Queen of Spades

Options

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had a cat named Pushkin.

That is an awesome name for a kitty! A friend of mine in high school named the family kitty "Dickens" after Charles Dickens of course. Not sure the kitty had any literary talent, however.
  • Sloth2016
    edited October 2016
    Options
    "The Queen of Spades" (Russian: Пиковая дама; translit. Pikovaya dama) is a short story with supernatural elements by Alexander Pushkin about human avarice. Pushkin wrote the story in autumn 1833 in Boldino[1] and it was first published in the literary magazine Biblioteka dlya chteniya in March 1834.[2]

The story was the basis of the operas The Queen of Spades (1890) by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, La dame de pique (1850) by Fromental Halévy and Pique Dame (1864) by Franz von Suppé[3] (the overture to the Suppé work is all that remains in today's repertoire). It has been filmed various times, the most notable version being a 1949 film by the same name directed by Thorold Dickinson.

I love Russian literature threads. MFP should have an Eastern Literature forum. Maybe call it "Czech-chat" or something.
  • StillBreathingFitness
    StillBreathingFitness Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    Now this is am interesting thread. I'm not sure it went the direction the OP expected.
  • Sloth2016
    Options
    Actually if they changed the name of the site to "My 19th Century Russian Literature Pal" it would be a lot less boring.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    That Tchaikovsky is beautiful. :)
    Guess you didn't mean Ace of Spades either.
    https://youtu.be/pWB5JZRGl0U

RIP Lemmy. :s
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I learn something new here everyday. Note to self: do not wear a queen of spades shirt...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Actually if they changed the name of the site to "My 19th Century Russian Literature Pal" it would be a lot less boring.

I'm possibly in favor of this, although I'd be sad to leave off Bulgakov, 20th Century that he was.

We could talk about their diet and fitness regimes too -- Tolstoy favored a plant-based diet.
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If one person goes away and reads some Pushkin - result!
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dostoevsky is brilliant too
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is really cool: https://rbth.com/russian_kitchen/2016/08/05/apples-for-the-poet-alexander-pushkins-source-of-inspiration_618579

"Unlike most of his fellow 19th-century aristocrats, poet Alexander Pushkin was not picky about his diet. He preferred simple traditional Russian food and adored the dishes cooked by his nanny, Arina Rodionovna, who was an important figure for both his life and work. In one poem, Pushkin addressed Arina as “Dear doting sweetheart of my childhood, // Companion of my austere fate!” (as translated by Avril Pyman). Arina Rodionovna, who was a serf of the Pushkin family, cultivated the love for folk culture and folklore in the soul of the poet....

However, a diet of traditional Russian food was not the best one for preserving a dashing figure, so Pushkin, like his English counterpart George Lord Byron, fasted for much of the day, and made pickled fruits and vegetables the main part of his evening meal. When a guest at the Trigorskoye estate, Pushkin asked his hosts to bring him pickled apples even past midnight. Vyazemskiy even commented on this strange habit: 'Pickled apples really put him in a state of ecstasy.'"
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I don't think Angela wants to talk about Pushkin.

I am not sure why you have a penchant for sexually inclined discussions in a place which tries to be PG-13.

I've wondered that. Surely having multiple threads deleted might lead one to believe that there are more appropriate places for sexually charged discussions than a calorie counting and fitness site.

Or..... you would think that those with sticks up their *kitten* about sexually charged threads would find a more appropriate forum on that same site, instead of hanging out in chitchat or fun n games.

Not certain that it's the intent of MFP to turn ChitChat into a cesspool.

But I could be wrong...

You very well could be.

This is a website and just like most sites, sex is discussed and sometimes joked about here. If you don't like it then maybe you should avoid such threads. This site has multiple sub forums you can choose from that best fits your tastes. Obviously chitchat or the fun and games forums aren't for you if you cannot adapt to the broad ranges of subjects discussed.

tumblr_m1md7md7FQ1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Huh? The story being discussed has no sex in it, though, as it was written almost 200 years ago. Yes, The Queen of Swords has been around the long!

Why do did you insert the video of that adorable couple kissing?

Maybe CPR is one of the "broad ranges of subjects discussed" ?

That's true, I never thought of that. I don't think the story has CPR in it, but I'll take a quick looksee.......

Nope, no CPR.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This is really cool: https://rbth.com/russian_kitchen/2016/08/05/apples-for-the-poet-alexander-pushkins-source-of-inspiration_618579

"Unlike most of his fellow 19th-century aristocrats, poet Alexander Pushkin was not picky about his diet. He preferred simple traditional Russian food and adored the dishes cooked by his nanny, Arina Rodionovna, who was an important figure for both his life and work. In one poem, Pushkin addressed Arina as “Dear doting sweetheart of my childhood, // Companion of my austere fate!” (as translated by Avril Pyman). Arina Rodionovna, who was a serf of the Pushkin family, cultivated the love for folk culture and folklore in the soul of the poet....

However, a diet of traditional Russian food was not the best one for preserving a dashing figure, so Pushkin, like his English counterpart George Lord Byron, fasted for much of the day, and made pickled fruits and vegetables the main part of his evening meal. When a guest at the Trigorskoye estate, Pushkin asked his hosts to bring him pickled apples even past midnight. Vyazemskiy even commented on this strange habit: 'Pickled apples really put him in a state of ecstasy.'"

Thanks for posting that link, it is cool for sure.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,818 Member
    Options
    Okay someone give me a hint, wth is this? Obviously not a short story and I'm guessing not a card game so, help me.
    Urban-dictionary it.

So thanks to urban dictionary, I've learned two interesting definitions of this term. :o

• Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,709 Member
    Options
    So sad....