Replies

• maloryanne
    maloryanne Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 25 minutes.

I personally love running but I wasn't always this way. All I can tell you is that when you hit a comfortable pace something inside you just clicks and you hit this kind of of zen like trance - a bit like if you do meditation I guess. Your body just moves of its own account and all your mind focuses on is sensing that movement: its not a question of 'can I keep going' at all - more like when you have a piece of chocolate in your mouth and you let it melt on your tongue, savouring the flavour rather than just a mechanical in, chew, swallow. You savour the feeling of running.

Quite often I have music on and that carries me - I can still hear the song but its on a purely emotional level. I am a musician and normally I listen to each part and break it down and work out how to play it - but not when I run: when I run I just let it lift me.

This is probably the biggest bunch of hippy bollocks I've written on a forum and that's because its really hard to describe why I enjoy running... Just take my word for it - if you are running 25 minutes now then you are close to the point when this kind of auto-pilot mode kicks in and you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is exactly how I feel about running. There is a definite zen in it where you body and mind are in perfect rhythm and it doesn't feel hard, but instead like the most natural thing in the world to do. As some others have mentioned, perhaps the biggest key is to run slow enough to where it's not torturous. You shouldn't be gasping for breath. After all, you are building toward distance running. Speed comes down the road a little later.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 25 minutes.

I personally love running but I wasn't always this way. All I can tell you is that when you hit a comfortable pace something inside you just clicks and you hit this kind of of zen like trance - a bit like if you do meditation I guess. Your body just moves of its own account and all your mind focuses on is sensing that movement: its not a question of 'can I keep going' at all - more like when you have a piece of chocolate in your mouth and you let it melt on your tongue, savouring the flavour rather than just a mechanical in, chew, swallow. You savour the feeling of running.

Quite often I have music on and that carries me - I can still hear the song but its on a purely emotional level. I am a musician and normally I listen to each part and break it down and work out how to play it - but not when I run: when I run I just let it lift me.

This is probably the biggest bunch of hippy bollocks I've written on a forum and that's because its really hard to describe why I enjoy running... Just take my word for it - if you are running 25 minutes now then you are close to the point when this kind of auto-pilot mode kicks in and you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I love this. It is a feeling that is so hard to describe but I think you' ve captured it pretty well. This is the reason that I love running too. I am always chasing this feeling!
  • chrisuy
    chrisuy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know what has people love running while others can't stand it. I can only speak for myself and say that I tolerate it.

- I love that it gives me the best bang for the buck; there is nothing else that I do that burns more calories for the time spent doing it.
    - I love the fact that I'm healthy enough and fit enough to be able to run if I choose to do so.

But honestly, I look forward more to being done with my run than the actual run itself. These days, I run every other day anywhere between 6-8 miles at a time. Back in the day, I used to do longer runs once a week of 150 minutes (~17 miles for me). But even then, I could only really tolerate it at best. YMMV!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, some people aren't runners. They don't like it. THAT"S OKAY! Find something that you really enjoy and do that instead. See if biking is your thing, or swimming or play a sport. If you like running, but it's hard, it will get easier as you continue. If you just don't like it, try something else. You need to find something that you WANT to do. I want to run, even though it's hard sometimes. That's what keeps me coming back and keeps me active....
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging responses! I have to admit that I didn't go out this morning for my run and I do have excuses (aching muscles from my weights workout yesterday being one) but I did get up to go so I'm taking that as a 'step' in the right direction!

Just to clarify, I have no intention of giving up and I certainly will be finishing the C25K. I set that goal and I am so close to achieving it, I'm not stopping now. I have also set myself the goal of competing in the Canberra Times Fun Run 5K event in September. I am lucky to have a number of other mums from school who run and support me and we will be at the CT event together.

Thanks for the tips on breathing. I think this is worth further investigation. As for going slower, if I go any slower, I'll stop altogether! Ha ha! I was a bit self-conscious to start with but I don't give a damn now - I'm running (well, jogging if you must)! I've taken the attitude that it doesn't matter how slowly I go, I just need to complete the time. Speed will come later as some of you have said. I wonder where it is possible to get tips on your form?

