Tips to build muscle in arms.

Can anyone help me build tone arms. Help

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Eat at a caloric surplus (slightly higher than maintenance) or just at maintenance (hard to do) and then lift heavy (ie low rep high weight multiple sets), Dumbell or barbell curls, dumbell hammer curls and supinated curls for biceps. Dumbell kickbacks, Dumbell tricep extensions and tricep dips for triceps. Might want to do some shoulder work as well with either a military press or some sort of side-raise or shrug. Do something like 5 sets for each musclegroup with reps in the range of 5-8 to exhaustion.

If you don't want to build muscle you just want strength gains and some firmness then you can do that without the caloric surplus but you won't actually build muscle that way.

I agree with most of this however personally I have seen better results from utilizing high rep/pump style training for arms. Although over the years I have used a mix of methods including heavy weights/low reps.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Eat at a caloric surplus (slightly higher than maintenance) or just at maintenance (hard to do) and then lift heavy (ie low rep high weight multiple sets), Dumbell or barbell curls, dumbell hammer curls and supinated curls for biceps. Dumbell kickbacks, Dumbell tricep extensions and tricep dips for triceps. Might want to do some shoulder work as well with either a military press or some sort of side-raise or shrug. Do something like 5 sets for each musclegroup with reps in the range of 5-8 to exhaustion.

If you don't want to build muscle you just want strength gains and some firmness then you can do that without the caloric surplus but you won't actually build muscle that way.

I agree with most of this however personally I have seen better results from utilizing high rep/pump style training for arms. Although over the years I have used a mix of methods including heavy weights/low reps.

Yeah thats fair, I think for progression its important to mix it up now and again and not just do the same thing month after month after month. Find that discomfort and work on it. Do some low rep high weight for a bit, then do higher rep lower weight and work on endurance then change up the exercises etc etc. Bottom line though I've trained muscles to maintain them not to build them, you look considerably more muscular than I do so in terms of experience building muscle I'd have to bow to your experience there.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Yeah thats fair, I think for progression its important to mix it up now and again and not just do the same thing month after month after month. Find that discomfort and work on it. Do some low rep high weight for a bit, then do higher rep lower weight and work on endurance then change up the exercises etc etc. Bottom line though I've trained muscles to maintain them not to build them, you look considerably more muscular than I do so in terms of experience building muscle I'd have to bow to your experience there.

Couldn't agree more about progression. Thanks for the compliment there as well!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    In addition to previous comments, I find upright rows and lateral raises built my delts up quite nicely.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Personally, I would work all of your upper body. This way you are hitting multiple muscle groups, especially focusing on compound moves which will provide you with the greatest strength gains and help burn more calories.
  • lancelyell
    lancelyell Posts: 60 Member
    Resistance training and nutrition. Nutrition depends on where your body fat currently is. If your body fat is high focus on reducing fat first. Simply losing body fat really makes your muscles look bigger. You cannot spot reduce fat though. So if fat loss is your goal, focus on being on a caloric deficit while resistance training. Then focus on building muscle mass once you get to within 2% of your desired body fat. Your results will be much quicker.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Swimming really tones my arms. Strength training and press ups/pull ups would also help.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    santandr77 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me build tone arms. Help

Need some clarification. Do you want larger arm muscles.. or are you happy with their size and simply want to reduce the fat or loose skin covering the muscles?
    Let's assume those are the only 2 options. :+1:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Pink weights
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Pink weights

hah yeah, make sure the weights or pink otherwise you will get bulky which is unattractive somehow.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Pink weights

hah yeah, make sure the weights or pink otherwise you will get bulky which is unattractive somehow.

Purple is borderline but ok
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Yoga arms are really a thing! I love lifting, but have noticed more arm/shoulder definition since I started doing Ashtanga yoga a few times a week as well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Pink weights

:laugh:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    You could try kayaking, canoeing and/or rowing.