Half Marathon :)

Options
So I just started running more lately (running 5ks) which is amazing in itself! They are manageable but still sometimes a little rough (my pace is slooowww). For all my runners out there, how long did it take to run you to run a half marathon? I signed up for one in April, but I'm nervous I might struggle a lot. Is that enough training time? If so, any tips/tricks for endurance? Thanks!!!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed I was running about 2 years before I did my first half-marathon but I also ran my first race at 52. At your age you recover more quickly.

The big thing for you right now is to build your aerobic base which means running consistently 3 or 4 times per week and gradually building up your distances (the general rule of thumb is to not increase your total running volume more than 10% week over week.

Having a training plan is also helpful it will give you a structured approach to race preparation.

Here's a link to a free novice plan by Hal Higdon (a very well respected running coach and racer in his day)

halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

You'll notice that it's 12 weeks long, what you might consider given that you've got until next April is to work through this one time not worrying at all about pace and then start over again but with his Novice 2 plan

halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

If you can comfortably run 5K now you and you follow the plans you should be ready for race day. Both of these plans are designed for you to finish the race with a smile on your face. If you decide that you really enjoy racing he also has plans for runners who want to improve their finishing times.

Have fun!
  • jenhitt
    jenhitt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I followed the novice 1 plan that @briansharpe linked to for my first half, and it got me plenty ready in less time than you've got. I totally recommend it. Happy training!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hneagle1 wrote: »
    So I just started running more lately (running 5ks) which is amazing in itself! They are manageable but still sometimes a little rough (my pace is slooowww). For all my runners out there, how long did it take to run you to run a half marathon? I signed up for one in April, but I'm nervous I might struggle a lot. Is that enough training time? If so, any tips/tricks for endurance? Thanks!!!

I am consistently inconsistent as a runner.... I started running regularly in August 14, ran a 10k in November 14, stopped running, started again in Jan 15, ran a 10k in May 15, got knee ligament damage in September 15, DNS a 10k in November 15, stopped running while injured, signed up for a HM in Jan 16 when I could run again, completed my first half in May 16.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon during April several years ago and started training probably in early January. I would do my normal cardio during the week and a long road run on the weekend. Starting in the 3-5 mile range, I would add a mile a week until I got up to about 11-12 miles.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My first Half Marathon was September 25 of this year. I started formal training July 4. I had run for about two years, after a lay off of about 40 years, before I decided to do a 5 K. Did it, felt good, signed up for another, and then another and then a 4 miler and the Half.

I was contacted by a local running coach after the second 5K and for $150 took her up on her offer of coaching. Met her once, our schedules just did not jive. Weekly plans/runs were sent via e-mail as was my feed back on that weeks plan. Everything went well. I did the work, she assigned the work, I told her how the work was going and she tweaked the plan as necessary.

Did the Half. Went in with a goal of 2:30 and ran it in 2:17. Not a flat course by any stretch and Coach always said I did not do myself any favors by making that tough course my first Half. Now that that's done, I go into the winter, continuing to build my running base miles, getting into a lifting program (SL5x5) and contemplating next springs calendar. That first 5K I ran might turn into my first 10K which is held at the same time.

My plan included weekly mileage of 22-25 with a long run topping out at 13 miles. There was very little speed work. Most runs were aerobic, easy conversational pace.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I started really training for my first in April of that year and ran it in September. I had been running 5 and 10k's for about 2 years prior to that. I followed a half marathon training plan strictly and was more than ready on race day. Good luck to you!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    That's a good amount of time to train properly.
    When I signed up for my first half I had only a month notice. However, my weekly mileage was 20+ miles a week.
    What's your weekly mileage right now?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I was already running .. then just added mileage on top of that. Do you a training plan plus do the taper at the end of training plan..
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed I was running about 2 years before I did my first half-marathon but I also ran my first race at 52. At your age you recover more quickly.

The big thing for you right now is to build your aerobic base which means running consistently 3 or 4 times per week and gradually building up your distances (the general rule of thumb is to not increase your total running volume more than 10% week over week.

