Weight Loss and Sleep Apnea

Options
I have sleep apnea and one of my main goals with loss is to be able to get rid of my CPAP. I'm wondering how much weight loss is needed to accomplish this. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been able to do this.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    First you need to know that it's directly tied to your weight. I got mine after years of suspecting I needed one, and AFTER dropping 22 pounds to get to a healthy weight. I think mine is in my future forever...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    First you need to know that it's directly tied to your weight. I got mine after years of suspecting I needed one, and AFTER dropping 22 pounds to get to a healthy weight. I think mine is in my future forever...

^This and
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You might or might not need the CPAP after losing your weight. I know many skinny people who have to use them. :/

^This

It can be hereditary.

but...................I lost a lot of weight (1/2 of my current body weight) and I no longer snore, but did not have sleep apnea or need a CPAP.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I had sleep apnea or not, but I did snore like crazy, enough to wake myself up if I tried to sleep on my back. After I lost the first 30-40 lbs. or so, that went away. I can also report scads of other intractable medical problems that vanished like mist. So I don't know if you're going to be able to get rid of your CPAP, but I can just about promise you some fantastic benefits of all kinds. Give it a try! You can hardly fail to better your position in some way, and maybe you'll get lucky on the CPAP, too.