How to eat healthy with depression.

Options
Hey everyone! I am currently struggling with depression, anxiety, and panic disorder which makes it very difficult to get out of bed in the morning, let alone trying to cook healthy meals. Are there any tips and tricks you use to help you stay on the healthy eating path during times like this?

Replies

• being_camille
    being_camille Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do u live near a park? I have recently moved to an area w trails in the woods. A morning walk or run helps me tremendously with depression!! Sometimes I have to make myself but once I'm out of the house I feel so much better. Then my body is happy when I get back so I am motivated to feed it something healthy and yummy!
  • SarahSchirduan
    SarahSchirduan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do, but I leave for work at 6:30am. Not the safest time for a walk!
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    First off, realize you are not alone! That is one of the many reasons I love MFP because the friends I have made are so real, always supportive and will never let me down! Secondly, if you are not up for making healthy meals how about just start with simple easy changes like always drink water, have fresh fruit readily available, carrots/ celery in fridge? Third, no matter how hard it is, get up and get out in the sunshine, even for 10 minutes! It can help boost your mood and help with the depression! Once you get up out of that bed, close the door and don't look in there until it is time to go to bed tonight!

Good luck to you today! I know you can do it! Let the sun shine in!
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression for most of my adult life, sometimes more severely than others. I find that I'm in a better spot mentally when I am eating healthy. But there are times when that is a lot of work and just not feasible. When I'm feeling like that I try to preplan what I'm eating. If I have a better day, I may try to make spaghetti sauce and squash or even throw a turkey breast in the oven for a few hours so I have a healthy option available. Cooking in bulk has saved me more than once. But on the bad days, I just try not to shame myself more - I just try to stay within my calories, even if that means I ate 35 mini reeses peanut butter cups.

@escalada22 is right! Going outside is wonderful! If even it's just during your lunch, or even if you don't exercise. Sometimes I just go outside and read.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. Medicated for years, currently managing it without meds. Exercise and social interaction, the 2 things I tend to hide from the most when I am depressed, are the 2 exact things that make me feel better.

I would probably put exercise as the more important one for me. Move your body. Shoot for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. Make the time to do this. You can get up and walk during breaks at work. Climb stairs. Go outside if you can. Do it even when you don't feel like it. Devote some precious time to taking care of YOU. Your body was designed to move, and it is happiest when it does so.

One thing that helps me regarding food is to use good days to my advantage. When I do cook, I almost always cook larger batches of things so I have them on hand to grab for lunches or have leftovers or to freeze. Find a good source of interesting recipes you might like and try one... Skinnytaste.com, cookinglight.com, even the MFP Blog. Next week make another one. Make small changes to your usual routine so you are not overwhelmed by feeling that you have to do everything at once. Otherwise, have lots of greek yogurt stashed in your fridge. Hard boiled eggs. Salad greens, cooked chicken, and a can of black beans will always turn a salad into a nice meal, and it is easy. When you feel adventurous, check out freezer cooking. Crock pot meals are a lifesaver. You can even prep an entire week's worth of meals on weekends. Best to you!

• SarahSchirduan
    SarahSchirduan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So glad I posted this. These are some great ideas. ❤
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression, too. Personally, it really helps to find a physical activity that's fun, or friends that are willing to exercise with me. I always stick to my exercising better when I have plans to hit the gym with a friend. And the endorphins that exercise releases can help a bit, depending on how severe the depression is. If you ever feel the need to chat, feel free to message me! ^^