Having a training plan is also helpful it will give you a structured approach to race preparation.

Here's a link to a free novice plan by Hal Higdon (a very well respected running coach and racer in his day)

halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

You'll notice that it's 12 weeks long, what you might consider given that you've got until next April is to work through this one time not worrying at all about pace and then start over again but with his Novice 2 plan

halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

If you can comfortably run 5K now you and you follow the plans you should be ready for race day. Both of these plans are designed for you to finish the race with a smile on your face. If you decide that you really enjoy racing he also has plans for runners who want to improve their finishing times.

Have fun!

Hneagle1 - This is great advice. Do this and you'll cross the HM finish line feeling like a champion.
  • whitec13
    whitec13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hecourtney
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, don't worry about pace, concentrate on distance.

I'd been running 5ks for a couple of years and then decided I wanted to do more. I ran my first 10k in October 2009 (I was in my 40s) and immediately decided to start training for a half marathon. I didn't really follow any particular training plan, but just gradually increased my run length. I wasn't too bothered about time, all I wanted to do was finish.

I ran my first half in May 2010, so seven months after my first 10k.

You've got this!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    hneagle1 wrote: »

I started running in January of this year, but I was just kind of running with no plan in place. I ran my 1st two 5Ks in early May, then I discovered there are training plans online. I already signed up for a 10K for June, so I just kind of started the training plan based on how much time I had left. (I'm sure this isn't the right way, but it's what I did.) I then used a training plan to get ready for a 15K in July, and just ran my 1st half marathon on October 1st.

So, I definitely think you have time to get prepared for a Half Marathon; however, you might want to run a 10K and or a 15K ahead of time. The longer distances are definitely different from a 5K. You don't have to run as fast, but you have to build your endurance to make sure you can run the race without pooping out. 13.1 miles sounded completely unrealistic to me at one time, but now that I've completed my 1st Half, I loved it. I have another in 2 months, and an now working towards my 1st marathon. 26.2 still sounds super crazy long to me, but I know I'll get there!!

By the way, there are a lot of training plans out there, but I've had great success with the Hal Higdon training plans. There are a variety of levels based on your experience and how much time you want to commit to running each week.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'll go against the general advice of not worrying about pace. You should worry about pace. Worry about not going too fast! As someone else mentioned you need to build your aerobic base for endurance racing. You do that by running slow. If you're not using a heart rate monitor (HRM) then the best way to determine if you're running as slowly as you should is by talking. You should be able to hold a conversation with someone without pausing to catch your breath. If you can do that while running then you're running slowly enough. If you can't run at all and do that then you need to start out with walking.

It's a little counter-intuitive, and if I didn't have an HRM I'd have difficulty holding myself back, but that's what it takes to build the necessary endurance.
  • hneagle1
    hneagle1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All these posts are awesome!! I'm so excited!! Thanks again for this help and information. Feel free to add me :)
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon after running a total of 5 months. I liked the half it was fun but I did not have the base I needed to make it my best race.

Runkeeper has some easy half marathon training plans that work with a smartphone.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon in March too. I've done lots of 10k races, but this will be my first half!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    following for advice. I run regularly during the lighter months 5k distances plus longer mileage build up at weekends. I’m concentrating on strength training now the mornings are dark but still aim to do 1-2 3-5 mile runs a week. I’ve never actually raced a 5k, but have done a 7.5k and a 10k, with a 12k planned for the beginning of November. I’m aiming for a rocky trail/coastal path HM in March, probably booking in a 10k similar terrain race in February to get used to the type of terrain. I mostly run off-road anyway so pace means very little to me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Actually, I'll go against the general advice of not worrying about pace. You should worry about pace. Worry about not going too fast!

Good point, I should have been clearer.

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There's a free app from Asics that you can use to build your own plan that suits you based on your current ability, your goal, the date of your race, how many times per week you can train and which day you want to be your long run. It's good and will tell you if your goal is achievable. Worth checking out in my opinion.