Calcium issues

Options
keanndreg
keanndreg Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Good morning eveyone! I just started this app on October 1st and it is working great. No headaches or light-headedness as I am making sure I eat the foods that supply what ever nutrients I need for the day. My only issue I have noticed is calcium! I can't manage to incorporate over 50% and i know it's important for my bones and teeth mainly. Does anyone know of foods high in calcium but low in sugar and fat? I already drink 1% fat milk 4oz per day and 1oz of block cheese....yogurt when I can but it has so much sugar I can't do it every day. Please help with suggestions.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You can Google "calcium rich foods." There are many.

Do you like greek yogurt? I buy plain greek yogurt and use it as a replacement for (or ingredient in ) homemade sauces, dressings and over fruit. The sugar in milk (lactose) isn't something to worry about.

That said, I also take a supplement for Calcium because as a woman on a lower calorie plan I have trouble getting enough, too.
  • keanndreg
    Options
    I have tried Greek yogurt but the consist is hard for me to get used to. I go with noosa brand now but previously I used Stoney field organic low fat but it had 29g of sugar per serving vs. The 15g in noosa. But thank you i will try google now. And i will also look into supplements but I wanted to try the balanced diet first.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a lot of foods that are rich in calcium are not accurately logged on this site - possibly due to laziness or ignorance. Leafy greens and cruceferous vegetables are rich in calcium, salmon with skin (or canned salmon), marrow and bone broth, sardines with bones, dairy, almonds, edamame. Weight bearing exercises help as well.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When you click on Community you can click the Search link and type in calcium. I also make an effort to get my full 100% daily amount of calcium. I responded to another poster with the following response. Hope it helps.
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    nwhite16 wrote: »
    How can I incorporate enough calcium into my diet? I notice how I fail to meet the recommendations per day and have just been diagnosed with osteopenia.
    I like a Strawberries and Cream Premier Protein shake once/day. It gives me 50% of my daily calcium needs and 25% of my vitamin D needs. It's 160 calories for 11 ounces and filling. I get most of my vitamin D from the sun and fish.

Here are some good sources of calcium
    3lv7ewkcihnq.jpg

Vitamin D is needed for the calcium to be absorbed in our bodies. Here are some sources of Vitamin D
    ry6e54vmi8x8.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you click on Community you can click the Search link and type in calcium. I also make an effort to get my full 100% daily amount of calcium. I responded to another poster with the following response. Hope it helps.
    nwhite16 wrote: »
    How can I incorporate enough calcium into my diet? I notice how I fail to meet the recommendations per day and have just been diagnosed with osteopenia.
    I like a Strawberries and Cream Premier Protein shake once/day. It gives me 50% of my daily calcium needs and 25% of my vitamin D needs. It's 160 calories for 11 ounces and filling. I get most of my vitamin D from the sun and fish.

Here are some good sources of calcium
    3lv7ewkcihnq.jpg

Vitamin D is needed for the calcium to be absorbed in our bodies. Here are some sources of Vitamin D
    ry6e54vmi8x8.jpg

Note: orange juice only has that much calcium if it is fortified with it (it isn't hard to find fortified juice, just wanted to note that not all orange juice is going to have that much calcium).
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you aren't getting the amount of calcium you desire from food and you're happy with the way you're eating, a calcium and vitamin D supplement can help you reach your calcium goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    keanndreg wrote: »
    Good morning eveyone! I just started this app on October 1st and it is working great. No headaches or light-headedness as I am making sure I eat the foods that supply what ever nutrients I need for the day. My only issue I have noticed is calcium! I can't manage to incorporate over 50% and i know it's important for my bones and teeth mainly. Does anyone know of foods high in calcium but low in sugar and fat? I already drink 1% fat milk 4oz per day and 1oz of block cheese....yogurt when I can but it has so much sugar I can't do it every day. Please help with suggestions.

You should keep in mind that many of the entries do not have the vitamins and minerals filled out correctly, so it's quite possible you are getting adequate calcium.

Also, unless you have a medical condition, fat and sugar don't need to be feared. If anything, I would concentrate on getting adequate protein, which is around .6g to .8g per lb or weight.
  • keanndreg
    Options
    Thank you all!! I am happy to get the suggestions and support. I am trying to keep a healthy lifestyle and when it seems your alone it gets tough so I really appreciate the responses! Didn't know calcium has to have vitamin d to be absorbed awesome information. I did notice some of the entries lack information so hopefully your right and I am getting what I need. Supplement is the last resort but a homemade smoothie might do the trick!