Jealous colleagues ..?

Options
Ok, so ive been eating the vegetarian option at work because its a lot healthier than the meat option, and all my colleagues have been asking why? I told them im heating healthy to lose weight and feel confident...As soon as i said this all the women started saying 'WHAT?' 'don't be stupid' 'Your husband will leave you, he wont want a skinny lady"

And bare in mind these ladies at work DON'T know my husband and they are very large women themselves, so i feel very annoyed with them that they are putting me down when im trying to better my life. My husband loves my figure and he's doing the whole MFP thing with me to lose weight himself. I don't want to be a stick, but I want to get my body fat % low enough to have a six pack on show.

I just feel embarrassed every time I eat an apple or eat a healthy meal because they all stare and shake their heads and tell me my husband will leave me because I will have a thinner body (i only want to lose 7KG!!)

Anyone else have this?

Replies

• califigureeight
    Options
    Ignore them! Misery loves company :(
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Why would you feel embarassed for doing the right thing?

Would you feel embarassed if they smoked and you didn't? If they jumped of a cliff and you didn't?

They are killing themselves slowly and you're gaining more and more years of a healthy and happy life... don't let it bother you. Just laugh it out and shake it off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    they sound fat, miserable and jealous... ignore them!
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ahahah seriously? .. damn i didn't know people that sad existed.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Ignore them! Misery loves company :(
    And I would like to add me and wife are going through this, we been trying to eat organic now and for me I'm trying to eat vegetarian. So yeah there a lot of haters out there, I brush them off cause I know I'm doing right by my wife and kids
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ignore them! you know your husband, they don't! plus you said your hubby is doinf MFP with you, thats great support, for both of you! stay positive and it has nothing to do with them, they are just jealous because they can't lose the weight!

:-) :flowerforyou:
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    When I am thin it seems that overweight people in my real life give me a hard time about my weight. I think it might be jealousy too, I don't understand what other motivation there would be to give a thin healthy person a hard time about their weight.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I see you are living in South Africa - I am an ex-saffa living in New Zealand.

I can just hear these ladies telling you that - culturaly there are people in South Africa that are very proud of being a bigger woman - and some of them seriously believe that the men like them better for being a bigger woman - even I grew up with people telling me that I have good "child bearing hips"......

I suggest you don't take it too seriously and make a joke of it when they tease you - they most probably just find it funny that a "smaller person" still wants to lose weight.....
  • AndraSales
    AndraSales Posts: 24
    Options
    One thing that gets me is that no one seems to think it is a problem to comment on the slimmer of us....."oh you're too thin", "you don't need to lose weight", "you need to eat more", "why aren't you having that packet of crips/McDonalds etc". However if we said "ooooh you're too fat", "you're killing yourself", "you need to lose weight" or made any comment about a fat person we would be shot down in flames! I get annoyed with people that feel it is ok to comment when you're slimmer and want to stay that way!!

Ignore the haters, you're doing the right think and you will most certainly live longer than they will. People just get jealous when they can see you're doing something they would never have the guts or willpower to do!

Grrr, people like this make me mad. They are trying to knock your confidence and put you down to make themselves feel better. Ignore them for the idiots they are!
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What rude ignorant people. I'd just say that you want to eat healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle that that's important to you and if anyone has a problem then shove it. Play the healthy card more than the weight... they can't say you're husband will leave you for being fit and healthy..
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options

I can just hear these ladies telling you that - culturaly there are people in South Africa that are very proud of being a bigger woman - and some of them seriously believe that the men like them better for being a bigger woman - even I grew up with people telling me that I have good "child bearing hips"......

I suggest you don't take it too seriously and make a joke of it when they tease you - they most probably just find it funny that a "smaller person" still wants to lose weight.....

You are so right! it is the african ladies who say this to me, its fine if their cultures likes larger ladies, but me and my husband want to be healthy and we dont follow the same culture so it gets me upset and annoyed really that because im trying to lose weight I am going against THEIR culture.
  • minburke
    Options
    One thing that gets me is that no one seems to think it is a problem to comment on the slimmer of us....."oh you're too thin", "you don't need to lose weight", "you need to eat more", "why aren't you having that packet of crips/McDonalds etc". However if we said "ooooh you're too fat", "you're killing yourself", "you need to lose weight" or made any comment about a fat person we would be shot down in flames! I get annoyed with people that feel it is ok to comment when you're slimmer and want to stay that way!!

Ignore the haters, you're doing the right think and you will most certainly live longer than they will. People just get jealous when they can see you're doing something they would never have the guts or willpower to do!

Grrr, people like this make me mad. They are trying to knock your confidence and put you down to make themselves feel better. Ignore them for the idiots they are!

OMG So true! Not that anyone's ever made those comments to me but if they did I would so rebut with a comment like that..
  • jesshall281
    Options
    Why would you feel embarassed for doing the right thing?

Would you feel embarassed if they smoked and you didn't? If they jumped of a cliff and you didn't?

They are killing themselves slowly and you're gaining more and more years of a healthy and happy life... don't let it bother you. Just laugh it out and shake it off.

i completely agree with what your saying, but the embarrassment is more from having 5-6 large ladies staring at you eating a salad while they stuff their face with burgers. just wanted to clarify..
  • minburke
    Options

You are so right! it is the african ladies who say this to me, its fine if their cultures likes larger ladies, but me and my husband want to be healthy and we dont follow the same culture so it gets me upset and annoyed really that because im trying to lose weight I am going against THEIR culture.

Why don't you just point out the cultural difference.. if they can bring it up so can you. Just say actually my husband and I are both trying to get healthy and fit.. We both think it's important.
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    Cultures all over the world are different. Even here in Afghanistan. When I came here, they see my picture on my ID and say "Wow... you were fat in that picture, what happened?" I'm not sure if they're complimenting me, or not. However, it seems that they find people who weigh more to have more money, and therefore it's sort of a good thing in some people's eyes. One of the cadets I work with called one of the women we work with "big." She got really upset and mad at him, but he tried to explain that he meant healthy and strong... Either way, different cultures see things differently. If you're happy that you're doing it, and you've the support of your husband, than who are they to judge. :) Keep positive. And good luck working on your goal.
  • jesshall281
    Options

Why don't you just point out the cultural difference.. if they can bring it up so can you. Just say actually my husband and I are both trying to get healthy and fit.. We both think it's important.

Maybe I should...but then i'll get branded a racist, south africa is a very difficult country to live in, im from the UK and moved here about 8 months ago so the culture change is a big shock. I just have learn to proudly eat my vegetable lasagne and ignore them....maybe I need to grow a back bone! haa!
  • Takotorau
    Takotorau Posts: 28
    Options
    OH BOY!! If I lost a pound every time one of the "ladies" at work gave me the stink eye or made a sly remark about my food choices I wouldn't weigh a single gram!!

Honestly it was so bad that I used to make excuses for myself like " oh I had a big breakfast" or "I'm just not that hungry" & sometimes I'd even hide my food so I wouldn't have to suffer the torment.

Thankfully I was able to grow a super thick skin & now all that stuff just bounce right off. I'm basically at the point where I don't care what they think, feel or say about what I eat. It's really liberating.

Good luck with this one.
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    African ladies - also do nt mean to say rude things but it comes across that way = believe me

Our maid always used to comment on my hips and my fat saying I would get a husband and have children easily....she was not trying to put me down or be rude - just a massive cultural difference :)

Lekker dag :)

also being veggie is south africa...not popular..I could never...like a true saffa I love meat far too much!