arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    ryry_ wrote: »
    I work 6:30am-5pm, then train and get home around 8pm. I just...drink coffee, eat a crap ton of vegetables, lean protein, pre-log when I can. Honestly there are a lot of pretzels at work and I will eat like 500 calories worth per day, but I've been at this for so long I know what to make when I get home to stay in a deficit. Including dessert. Getting through the day involves a lot of diet soda though.

Diet soda = Water for me lol

Right? I'm all about the diet soda. I didn't start drinking it until last year.

Isn't this like building a house just to smash it down *if you drink it crazy often that is. That stuff is garbage. Each to their own and all that jazz.

Nope. It's fine.. I used to be afraid of it too but there's really nothing wrong with it. And I'm healthier now drinking a bit of diet soda than I was when I was obese :)

I'm not afraid of drinking it lol, nor do I feel any ill effects when I do drink it, I just regulate my consumption of it because I don't rate what it's made from. But if you feel better in mind and body then hey, who am I to say anything otherwise.

That's right, who are you to? :)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I work 6:30am-5pm, then train and get home around 8pm. I just...drink coffee, eat a crap ton of vegetables, lean protein, pre-log when I can. Honestly there are a lot of pretzels at work and I will eat like 500 calories worth per day, but I've been at this for so long I know what to make when I get home to stay in a deficit. Including dessert. Getting through the day involves a lot of diet soda though.

Isn't this like building a house just to smash it down *if you drink it crazy often that is. That stuff is garbage. Each to their own and all that jazz.

Nope. It's fine.. I used to be afraid of it too but there's really nothing wrong with it. And I'm healthier now drinking a bit of diet soda than I was when I was obese :)

I'm not afraid of drinking it lol, nor do I feel any ill effects when I do drink it, I just regulate my consumption of it because I don't rate what it's made from. But if you feel better in mind and body then hey, who am I to say anything otherwise.

Hey now, be nice Miss soda :wink:
  • arditarose
    Options

Hey now, be nice Miss soda :wink:

I was
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Down with diet soda. Tend to drink more in summer than winter. No observable detriments, comparing the seasons consuming more or less. Tastes good and a little energy boost. Not as good a boost as coffee, but doesn't interfere with sleep either.

ETA: arditarose, you look great. I really enjoy your comments and honestly cannot imagine you as obese. Awesome job, lady!
  • arditarose
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Down with diet soda. Tend to drink more in summer than winter. No observable detriments, comparing the seasons consuming more or less. Tastes good and a little energy boost. Not as good a boost as coffee, but doesn't interfere with sleep either.

ETA: arditarose, you look so great. I really enjoy your comments and honestly cannot imagine you as obese. Awesome job, lady!

Technically obese at one point. 180 at 5'4". And thank you. I know I sound cranky tonight. Cuz I am bahaha
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I meal prep on the weekends and make lists of possible breakfasts. Take breakfast, lunch and snacks to work. Heat up dinner at about six. I try to leave 100 calories on the plan to make up for any food errors.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I always hear that expression 9-5 but how come I and everyone I know works 8-5? I wish I was 9-5. I take snacks to work like hummus and carrots, seaweed snacks, bananas. I either pack my lunch or come home. I don't make heavy dinners because I'm too tired.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I always hear that expression 9-5 but how come I and everyone I know works 8-5? I wish I was 9-5. I take snacks to work like hummus and carrots, seaweed snacks, bananas. I either pack my lunch or come home. I don't make heavy dinners because I'm too tired.

I wish I was 8-5. 6:30 to 5:00 here :( Technically 7:20-4:30 but that doesn't happen ever.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I avoid the lunchroom unless I am actually having lunch (stupid payday cakes look so delicious) and have a drawer full of low cal packed snacks that are nibble sized so I feel like I'm eating more. I am trying to cut down my soda intake so I have 600mL of a BCAA drink every morning that I just sip on until lunch alongside my water. If I'm feeling blergh in the afternoon, I have a drink like berocca or rehydration thingy (check for added sugar and salt content if you are watching your salt intake for health reasons).
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone snacks at work. When I'm constantly eating I feel to eat more. The most I'll eat before a meal is an Apple or two. I fast so it's pretty much a decent sized meal to offically break that fast while I'm at work. 2,300 cals is a beautiful number :smile:
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Went through a similar transition a few months back success has been so so. Some things I have done: take lunches (usually a salad and meat), drink tea after my first coffee, don't snack...I find that snacking is more about being bored...if I am constantly busy, it isn't an issue.