I have had some moments of that 'zen' feeling and when you can get into a rhythm it is lovely. And the feeling I have when I stop is fabulous. I like to like down for a few minutes after I stretch, if I can, and enjoy the endorphin rush!

I want to continue running. I can't get my heartrate high enough walking. I enjoy using the cardio machines at the gym but I also like to get outdoors to exercise too (when it is not so bl**dy cold!) As a family, we like to hike (well, the little ones are are starting to!) so I see running as a way of building fitness for that too. It is just so damned convenient too!

But thanks everyone for your encouragement. It is interesting to hear that everyone has different interpretations of *love* and that, despite best efforts, some people never got to love running. I never expected it to be easy but you just hear so many people waxing lyrical about it!

However, I will persevere and see what happens for me over time, particularly as I lose weight - I'm carrying around a 25kg backpack when I run at the moment!

Thank you all you wonderful MFP people!
  • rat70
    Options
    I have found the DoctorMama blog really encouraging and fun for new runners. www.doctormama.blogspot.com I think. She also stresses running slowly at first so you can build up your strength, and to run for time, not distance. The shutupandrun.com blog is also hilarious and very motivating. The more I run the more I love it! But just like anything you have to build up to it and not just fling yourself as fast as you can right away - that leads to pain and injury which is the opposite of fun. This sounds dorky I know, but really make friends with your body, give it the right conditions to succeed and it won't disappoint you!!

OMG - DoctorMama is so great - Thank you for putting me on to this! Also like Shutupandrun.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I like running because it helps me clear my mind, and it gives me a chance to listen to my music away from my kiddos. LOL I also feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I am done, particularly running a length I've never run before. When I finished my first half in June, despite the time not being great because of the awful heat, I feel SOOO good about myself. It's like a high that I want to keep accomplishing. :smile:

BUT I have my moments where I think "why am I still doing this?" It just depends on my mood.
  • Jinji
    Jinji Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My solution has been to focus on my breathing or the environment. If I focus on my body then I feel every ache and strain, and am full of hate for the exercise. But if I focus on breathing or focus on how lovely the day is, I enjoy the time.

The easy path is never the right one, right?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I wonder where it is possible to get tips on your form?
    There are a million and one books, websites and videos on good running form, and it's easy to get bogged down in Chi Running, Barefoot Running, heel strike, mid-foot strike, toe strike etc. etc. Google "running form" and see how many hits you get! The YouTube videos are worth a watch.

My top tips for form are:
    1. Run like you're finding it easy. Relax your upper body, keep your head up, let your legs swing easily forward and only use energy to drive yourself forward.
    2. Land quietly - not only are you saving yourself from injury, but you're helping establish your most natural footfall.
    3. Once a week go out without your watch and just run, thinking about what every bit of your body's doing and how it feels.
    4. Imagine you're holing a butterfly or a Pringle in your hands - don't waste energy clenching, your arms balance and drive you while your legs do the majority of the hard work.
  • rat70
    Options
    Hey everyone!

An update... I ran 28 minutes this morning and really enjoyed it. It turns out I CAN run slower and not actually come to a halt! LOL! I could have kept going! And I didn't just stay on the flat. I'm running far enough now that if I don't want to run back and forth on the same bit of path, I have to go up and down a bit!

A big thank you to you all!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!!!!!! Awesome job!!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Really glad we collectively made a difference to you :)

Happy Running
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yay!!

As someone else mentioned, Shut Up and Run is pretty funny. But another really great source for beginning runners (and I'm not sure I mentioned this previously) is Another Mother Runner. They have a book called Run Like a Mother, and it's hilarious and informative. I've been following them for years, and you'll learn a lot of great stuff from them. Their FB feed is particularly useful.

http://anothermotherrunner.com/
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Um. I hate running. I've done it to get in shape for rugby or when there are no other options (like vising the in-laws) but I still hate it. Truthfully when I go for a run, usually the first 5 minutes are occupied by me singing "I hate running" over and over again in my head until I get into the rhythm of it.