Popliteas muscle tear/torn calf?

Options
Any one out there have one and if so how long did it take you to feel normal again?? Specifically how soon after could you walk without pain? What did you do for it?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Okay, I gotta tell you this.
    I had tennis player's claf a while ago. I don't know if that is what you have or not. But it is likely. It is a strained calf. Very painful. Usually happens suddenly and, when it happens, it can feel like someone kicked you.
    I could not get it better by resting it. I happened to meet an orthopedist for a professional sports team and he said: Don't rest it. You have to go out and jog on it, easy pace, just a mile or so, every day -- no matter how much it HURTS!
    It did hurt. But, after having tried to get it better for months and months by going easy on it, to no avail, his recommendation worked in about a week.
    I don't know if you are a runner or not. But, if you aren't, perhaps you could try just walking on it, everyday, for a good distance. The calf is kind of a different muscle because we use it so much and it carries so much weight.
  • pigmetal
    pigmetal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I was doing step ups on a park bench with my left leg and on the third one when I came down I heard and felt a large pop on the back of my leg just below the knee. I limped home about 1/3 of a mile or so. I find comfort in knee flexion and am unable to stand flat footed with calf in full extension. It is so painful. I'm using a walker to get around at the moment. I have been exercising the surrounding muscles and following the normal ortho/pt protocol. Hopefully I can gradually work up to putting more weight on it. If no results I may try what you suggested. Ty!!
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I hope you feel better soon!
  • pigmetal
    Options
    Thanks so much. It already feels better than it did yesterday so I think I'm on thought track. :)
  • pigmetal
    Options
    The right track. I hate auto correct!!