Input on Ciabatta bread?

Options
I normally eat whole wheat bread with my sandwiches but it is getting pretty boring. I have to change things up all the time. I love love love ciabatta bread, and wondering if it would be a healthy choice? I know it's high in carbs, but it seems to be pretty low in fat, and cholesterol. What do you guys think?

Replies

• erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too healthy, but if you exercise enough maybe you can offset the calories.

If I get bored of a sandwich, I like throwing pita under the broiler with tomato, feta and turkey. It's delicious and lo-cal!

I'll also do a light version of a tuna melt, using english muffin, tuna, and cheddar with veggie mayo.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    I don't think it's too healthy, but if you exercise enough maybe you can offset the calories.

If I get bored of a sandwich, I like throwing pita under the broiler with tomato, feta and turkey. It's delicious and lo-cal!

I'll also do a light version of a tuna melt, using english muffin, tuna, and cheddar with veggie mayo.

Those both sound delicious! I've never had feta.. I'll have to try it soon!
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I always gut out my breads, including bagels, rolls, and ciabatta. It saves some calories and it makes me feel good seeing all the bread that I will not be eating. Besides, the bread is just used to hold the sandwich anyways. Also try wrapping your sandwich in a big lettuce leaf and omitting the bread all together. I don't ever feel like I'm missing out when I do that, and especially in the summertime, it's refreshing.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Ive recently tried Rye bread, I like it :) There are many diff flavours
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    I always gut out my breads, including bagels, rolls, and ciabatta. It saves some calories and it makes me feel good seeing all the bread that I will not be eating. Besides, the bread is just used to hold the sandwich anyways. Also try wrapping your sandwich in a big lettuce leaf and omitting the bread all together. I don't ever feel like I'm missing out when I do that, and especially in the summertime, it's refreshing.

Gutting out the bread is a GREAT idea! Thanks for that! I will definitely try wrapping the sandwich in a lettuce leaf too. Brilliant! :happy:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've read ciabatta is just fancy white bread, so it probably isn't too nutritious.

I like the baguettes that are baked at the grocery store, you could make mini sandwiches with those?
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    Yeah the problem with white bread products is that they are less nutrient dense than whole grain bread products. If you eat your sandwiches with ciabatta, you are missing out on precious fiber, vitamins, and minerals you could be getting from other whole grain complex carb sources. Since you are calorie restricted, its important that you get the same amount or more nutrition than you were getting when you were eating more calories. That's why all of your food needs to be nutrient dense so that you get the same amount of nutrition while eating less calories. I suggest browsing the bakery department and just experimenting with whatever whole grain products they have available or trying the lettuce wrap idea.