afterwork hungry

Options
i work 12 hr days.. after a long day ive got a bad habit of coming home to eat.. little ice cream.. or something salty.. i try to eat@work@like 5pm b4 i come home soo i dont eat when i get home.. but still am wanting to binge.. any more suggestions? I use to walk when i got home but its dark now. &i dont wanna fall

Replies

• alias1602
    alias1602 Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eating a big breakfast helped me with this so much I still can't believe it. That and getting enough sleep.

You won't notice a change right away but after a few weeks it should have made a big difference.
  • avotarian
    avotarian Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Unlike the poster above, NOT eating breakfast has helped me so much! I think that goes to show that different things work for different people. Experiment until you find what works best for you. :)

Also, it sounds like eating after work is more habit vs. hunger. Maybe try changing up your after work routine (stay busy; run errands, stay out of the house) until you break the habit.

Good luck!!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    OP, your story has been mine. My workdays were way longer than normal, and I would come home physically and mentally exhausted, and just wanted to get off my feet, eat, and relax. Cooking got pushed aside in favor of grab and eat or microwave food. Junk food was easy. And fast food even better. After I became determined to lose weight I made myself a big note in my kitchen area that said "Your choices are the only thing standing between you and success". It stared back at me every time I wanted to eat something I didn't need, beyond my calories/macros. I have restocked my kitchen with healthy grab and eat food like cut vegetables, nuts, flavored waters, and make other things like boiled eggs and mini-egg frittatas in muffin tins that can be frozen and microwaved later. Salty chips are my weakness, but I have gotten the lowest salt/fat varieties I can find and use lowfat cheese or dip. And try my hardest to not go for that second helping. Good luck, you can do this! Every successful day strengthens you to carry on.
  • athlete03
    athlete03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Change up your meal schedule. It's kind of hard to help because we don't know your schedule (when you wake up, when you go to/leave work, when/if you workout, when you go to sleep). My best advice and what works for me is have three meals, breakfast being the largest, with a small snack inbetween preferably lunch and dinner, while also leaving your last meal around 2-3 hours before you go to bed. Having a later dinner will decrease late night binging and allow you to go to sleep satisfied. If you're eating all your food early and not going to sleep until 9-10pm+, then of course you are going to be hungry later at night and want to binge.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your food for the day and ensure that you include a snack for when you get home?

MrsStealthHealth has a mini meal at about 5pm but her main meal later, with me. So she plans her PM snack and builds it into her day.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Much of it is staying goal oriented with your eating. Are you eating because you need it, or because you want it. Are you following diet goals, or are you finding reasons not to?

It's normal to be hungry after working all day. Often stress can play a big role in that.

The best option is sub in healthy snacks. Popcorn is great for a salty twang. Minimal butter.

Sweet, you can have small amounts of whatever you want. If you've followed your goals eat a bite of candy, or a little controlled ice cream.

Just remember to not let your stomach tell your mind who's boss. Make a decisive choice whether you need to snack.

If all else, drink a big glass of water. It helps curb hunger and is good for you to do anyway. Especially at night.

Eating breakfast is always better than not. Our bodies are programed to want those calories early. Not right before sleeping.

If you can't eat heavy breakfast, eat lots of small snacks meals throughout the morning. That will help with cravings and appetite issues at night as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    i work 12 hr days.. after a long day ive got a bad habit of coming home to eat.. little ice cream.. or something salty.. i try to eat@work@like 5pm b4 i come home soo i dont eat when i get home.. but still am wanting to binge.. any more suggestions? I use to walk when i got home but its dark now. &i dont wanna fall

Walking after work. You might try "walking" videos. Walking outdoors is great, but I won't do that in snow & ice, so I Leslie Sansone DVDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q5e1pV4pc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just pre-plan something nice that I'm going to enjoy for after work...it's planned for and thus everything is ok...and I have something to look forward to.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thanks every1for all your ideas or suggestions! :) i will give them a try.. i really like this walking video.. where do i find it at? thanks.. ya sometimes i think its habit lets feed my face cuz no1s here.. i use to walk after work outside but now its gettin dark when i get home.. i jus havent had any ump to walk or bike or elliptical.. i use to work out.. i had ainjury soo made it hard to excerise.. but seems like ppl i walk with all walk faster than me.. i can't keep up.. but i need to find something to keep me more motivated.. im glad to come to this for ppls advice! thanks All!! :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You could save some calories up for your evening snack.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    thats a great idea too :)
  • bgishn
    bgishn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. Except I work normal hours. I usually use all but 200-300 calories by the time I get home from work. Still struggling with how to deal with it. Today I ate some frozen peaches, carrots and a piece of toast and chugged water and told myself I could have something else in an hour if I reeaallly felt like I needed it. And I didn't. Worked for today...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    beewaash wrote: »
    I have the same exact problem. Except I work normal hours. I usually use all but 200-300 calories by the time I get home from work. Still struggling with how to deal with it. Today I ate some frozen peaches, carrots and a piece of toast and chugged water and told myself I could have something else in an hour if I reeaallly felt like I needed it. And I didn't. Worked for today...

200 to 300 calories is enough for a pretty decent snack, especially if you keep it high fiber like you did today :)
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    ok thanks :)
  • JLPersall
    JLPersall Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sometimes hot cup of tea, coffee or diet cocoa can help me relax wout chowing. Apples also tend to help me avoid a feeding frenzy.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    I'll have to try that JLPersall.. thanks :)