Bone broth

Options
Anyone heard of bone broth??
What way do you make it? When do you have it??
Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    soup base
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    My grandmom used to make it every sunday. With noodles or little shape pasta.
    Put bones and also some meat into a big pot with cold water and add some whole black pepper. Cook very slow, on a low heat and for a long time. (She used to even for 2-3 hours to get more flavour from the bones) about an hour before finishing add some root vegetables and parsley. Done. I used to work in hospitality too and I'm restaurants they usually roast bones with some meat and oil and make broth from that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I make my own stock. Chicken feet didn't sell very well (at all, except for me), so they give me the feet and stuff for practically nothing. Twenty cents. :)

It seems like a big deal when you first start, but once you're used to doing it, it's nothing. So very easy. The first time is the hardest. After that, it gets easier and easier. :)

I save my onion scraps in a baggie in the freezer and that works well for me. People say buying fresh onion is better, though. I like using the bits. Since they'd be tossed, anyway, it's like I'm getting something for nothing.

Basically, you just throw the bones (feet, necks, backs) and veggie scraps (or fresh) in and let it simmer, scraping the scum off the top as it forms. I strain mine through cheesecloth (twice, because I'm anal like that) when I'm done and store it in baggies. I sit them up straight until they get kinda slushy, then I flatten them out so they freeze flat (saves room in the freezer.) Some of the bags aren't measured, but some are. So often, you need one cup, so I bag up a bunch of one cup bags.

Many people let it cool in the pot and revoke the fat the next day and save that to use. If you need tallow, it's a great idea.

I always think that Alton Brown is the best place to start for any dish because he's easy and fun. Here's the recipe from "Good Eats" - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-stock-recipe.html

Homemade stock is 1000 times better than the stuff in those boxes in the store. I don't know WHY they don't (or can't) make it well, but they don't. That stuff is practically useless.

Everything made with stock tastes better when you use your own. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    dead thing soup. Extremely good for you.

Get some beef bone or a chicken carcass - put it in a crook pot, add water, veg herbs and seasoning.

Cook it for 48hrs.

Strain the juice (stock). Stick it in a container in the fridge - should last a good few days - or freeze it.

Put the stock in a cup and heat in the microwave, then drink it.

Or you can use the stock in cooking.

It's an acquired taste, but worth the hassle.

• marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Will definitely be making this, heard it's meant to be great for digestion and collegen!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    My mom has been making chicken soup this way, and my grandmother before her, and my great-grandmother before her, for generations. Chicken bones (and some meat), veggies, let cook, then skim everything off except the broth. It's a staple in my diet.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    marsia1234 wrote: »
    Thanks!

It's fad that preys on the ignorant. It's called stock and has been made for hundreds of years. It's no wonder it's generally extolled by Paleo dieters and it's sold at a premium

Actually bone broth is cooked much longer than stock, at least 24 hours, until the bones are soft, to strip the marrow. The broth when cooled will actually jelly from the marrow.

Stock, I make that all the time and I agree with the above that homemade stock will make everything taste better.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    marsia1234 wrote: »
    Thanks!

It's fad that preys on the ignorant. It's called stock and has been made for hundreds of years. It's no wonder it's generally extolled by Paleo dieters and it's sold at a premium

Actually bone broth is cooked much longer than stock, at least 24 hours, until the bones are soft, to strip the marrow. The broth when cooled will actually jelly from the marrow.

Stock, I make that all the time and I agree with the above that homemade stock will make everything taste better.

Lol, no. Bone broth is a marketing term

How long was the below cooked for? It's apparently not faddish bone broth since it wasn't cooked 24 hrs+, which is silliness anyways

puwgbl212clv.jpg

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My stock gels and I only cook it for a few hours. Occasionally it'll simmer all day if I put it on early enough but no more than that. I tried the bone broth thing twice (cooking it for excessive amounts of time once with a small amount of vinegar to "demineralize the bones" and the second time without) and frankly it was revolting -- such a waste of good bones!

Make a regular stock, IMO.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I meant to write, my understanding from the people i know that make "bone broth" is that (insert whatever i wrote above) is the difference. I'm making no claims what-so-ever on any claimed advantages to consuming nor I am debating the validity of the term.

As I stated above, I agree that whatever you make at home, soups, stews, pot pies or anything else that needs broth, will taste so much better with homemade stock.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Mom used to make it and I never liked it. We usually had it cold, molded and filled with meat and stuff (google aspic).
    1243-400.jpg

I thought that was the reason for my aversion since I don't like meat, so I tried it hot and without meat and I still didn't like it. Turns out it's the marrow, I just can't take its taste. It sure can look interesting though.

