Full time working mom... need help and easy recipes

Options
Hey guys,
Long story short, I lost 70 pounds a few years ago and was down to my lowest weight since middle school. After getting in a happy relationship, having a baby, etc, I've gotten within 20 pounds of my absolute highest I've ever been. None of my clothes fit, I can't wear my jeans anymore... I need help. I've got to get the weight back off.
That being said, I'm a full time working mom to a 5 month old. Anyone with kids (especially as young as mine is) knows that that alone is a full time job. I have not much time for working out, so I go to the gym on my hour lunch break. that doesn't give me much time for fat burning workouts. I do what I can. I am not great at meal prep.

Can anyone provide their tips/advice? What do you all do for meal prep? any full proof methods?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I plan and shop on Sundays. For crazy busy days my crock pot is my best friend (meat + veggies + broth or butter/water or soup can/water - the possibilities are endless)...I also take at least 1 day a week where we have something I consider less healthy (like pizza) so generally between the down day and crock pot days, I'm only really cooking 3-4 days a week and the rest are more quick meals.

I also do a lot of soups in the crock pot when it's cold out, there are a million simple and cheap recipes on google. Crock pot cooking is not gourmet, but it's quick and it can be healthy and it gets the job done.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Look for recipes you can make ahead and freeze and then either put in the crockpot in the morning or just pop in the oven when you get home. I haven't done it in awhile but I've taken a Sunday afternoon and prepped about 2 weeks worth of crockpot meals so that I have them on hand for the days I know that I will be too busy or worn out to cook when I get home in the evening.
  • jessieknh
    jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Planning is key. Work full time and my son plays travel sports so I have to batch cook. I always keep my freezer stocked with portioned out soups, chili and shredded chicken. I use the crock pot a lot because it's so easy. Look for things you can freeze or cook double batches when you can. Eat one for dinner/lunches and freeze one for a quick meal next time. skinnytaste has a lot of recipes for the crockpot that are low calorie.
  • jumpingborderterrier
    Options
    Crock pots, big batches of protein for left overs, frozen vegetable section at Trader Joe's.
  • christiburnam170
    christiburnam170 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the things above - they are good suggestions... crockpots, make a lot and freeze, shredded chicken breast, chilis and soups. I portion the extra out and freeze it so I can take it for lunch or eat at dinner time if I don't have time to prep dinner. Another good thing is having a couple of 'go to' easy prep meals for when you haven't had time to prepare. It keeps you from falling off the wagon. I eat nonfat greek yogurt with almonds and bananas or oatmeal with almonds and blueberries, black bean burgers on light toast with guacamole - super fast, filling and low calorie.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? If not I suggest look into getting one. You can find one that is programmable in the $40-80 range I imagine. Put pork loin + water + seasonings on in the morning. (Or a # of other things.) By having a programmable one, I can set to cook on high or low for X hours then it automatically switches to warm. The main course is ready when you walk in the door. Or the entire dish, depending on what you're making.