New runner needs advice

Options
Hello everyone! I've just started doing the couch to 5K routine and I'm a brand new runner. I've only done the first couple of days of the program but I've noticed that I am constantly sore in my shin area of both legs. It's not a sharp pain, just a persistant dull ache. I'm alright with soreness, but I was wondering if this was a sign that I'm running with poor form or if I'm just using those muscles more than usual. Up until now my cardio was always the elliptical or road biking, and I'm very close to my goal weight, so it's not that I'm very large. I'm mostly concerned because I have a reoccuring knee injury, which is why I have never run until now, and I don't want to exacerbate it with poor form. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    do a search on the forum for "shin splints". You;ll find lots of answers. :smile:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    the cool running site for C25K also has info on shin splints and other info for new runners. I just started week 2 myself, and after seeing a friend's posts about having to stop C25k due to shin pain, I'm very careful to warm-up, stretch, cool down and stretch every single time i run.
  • mperu0608
    mperu0608 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there,
    My wife and I started a similar routine last year, and had the exact same problem. You are probably suffering from shin splints. There are a few things we did to progressively make that pain go away, and I hope they work for you, too.

1. If you are semi-serious about running, it's a good idea to invest in a pair of shoes. Go to a running store where they will look at your running form and pick out a pair of shoes that's right for you. If the salesman goes to the wall of shoes and picks out one that just looks the best and doesn't watch you run in them, you know that's maybe not the right shoe.
    2. Start slow. Your legs are used to running so you need to work up the weekly mileage a little bit at a time. I think we increased our weekly miles ran at a rate of about 10% per week.
    3. If you do get shin pain don't overdo it. It is OK to walk in the beginning and not run. It is also OK to not even walk at all if the pain is too bad. The point is do not run or walk through the pain, you will only make it worse.
    4. If you have pain after or during a workout, then you should be icing your shins. We did it about 2 times a day. It helped a lot.
    5. Ibuprofen or Advil helped a lot for us. It reduces swelling to help your muscles recover.
    6. Lastly, be patient with yourself. New runners always want to run farther and faster NOW. The reality is it takes a while to build up to the miles you actually want to run.

Good luck!
  • zach_fox
    zach_fox Posts: 1
    Options
    I run with shin splints a ton as well, the biggest thing is to keep running to strengthen the muscles that aren't used to being worked this much. There are numerous stretches that you can find online that will be helpful, but I have also found that tapping your foot, or more specifically, pointing your toes until you feel a slight stretch while at your desk, on your couch or whenever you are sitting down is a great way to help soften the pain
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    make SURE you are STRETCHING YOUR CALVES!!!!! :) Really well!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ah, bummer! Ice helps. Running on a surface other than pavement might help. Take it easy going down hills. Shin splints are tough though, you may just have to rest and wait them out. Those muscles will get stronger as you go. Good luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    walking around for several minutes each day on your heels (toes in the air) can help quite a bit too.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    sore isnt bad, work through it, pain would be very bad
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    Hey there,
    My wife and I started a similar routine last year, and had the exact same problem. You are probably suffering from shin splints. There are a few things we did to progressively make that pain go away, and I hope they work for you, too.

1. If you are semi-serious about running, it's a good idea to invest in a pair of shoes. Go to a running store where they will look at your running form and pick out a pair of shoes that's right for you. If the salesman goes to the wall of shoes and picks out one that just looks the best and doesn't watch you run in them, you know that's maybe not the right shoe.
    2. Start slow. Your legs are used to running so you need to work up the weekly mileage a little bit at a time. I think we increased our weekly miles ran at a rate of about 10% per week.
    3. If you do get shin pain don't overdo it. It is OK to walk in the beginning and not run. It is also OK to not even walk at all if the pain is too bad. The point is do not run or walk through the pain, you will only make it worse.
    4. If you have pain after or during a workout, then you should be icing your shins. We did it about 2 times a day. It helped a lot.
    5. Ibuprofen or Advil helped a lot for us. It reduces swelling to help your muscles recover.
    6. Lastly, be patient with yourself. New runners always want to run farther and faster NOW. The reality is it takes a while to build up to the miles you actually want to run.

Good luck!

Awesome tips! =)
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Be careful. Shin Splints can lead to stress fractures if you push it too much. Once you get a stress fracture you'll hang up the running shoes for 6-8 weeks.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It might be your running shoes, I had the same problem, i would buy shoes just b/c they were cute, turns out those cute shoes gave me ugly shin splints. I went to a running store they did a test recorded me running on a treadmil and sure enough I needed more support from my shoe!! Take it easy and the more you push through the shin splints the more it hurts!! Good luck!!
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yup, sounds like shin splints. Icing and Ibuprofen (which is the same exact thing as Advil and Motrin, BTW) can help. So can stretching- try sitting kneeling on the floor so the tops of your feet are pressed into a straight line with your shins. It may also help to warm up that muscle before you start by doing some toe-taps. Good luck!
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    I had the same problem. It felt like the muscles next to my shins were seconds away from cramping up.... I talked with my friend that runs and she suggested I slow down. I was going 5.0 to start, which is not fast for some, but my short legs were having issues. I lowered it to 4.0 and figured once I have reached the 5k goal then I can work on increasing my speed. By the end of the intervals 4.0 still kicks my butt (I am doing the C25K also). My suggestion would be to slow down a little and see if it helps u like it did for me. Good luck :0)
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, you're awesome! The good news is that my runner friend is taking me to the fancy store to get fitted for new running shoes and there's a trail by my house so that I can avoid running on pavement. I'll be taking the other bits of advice as well. Hopefully it will all work out and I can do my first 5K sometime in August. Thanks again!
  • sezgirl
    sezgirl Posts: 23
    Options
    Be careful. Shin Splints can lead to stress fractures if you push it too much. Once you get a stress fracture you'll hang up the running shoes for 6-8 weeks.

true story! i wound up with a stress fracture from doing too much impact (was training for a full marathon and doing too much areobics) it was a horrible set back!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Shoes...go to a local running store and have them do a gait analysis and make sure you're in good shoes...that will make a world of difference!