The broth itself is nothing special. If you don't like it you are not missing much. It has trace minerals and gelatin, all of which you can get quite easily without having to leave the stove on for 2 days. If you do like it though, plain bone broth is fairly low in calories so you'll get to enjoy a decent serving.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you guys talking about stock/broths or are you talking about aspics?

I haven't had an aspic in probably 30 years. Are they back, under a different name?
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just made some this past week -
    6 Leg/thigh quarters, 2 onions quartered, 4 celery ribs, 4-5 carrots, bay leaves, poultry seasoning, salt & pepper. Covered with water then simmered about 4-5 hours.

Strained, pulled all meat and put in freezer for soups or casseroles. Gave the bones & scraps & vegetables to my chickens to eat. After refrigerating overnight I separated the fat & bagged the stock for later use (which was beautifully gelled).
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I make mine with carrots, celery, onions, garlic, apple cider vinegar, poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers and of course, CHICKEN FEET! I cook it on the stove top on low for 24 hours. It is so gelatinous that it looks like Jell-O when cooled. And tastes likes Chicken Caldo. I freeze into individual servings & drink it at least once a day, if not twice a day. The benefits of bone broth are never ending. Enjoy!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I save all my chicken bones and carcasses in the freezer and then I dump them into a crock pot with water and cook them until the bones soften. I usually do it for 24 hours because that is what is convenient for me. Mash it around to get marrow out of the softened bones and then strain and discard the big chunks. Save it in the freezer. You can use it for lots of stuff like boiling rice or quinoa, many savory recipes that call for water, and of course making soup.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I make a gallon of stock every week, but I have never heard of cooking it >24hrs. Do you have your gas stove on all night while you sleep and when you're away at work, or do you put it in an electric slow cooker or something like that? I don't think I'd sleep well knowing the gas is on. Never leave the house with the gas on, either.

I do soak the bones in an acidic solution (apple cider vinegar or lemon juice with water) for a day or more before cooking, though. Anyone else do that? Mine gels, too, at ~6hrs cooking.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    "Bone Broth" makes me laugh... an obvious attempt by someone with a marketing degree to label something cooks and chefs have been making for hundreds if not thousands of years... it is simply beef/chicken/lamb/bison/ etc... etc.. soup stock... the number of ways to "render" the nutrients from the bones and add flavor are numerous however ideally your "soup bones" should be simmered in a large stockpot for at least 24 hours...I add basic aromatics depending on the bones... I will use carrots Onions and celery along with a bay leaf or two, or three or four... with "red meat" and rosemary and thyme with poultry... along with sea salt and black pepper... I will let that simmer with about 16 cups of water to start... and begin about 7 in the morning so I can revisit it the next morning... as the day progresses I add water to account for the evaporation... once it is all done I strain the stock through cheese cloth.. then stick it in the fridge to firm up the fat so I can skim that off before "canning" the stock for future use...( I usually use a 2 cup Rubbermaid container) I will use it for home made soup, sauces and gravies...

the benefits I will leave to readers to research... soup stock ought to be an important part of everyone's diet. for such a small investment (stockpot). and a few hours over the weekend...and some inexpensive ingredients, it is an excellent source of nutrition...

BONE Broth... Hilarious...
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    one word if you are going to use poultry... it is important to crack open the bones to allow the marrow to escape. I will usually use the dull side of a knife and just crack them open on the cutting board, before tossing them in the pot... and it isn't necessary to sacrifice a whole chicken ... a pack of chicken wings is just as good... or a pack of chicken thighs with the meat taken off... the key is to get at the marrow.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I try to crack any bones I am using. I always make stock out of the ham hock as well. Never try to totally clean the bone when cooking a ham, just boil that sucker. I like to add carrots, onions and celery for extra flavor as well. You want to expose the marrow to the boiling liquid for the best flavor for sure.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i make stock automatically any time there are bones. beef and pork i freeze in 2-cup-or-more batches, for soups and whatever. with chicken stock, most of it gets frozen in ice-cube trays and then baggied.

and my grocery store frequently sells dirt-cheap packages of chicken 'breast bones' or something. forget what they call it, but it's clearly the leftover parts when they're splitting and deboning the breasts. they must whack off the cartilage at the tip of the breastbone in the process of doing that.

so it's not actually bone, just these scraps of chicken tenderloin meat with a little cartilage and tendon in it. that stuff makes an incredible broth. practically no fat at all, and the best flavour.

i don't do commercial/pre-packaged stock/broth at all, so i can't compare.