Vitamins, iron, and potassium?

Options
I only started like a week ago, I never realized until I used this app that I don't get enough vitamin A, C, iron, or potassium. What are some good that are a good source for these vitamins and minerals?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Mainly fruits and vegetables.

Iron is another beast entirely which takes careful consideration. If you want more information about iron, just ask and i can PM you. There is far too much information to type out in one post.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take the alive vitamin gummies, but I do know that orange juice, or even eating an orange will give you vitamin c. Eating a banana will
    give you potassium.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dude, fruits and vegetables. Google the ones highest in the vitamins you want. Just a little research. Everyone wants the answered handed to them.l on a plate. *Sorry to sound like I'm in my feelings but the forums are filled with questions like this. Just remember, Google has the answers for the most part.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Red_Pill wrote: »
    Dude, fruits and vegetables. Google the ones highest in the vitamins you want. Just a little research. Everyone wants the answered handed to them.l on a plate. *Sorry to sound like I'm in my feelings but the forums are filled with questions like this. Just remember, Google has the answers for the most part.

This is something I've wondered about too. Unless there is something specific to an individual experience/condition or if there is still information needed that Google does not have or information found is old, there is little reason to keep asking basic and frequently asked questions. Furthermore, searching for answers from Google is much faster than waiting for responses. The time taken to type up a post would be better spent doing a quick search on Google, or to narrow down search results even more, a quick search on MFP would do.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Be careful about relying on MFP for this information. The vast majority of food entries are entered by users and because many, many food labels do not have that information on them (or the user entering it doesn't bother typing it in), a huge number of foods which do contain vitamins, iron on potassium will have a recorded value of 0 in the database.

Seriously, MFP is basically useless for tracking those micros unless you are adding each entry yourself and independently verifying it.

And please ignore the brand new posters trying to sell you stuff.
  • KittyCloud1
    KittyCloud1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Be careful about relying on MFP for this information. The vast majority of food entries are entered by users and because many, many food labels do not have that information on them (or the user entering it doesn't bother typing it in), a huge number of foods which do contain vitamins, iron on potassium will have a recorded value of 0 in the database.

Seriously, MFP is basically useless for tracking those micros unless you are adding each entry yourself and independently verifying it.

And please ignore the brand new posters trying to sell you stuff.

Okay thank you. I do try to keep somewhat of a trace on the nutrition facts on my own to see the vitamin stuff that this app doesn't show. And I didn't know as I only just started this app
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Careful taking added vitamins. I take a multivitamin and I also take a magnesium and zinc tablet daily along with it because I drink so much water and exercise a lot. Potassium will always show low for one very important reason.. it's not required for it to be listed by the FDA. Best sources of potassium are potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, leafy green veggies, etc. but unless someone takes the time to look up the info and put it in the database it will show 0 potassium on many things (which in turn makes MFP graphs show you low on potassium). It's annoying. I try to eat a potato or a sweet potato at dinner with just about every meal if I can, and I always eat at least a half a banana in the mornings with my cereal to help increase potassium, but most people are in fact deficient in it. If you try to buy some vitamins like potassium it's hard to get enough because they are limited to how much they can put in a pill for safety reasons. You may need a lot each day but you're already getting it from food and don't even know it (because it's not listed). So potassium vitamins are limited to 99mg each. If you overdose on it, you can die, so don't go out and take a hand-full you may regret it!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Potassium will always show low for one very important reason.. it's not required for it to be listed by the FDA.

FDA's new label does require it, but manufacturers probably won't comply until they have to, which will be in 2018.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Potassium will always show low for one very important reason.. it's not required for it to be listed by the FDA.

FDA's new label does require it, but manufacturers probably won't comply until they have to, which will be in 2018.

Nice! Thanks for the update!