Broccoli?

Options
I am trying to like broccoli - I like it smothered in cheese sauce but I am trying to like it without all the fat. I have tried it boiled, steamed and raw and I am not a fan. I have some fresh broccoli in my fridge right now that I have to do something with before it goes bad. Any suggestions/recipes?

Replies

• tnorkus
    tnorkus Posts: 45
    Options
    Broccoli and cheese is awesome. too bad it is a fat and sodium bomb.
    If you dont like it you dont like it.
  • jody0912
    jody0912 Posts: 33
    Options
    i like to toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper and maybe red pepper flakes and roast it in the oven. it's still crunchy but tastes better :)
  • shellrae1973
    shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This will be my plan going forward but I HATE to waste the broccoli that is in my fridge :laugh:
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    well if you can't stand it plain but love it with cheese how about sprinkling a small amount of half fat grated cheese on it - it'll melt and add that extra cheesey taste to it without the cals of creamy cheese sauce
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli and my favorite way to cook it is to sautee is in a little butter in a skillet. Don't let it get too mushy, but don't like it super crunchy either. You can use lite butter and not as many calories.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    In a stir fry, add some soya sauce for extra taste.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i like to toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper and maybe red pepper flakes and roast it in the oven. it's still crunchy but tastes better :)

that sounds DELICIOUS!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    blend it up and make a soup :)
  • CarrieAnnN
    CarrieAnnN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try baking it with a little Olive Oil and salt and pepper. Also good with garlic and/or red bell peppers added.
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Send it to me! I'll eat it raw! :drinker:
    Try dunking it in hummus or guacamole! yum yum!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i suggest putting it under the broiler for 5 or so minutes and then putting i can't believe it's not butter spray or extra virgin olive oil, season salt, garlic powder, and a little cayenne pepper on it. also, adding the mccormick chicken seasonings (original and/or rotisserie) are good, too.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Put it in an omelette...
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
    green giant has broccoli with cheese sauce that's only 45 cals a serving. :)
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of broccoli, and there are some great suggestions below. My favorite way to enjoy it is by roasting it, because it gets a nutty flavor. Try roasting it at high temperature (around 400-450) with olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic salt. It will only take a few minutes to get nutty and tender. If you don't like garlic salt, leave that out and when the garlic is done, add orange zest or lemon zest, with a bit of the juice squeezed on top. Delicious.

My mom doesn't like broccoli and she makes a great bacon-broccoli salad, I've converted it to a lower-calorie recipe:

1 head raw broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
    1 lb. turkey bacon, cooked, drained, then chopped into chunks
    1/2 c. sunflower seeds
    1 red onion, chopped finely
    1/2 c. to 3/4 c. mayonnaise
    1-2 Tbs. sugar/splenda/stevia
    1 tsp. low-fat milk
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine the mayonnaise, sugar and milk until you get a cole-slaw like dressing. Put aside. Cook the bacon, using Pam or another light cooking spray. (I suggest cooking the turkey bacon slightly crunchy so that the dressing doesn't make it too chewy.) Meanwhile, chop the broccoli and add to a bowl separate from the dressing. Add the sunflower seeds. While the bacon is cooling, chop onion and add to the broccoli and seeds. After bacon has cooled, chop and add to the bowl. Add the dressing, toss, and allow to sit in fridge for at least an hour to let the flavors combine.
  • macmanus
    macmanus Posts: 1
    Options
    The best way to smoother the taste of anything is to add lots of other flavors. Make a soup with cabbage, okra, onion, mushrooms celery, green beans and chicken broth and all your fav spices. If you still can't stand it find other veggies.......no where does it say you have to eat broccoli.:drinker: :drinker: