Black Coffee

Options
For those who say they drink there coffee black. Please help. What kind of coffee do you buy. I need to cut the junk in my coffee but I tried the coffee black and it was beyond horrible. What kind of coffee do you use. I need to try a different brand other than Folgers and Maxwell.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Folgers and Maxwell House are terrible. I use the Sumatra blend from Sprout's. It comes whole bean so you have to grind it yourself, but it is much fresher and has so much more flavor than any of the mass-market brands.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like dark roast and I grind my beans just before I use them. But I also use a sugar free creamer and splenda in my coffee. I tried black coffee for awhile but I missed it a little sweet and creamy.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I slowly weaned myself off of sugar and cream. I got a brand I enjoyed and put less and less cream and sweetener in mine until I was okay with black. I still love cream and sugar, but I can enjoy black. Try local coffee shops in your area for beans or grounds. If you're wanting to dive head first into black coffee, I would suggest using a French press. It's by far the best black coffee I've ever tried, and it's fresh.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Try different kinds. I buy beans from a local coffee place, Intelligentsia, sometimes from various other sources too.

I agree that weaning yourself away from the additions more gradually will likely help. That's what I did with milk, when I decided to switch to black (ages ago, because it was just easier, not diet related). Then again, nothing wrong with some milk or even a bit of sugar in coffee (except that I personally have always hated sweetened coffee, as that's just contrary to what it should taste like, to me).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Try different kinds. I buy beans from a local coffee place, Intelligentsia, sometimes from various other sources too.

I agree that weaning yourself away from the additions more gradually will likely help. That's what I did with milk, when I decided to switch to black (ages ago, because it was just easier, not diet related). Then again, nothing wrong with some milk or even a bit of sugar in coffee (except that I personally have always hated sweetened coffee, as that's just contrary to what it should taste like, to me).

Intelligentsia is really good coffee.
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you are used to put ton of stuff in your coffee, start by putting just half a ton, then a quarter and so on.

Going cold turkey on black coffee might not be the best way. I think black coffee is an acquired taste.

Try avoid instant coffee, they are horrible.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is definitely an acquired taste. There's nothing wrong or unhealthy with adding a little cinnamon if that makes it easier for you. I have read that a dash of salt keeps you from tasting the bitterness as much. I've never tried that though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like a good Colombian medium roast. I buy whole bean...mostly we buy from a couple of different local places and we grind our beans every morning...this will provide for the freshest taste. I don't like most commercially mass produced brands...like yeah, there's no way I could drink Maxwell House black.

The roast will also make a difference...I prefer a medium roast while my wife prefers a dark roast...I usually have to have a little milk if I'm having dark roast just to cut it as it is more bitter than a medium roast.

Also, if you're used to just putting a bunch of junk in your coffee, you might want to start by just cutting back a bit. Even with good quality coffee, I used to use a splash of milk or 1/2 and 1/2 (never really been a sugar in my coffee guy)...I started drinking black coffee while on an extended camping trip and had forgotten the milk.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone recommending whole beans from coffee roasters. Flavored coffee beans will probably help a lot. I just want to add that you may be able to change your preference for sugar/cream. I was able to, and I was a 6 packets of sugar + tablespoon (or more) of cream kind of coffee drinker before. Now I drink it black 95% of the time, and just do the sugar/cream thing when I'm looking specifically for a sweeter taste (often to help me refrain from other higher calorie sugary treats.)
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I experiment : Eight O'clock Bean, Duncan Donuts, Cameron's Giavalia (which I really like) and I grind my own.

I just bought some Krispy Kreme "Rich" so..we'll see how that is.

Hills Brothers Columbian (grind your own is actually pretty good)

I am one of those fortunate people..I can drink coffee with cream & sugar, just cream and black.

I now drink it black. I don't wish to use calories for cream in my coffee.

• allyssabebe
    allyssabebe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Peet's is great! Love their dark roast. I also add one sugar packet to cut the bitterness. After a few times I don't even miss the creamer!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar in my coffee but still lighten it with unsweetened soy milk. To my mind, Folger's and Maxwell house are impotable crimes against nature -- but that's just me. There are many different coffee beans and roasts and each person has different preferences. Here's my list of coffee druthers:

I like a dark roast, somewhere past a full-city (e.g. Vienna Roast) toward a French Roast. Italian goes too far. Bi-Lo Supermarket's house brand Southern Home has a variety called "Fog Cutter" that perfectly fits the bill.

To me, Eight O'Clock, Starbucks & MacDonald's burn their beans and are bitter. Gevalia doesn't roast their beans enough -- but I'd rather drink burned coffee than a medium roast, so that's just me.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I would just try some different ones until you find one you like. Honestly, if you don't enjoy the taste of black coffee just choose something else that has caffeine. Maybe tea?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Keep trying different varieties and you'll latch onto something you like. Are you into light/dark, sweet/bitter? Honestly I like them all now and just enjoy trying different roasts and blends.

Recently subscribed to Black Rifle coffee and get a random assortment each month. It's a veteran owned and run company with some great blends.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    black coffee for PWO I kind of get why one would do that, but other than that I will add creamer and sugar to my morning cups to jump start my day. I drink dark roast coffees, but I read the blonde roasts are actually more caffeine so if the goal is PWO and caffeine go with a blonde roast.
  • philsimon1980
    philsimon1980 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a bean grinder and the quality will go up. There's a couple bean shops here in omaha that have great stuff.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If your grocery store has the bulk coffee bins and the in-store grinders, you can get yourself a few small bags of different blends and flavours to try.

I would also recommend just slowly cutting down the cream and sugar so your taste can adapt. I slowly got myself down from a load of cream and sugar to just one packet of Splenda per cup, and I'm good with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Peet's is great! Love their dark roast. I also add one sugar packet to cut the bitterness. After a few times I don't even miss the creamer!

Pete's is definitely one of my favorites one can get commercially in the supermarket...8 o'clock is pretty good too...and Seattle's Best