soya or almond milk?

Options
TheSma11Print
TheSma11Print Posts: 165 Member
edited October 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I like to make my protein shake with pulsin whey protein powder http://www.pulsin.co.uk/whey-protein-isolate-1kg-193.html, lots of spinach and a touch of coco powder. I usually use almond milk as water is bland. Is there much difference between using soya or almond milk or even rice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Soy milk has more protein than almond milk, almond milk is often lower calorie (especially if you get an unsweetened version). I use both -- my choice will depend on whether or not I want to boost my protein or lower the calories in a specific smoothie/recipe.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's soy protein though, so take that protein number with a grain of salt. I'd go with the almond milk
  • rockymytdeb
    rockymytdeb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Vary it. Use all the different non dairy milks.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Soy milk. Almond is mostly water.
    Or drink water.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk as it brings out the best flavor in all my shakes but I recently stopped because I've heard it lowers testosterone. Which isn't so great on the male end. So I just occasionally buy almond now.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    slacker80 wrote: »
    I love soy milk as it brings out the best flavor in all my shakes but I recently stopped because I've heard it lowers testosterone. Which isn't so great on the male end. So I just occasionally buy almond now.

Yeah, it's hard to believe there are 1.4 billion people in China, what with all the tofu and other soy products being consumed there. You'd think they'd have died out long ago with all the men suffering from lowered fertility...

Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis
    http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)00966-2/abstract
  • jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I chose almond milk mostly because I noticed, as a female, that too much soy in my diet would create some odd hormonal balances in my cycle. Choose whatever works best for you! There's no right or wrong option.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yeah, it's hard to believe there are 1.4 billion people in China, what with all the tofu and other soy products being consumed there. You'd think they'd have died out long ago with all the men suffering from lowered fertility...

Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis

people of china have other health issues due to the diet so arguments can be made either way in regard to soy yes or no.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa050467

Also check the references in your link to see where they glean this information from and look at what the studies were for ..what you posted is a summary conclusion based on multiple studies but I encourage you to look at what those studies were for. I'm not saying it DOES reduce test , but what I am saying is the conclusion isn't as cut and dry as you portrayed it to be.

if your lacto intolerant or simply disagree with drinking milk for animal rights or just dont like the taste I get it and anything to moderation should be just fine. I steer clear of soy because I have an under active thyroid so its in my best interest not to introduce elements that are shown to have a negative affect on my thyroid.

I think almond milk is a crime...basically no protein so I cannot understand for the life of me why people love it so much...to each their own.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk is the tastiest to me. I like it better than cows milk for cereal
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »

people of china have other health issues due to the diet so arguments can be made either way in regard to soy yes or no.

Also check the references in your link to see where they glean this information from and look at what the studies were for ..what you posted is a summary conclusion based on multiple studies but I encourage you to look at what those studies were for. I'm not saying it DOES reduce test , but what I am saying is the conclusion isn't as cut and dry as you portrayed it to be.

if your lacto intolerant or simply disagree with drinking milk for animal rights or just dont like the taste I get it and anything to moderation should be just fine. I steer clear of soy because I have an under active thyroid so its in my best interest not to introduce elements that are shown to have a negative affect on my thyroid.

I think almond milk is a crime...basically no protein so I cannot understand for the life of me why people love it so much...to each their own.

I consume almond milk because I enjoy the taste and the version I get has a calorie count and nutrients that fit well into my diet. I get plenty of protein from other things that I eat so I don't necessarily require milk to meet that need.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like almond or cashew milk. Cashew milk is creamier than almond milk IMO. Soy milk can act like estrogen in the body, and the links between too much estrogen and breast cancer concern me.
  • rebel_26
    Options

I consume almond milk because I enjoy the taste and the version I get has a calorie count and nutrients that fit well into my diet. I get plenty of protein from other things that I eat so I don't necessarily require milk to meet that need.

I get that too. I agree you can get your daily protein easily without milk or soy milk being a necessary element.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I use cashew milk. It tastes good and is only 25 calories per serving, win win.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

so, basically, you're supporting

I think I'll take a journal-published metanalysis over "I heard" (which usually ends up meaning "I heard it on the Internet" or "I heard it from a bro at the gym").

I tend to agree about almond milk -- even at those low calories, it's basically almond-flavored sugar water, although I do enjoy the taste of the almond-coconut blends. I mostly drink dairy, and I think the nutrition that I get in terms of protein, calcium, and vitamins A and D (and fat if I drink a version with fat) is well worth the calories. But soy protein is good for my cholesterol and blood pressure, so occasionally I opt for soy milk.

I think adding almond milk to a protein shake is pretty bizarre. Dairy, or soy, or a protein-fortified vegan milk makes more sense. Why would someone "pay" 25 to 40 calories for 0 grams of protein, instead of 80 calories for 8 grams of protein, if they're having so much trouble getting their desired amount of protein that they need to use supplements? Bizarre.
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Firstly all those men eating or drinking soya products STOP! http://www.thehealthyboy.com/2010/05/why-you-should-never-eat-soy.html This stuff is no good for your health, small amounts like everything isn't going to do you massive harm but continued regular use will. Please read up on it
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    Firstly all those men eating or drinking soya products STOP! http://www.thehealthyboy.com/2010/05/why-you-should-never-eat-soy.html This stuff is no good for your health, small amounts like everything isn't going to do you massive harm but continued regular use will. Please read up on it

That blog entry doesn't cite a single source and the errors in it don't inspire much confidence.
  • rebel_26
    Options

so, basically, you're supporting

I think I'll take a journal-published metanalysis over "I heard" (which usually ends up meaning "I heard it on the Internet" or "I heard it from a bro at the gym").

I tend to agree about almond milk -- even at those low calories, it's basically almond-flavored sugar water, although I do enjoy the taste of the almond-coconut blends. I mostly drink dairy, and I think the nutrition that I get in terms of protein, calcium, and vitamins A and D (and fat if I drink a version with fat) is well worth the calories. But soy protein is good for my cholesterol and blood pressure, so occasionally I opt for soy milk.

I think adding almond milk to a protein shake is pretty bizarre. Dairy, or soy, or a protein-fortified vegan milk makes more sense. Why would someone "pay" 25 to 40 calories for 0 grams of protein, instead of 80 calories for 8 grams of protein, if they're having so much trouble getting their desired amount of protein that they need to use supplements? Bizarre.

if thats your take away lol.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I do soy, almond, rice and hemp milk. I like to change some things up.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    For taste, I like coconut milk the best. Regarding soy and feminization of men, a 2010 National Institute of Health study says:

"The intervention data indicate that isoflavones do not exert feminizing effects on men at intake levels equal to and even considerably higher than are typical for Asian males."

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106

I use soy milk in my morning cereal because I have prostate cancer, and "...soy may modulate the disease process for established cancers".

Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/753132

I prefer getting my information from university and medical research sources rather than sites run by crunchies. :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like to make my protein shake with pulsin whey protein powder http://www.pulsin.co.uk/whey-protein-isolate-1kg-193.html, lots of spinach and a touch of coco powder. I usually use almond milk as water is bland. Is there much difference between using soya or almond milk or even rice?

Why not compare the nutritional labels and go from there...