for cross contamination.

Yep that's pretty much it. Are you Keto or just a low carber?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb autoimmune paleo. Up the protein and veggies; those are easy substitutions. Make lettuce wraps If you want a sandwhich. Throw some cauliflower in the food processor to make "rice". I think the others gave good advice :)
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For several months recently, we switched my kid to a gluten/egg/dairy/soy free diet. I ended up finding a gluten free bread recipe. It had egg so I used a 'flaxseed' egg. Didn't turn out quite as fluffy as the original recipe but it was still good.

Like others, we ended up serving her more veggies. Roasted sweet potato or regular potatoes were a good base or starch that we liked. There are some gluten-free pastas that we liked too. We made a lot more of our food at home. Home-made tomato sauce is relatively easy to make. I found a gluten-free pizza dough recipe and we'd put the Daiya "mozzarella" cheese shreds.

It really just depends on what you want to eat and searching for gluten-free versions.