At home I get up early (for me) and go on the exercise bike for 20-30 minutes before my shower. I found a gym at near work. 3 days a week I go at lunch. 1 hour total time for travel and doing a 5x5 program.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Because now they are required by law to give you a 30-60minute break for lunch for every 6 hours worked.

OP - I find the key to staying healthy at the office is to pre-plan your meals and bring your food. It's too easy to splurge on salty/sugary snacks when you're stressed and hungry. I bring fruit, vegan protein bars, preservative-free salmon jerky, and try to pack my lunches. I often make smoothies for breakfast, eggs, or oatmeal. I also constantly remind myself of my goals when I think about reaching for the candy bowl or the leftover donuts, and ask myself "is it really worth it?" - usually the answer is no.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I wish I was 8-5. 6:30 to 5:00 here :( Technically 7:20-4:30 but that doesn't happen ever.

Ouch! I'm usually here 6:30 - 4:00 and I work through my lunches. We work 9 hour days in exchange for every other Friday off.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If stairs are an option, take the stairs. Avoid the vending machines. Bring your own food and snacks and stick to that (this can be tough; my office has nearly constant parties and breakfasts and lunches and treats and people get really resentful when that one person doesn't attend, but oh well!). Bring walking shoes if walking on breaks would be an option at your office. I have also recently discovered working out before work is the best option for me. My gym is 24-hr and I get a really nice mental boost from working out before than leaving it for end of day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I concur with the advice above to make sure to keep moving during the day. I have an office job and also work from about 8:30-5:30, including the commute time and kid drop off/pick up I'm gone from the house about 10+ hours each day. I still average 15K steps/day and a good portion of those come from parking in the back part of the parking lot at my office, getting up often to walk to the bathroom, walking to see coworkers rather than emailing/calling, and then taking a short walk in the morning or afternoon and a longer one at lunch time.

Foodwise - I was never big on office potlucks but we don't do them often anymore. There are occasionally treats in the breakroom but unless I know who made them, I generally don't eat them. I bring my lunch most days (leftover from the previous night's dinner or a frozen meal supplemented with extra protein or frozen vegetables). On rare days when I forget or don't have anything to bring from home I go to the cafeteria and either get a salad or have them make me a turkey sandwich and I get a bowl of soup or bag of pretzels. I also keep an emergency can of soup and a jar of peanut butter in my desk drawer along with a few Kind bars. I bring a Chobani Flip for my afternoon snack, and about once a week I go out with a friend to a fast casual place like Qdoba or Panera.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Because you don't get paid for your lunch break (neither do I).
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I prelog and take lunches to work, including all my snacks. I sometimes will put 1 or 2 extra snacks incase it's just one of those days where I need it. I remove them from my log if I don't eat them. I try to make breakfast/lunch my heavier meals because by time I come home I just want something light. Some days I will even leave my bank card at home just to ensure I won't pick up anything extra.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is fighting the urge to snack when I'm concentrating. I'm fine when I'm moving, but as soon as I sit down to write a report, I'm reaching for anything to nibble on. I'm with @arditarose that diet sodas are a lifesaver. Cue the Diet Dr. Pepper, baby.
  • arditarose
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Ouch! I'm usually here 6:30 - 4:00 and I work through my lunches. We work 9 hour days in exchange for every other Friday off.

I can choose whether or not to work through my lunch. Sometimes I sit and stare at the wall, sometimes I go observe other teachers, sometimes it's my prep.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hm. I have a good breakfast at home and take 2 lunches to work. No snacks. two meals in tupperware. And I eat them at my desk so that I can take my lunch hour off.

I am lucky enough to have a gym where I work so I do my workout at lunchtime, but when I don't go to the gym I walk at lunch.

If I am starving I'll eat a snack like fruit or whatever but generally don't starve due to the two lunches!