Keep going over!

I am on a 1200 calorie plan. The first fourth months I did 1000 calories a day and I lost 10 pounds. I still have 5-10 pounds to lose and now I'm eating my 1200 a day and some days I even go over 50-100 calories. Not every day but a couple days a week. I'm 5ft, 23 years old. I'm just wondering do most people lose and go over a little? I work out 5 days a week between strength and cardio but I plan on uping my cardio from now.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,048 Member
    Are you eating back some of those exercise calories?
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Are you eating back some of those exercise calories?

No not really only on the days I go over 50-100 calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    So you're still netting under 1200 calories? That's what you should be reaching after exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    You've only got 10lbs left to lose, running a 1000 calorie deficit at this stage is too severe, If it were me I'd change your goal to lose 0.5lbs a week and eat back some of your exercise calories. You'll get to eat more and still lose weight, win win.
    Personally i can't do 1200 calories, for me it's just not enough.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Overall, I try to stick pretty close to my target - over or under by 100cal doesn't bother me, as long as it's not always in one direction. Remember it's a target, not an upper limit. Maybe look at your weekly average and make sure it's working out around 1200 per day.

I found it useful to work out my maintenance calories (just put in my goal to stay the same weight). As long as I'm below that, I'm still in deficit, just one that will give me a slower rate of loss. It made me feel more relaxed about special occasions and eating that piece of birthday cake or slice of pizza.