Standing?

Options
Erm.....a colleague that I introduced to MFP (we only work together on a Saturday) asked me the following question.

She has set her daily activity level at the lowest setting (Sedentary or whatever the lowest is) Yet on a Saturday, she works, and is standing up from 9am-7pm (but for a half an hour lunch break)

She was wondering, should she log this, and if so, how?! We work in a shop on a saturday, and during the week, she works at a desk, and so is sedentary most of the week.

What do you think?

Replies

• rintinjen
    rintinjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I often refer to www.livestrong.com website & use their fitness tracker to find out calories burned. It has just about every category under the sun, including various forms of "standing". According to their site, Assembly Work - fast, standing = 251 calories/hour burned. Best wishes!
  • daverno
    daverno Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tend to only log exercise for physical effort that I would not normally do on a daily/ weekly basis.

The idea of eating back calories consumed by standing up for 8 hours is bizarre. IMO don't log it.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Logging variable activities like standing on a weekend, housework, or gardening is a personal choice. Does it all burn calories - yes; does it contribute to your overall health - probably; BUT like you I am a sedentary nightshift worker during most of the week, but work as a massage therapist 2 days a week. I won't get healthy or loose weight without adding a consistent exercise regime and diet to my lifestyle. Thus, I don't log those calories because they've not made any significant improvement in my overall weight before I started exercise and dieting.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it, but just consider it a bonus.

Also, during the week I would be desk-bound as well (so sedentary setting) while in the weekend I naturally would move about a lot more (two toddlers in the house, need I say more). And unless it's actual exercise, I would not log this either.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk all week long sitting in front of a computer. So I have my setting at Sedentary. Then every so often I do Security Guard work at sporting events. I am standing for 4-6 hours depending on the event and I know this does a number of my legs, lower back, and feet. They'll be killing me after. I usually have to stretch after to get rid of the stiffness. I would say since this is not a regular part of my daily routine the calories burned are worth logging.