Pop addiction?

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with drinking pop? It has been my number one drink everyday for maybe the past 10-15 years. Its been so long I can;t even remember!! I drink about 4 cans of diet pepsi a day and would love to quit but it seems like i cant go long without that fizzy taste! Need some hints on how to get my butt off the stuff!! I would love to be a water drinker but i find it just doesnt have that kick my pop does. heeeelllppp i want to be a water drinker!!! :explode:

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 3 large dr. peppers every day!! I slowly brought it down to mediums, then smalls... now I don't touch the stuff!! I love soda but not enough to blow my daily sugar in one sitting!! You can do it... Im a water freak now and I used to hate water!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've tried on and off and the easiest was going from pop to club soda flavored with mio. and then froce myself to drink atleast 12oz of water before I allowed myself to have any.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    you could try using seltzer water with just a splash of fruit juice(its better if you use juice concentrate)....or buy the carbonated (or "fizzy") flavored water, which has no cals, no sugar, no sodium....it's what i did to wean myself off
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    story of my life. try bubble water or carbonated water. You could probably even mix a crystl light packet in there to make it take better :P
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Start cutting back a little at a time and think about alternating sparking water with your soda.

It worked for me and I'm 13 weeks 'clean' this week! Only took me a year of concentrated effort before it stuck - I had kept trying to quit cold turkey and couldn't do it. The cutting it back bit by bit and using the sparking water as a substitute worked. Finally!

I know this is just going to pile bad on top, but I've read several stories online about diet soda having narcotic like effects on the brain and quitting is just like quitting heroin or other hard drugs - your system totally freaks out without it. So weaning yourself off is the best way to go.

Of course, I didn't read that stuff until AFTER I quit drinking it... I hope that helps! You can do it - even if you just cut out an ounce at a time.

Also, I just saw a few posts that talk about Crystal Light and MIO water flavorings. They both use Aspartame or Sucralose, which are the same sugar additives that are in diet soda. All BAD for us and what causes the addiction to diet sodas! IMO, this is going to keep the problem cravings going. You're better off using flavored sparkling waters to help quit.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Im a former PEPSI-aholic....I stopped drinking alcohol 8 years ago cold turkey and picked up Pepsi. I would drink 8 or 9 12 oz cans a day. SOme times more. I would go bonkers if I didnt drink lots of it. When I started my diet and in prep for me to have the gastric bypass operation I HAD to stop Pepsi and ALL Soda's. I drank my last one in May. I stopped cold turkey...I told myself I HAD to do it. And I did. I now drink 3 8 oz of diet cranberry juice plus 10 , 8 oz of ice water every day...
    Good luck!!
  • arcolamom
    arcolamom Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome tips everyone! All I have done is tried to quit cold turkey which like my smoking habit i know usually doesnt work! LOL Will use all your tips and try and get off this addiction soon, and will keep you all posted as to how it goes!! Thanks again for the encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • lynn_1290
    lynn_1290 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have the same exact problem! I stopped drinking soda for about a month and felt so much better and didnt even want it anymore, but I have started drinking it again, but I want to be a water drinker too! No more soda! =]