Healthiest milk?

Options
I've always drank 2% because that's what my parents bought and once I moved out I just continued to purchase the same thing but now that I'm "dieting" I would like to know what's considered the healthiest milk. Skim? Non-fat? 1%? Etc.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Whichever one of the choices fits into you calorie budget for the day. The term healthy applies to the entire selection of food that you eat thru the course of the day/week and not really to a particular item within the food choices.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The milk that you enjoy to drink. If you like 2% then drink it. Doesn't it only have 130 calories?

You can eat and drink what you like just as long as you're counting calories. Calories are king for weight loss.
  • EcmoMom22
    EcmoMom22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me rephrase that question then because that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.

Which milk choice is lowest in fat, calories, carbs etc. etc.?
  • EcmoMom22
    Options
    The milk that you enjoy to drink. If you like 2% then drink it. Doesn't it only have 130 calories?

You can eat and drink what you like just as long as you're counting calories. Calories are king for weight loss.

I don't enjoy milk at all but I'm making myself start drinking it or at least using it with my shakes everyday.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I would recommend 1% for dieting and health perspective. Less saturated fat is always better. You probably want to reduce the fat in your diet, and its really easy to reach daily max (9 cal's per gram).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    EcmoMom22 wrote: »
    Okay, let me rephrase that question then because that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.

You should be able to find database entries for all types of milks in the MFP database so you can compare. Typically removing the fat from milk removes some of the calories.

If you don't enjoy milk at all though, don't assume you have to drink it. There are other ways to meet whatever nutritional need it's meeting for you and you may enjoy some of those more. It's worth considering. Life is too short to eat stuff you hate.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A smaller amount of anything will give less of everything. No foods should be seen as healthy or unhealthy in isolation. There are more or less healthy (or healthful) diets, but what those are, depends on the person who's eating.

Personally, i switched to full fat (3.9%) milk when I started my weight loss "journey", and I'm still using that.
  • EcmoMom22
    Options

You should be able to find database entries for all types of milks in the MFP database so you can compare. Typically removing the fat from milk removes some of the calories.

If you don't enjoy milk at all though, don't assume you have to drink it. There are other ways to meet whatever nutritional need it's meeting for you and you may enjoy some of those more. It's worth considering. Life is too short to eat stuff you hate.

I need to use it to mix with my shakes, it's either milk or water and milk gives it just a tad better flavor than water but I wanted the least amount of anything nutritional wise. I'll look it up in the database if I have time and can figure it out.

I'm brand new here so I figured it'd be faster and easier to just ask here on the forum, I thought somebody would give me a direct answer.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I like the Hood Simply Smart skim. It tastes better then others that I have tried.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1% will be lower fat and lower calorie than 2%. Skim is fat free. Carbs will be about the same, perhaps 0.5g more per serving in skim milk. Keep in mind you do need fat in your diet and should be aiming to hit your fat goal every day.

There are other options for your shakes - nut milk, soy milk, juice... I even make a shake with diet root beer from time to time (stirred, not shaken!). I like how milk tastes and want the protein, but if you don't enjoy milk, it might be worth pursuing other options.

ETA: I'm not usually much for organic, but the organic milk I buy tastes way better than the non-organic kind, IMO.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of raw whole milk, but it can have a lot of fat. You won't find anything better for protein, healthy enzymes, and taste though!

If you're just using it for shakes and are obsessed with calories, just use water and choke it down.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk
  • EcmoMom22
    Options

I need to use it to mix with my shakes, it's either milk or water and milk gives it just a tad better flavor than water but I wanted the least amount of anything nutritional wise. I'll look it up in the database if I have time and can figure it out.

I'm brand new here so I figured it'd be faster and easier to just ask here on the forum, I thought somebody would give me a direct answer.

Nobody is trying to be *indirect* with you. It's just that there isn't an answer to the question of which milk is the healthiest, not in the way that you mean. It all depends on the rest of your diet and what your needs are. If you're looking for something that is the lowest in calories and gives a bit of flavor to your shakes, have you considered plant milk? Some of the almond milks are very low in calories (the one I use for my smoothies has about 40 calories per cup). If you're just looking on the calorie side, it's something else to consider.

I haven't ever tried anything but cows milk but quite a few people mentioned almond milk so I think I'll try that!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Nobody is trying to be *indirect* with you. It's just that there isn't an answer to the question of which milk is the healthiest, not in the way that you mean. It all depends on the rest of your diet and what your needs are. If you're looking for something that is the lowest in calories and gives a bit of flavor to your shakes, have you considered plant milk? Some of the almond milks are very low in calories (the one I use for my smoothies has about 40 calories per cup). If you're just looking on the calorie side, it's something else to consider.

I haven't ever tried anything but cows milk but quite a few people mentioned almond milk so I think I'll try that!

I love it -- if you're in the US, I like the Califia Farms brand. They have a few lower calorie options and I really enjoy the taste.