Electrolytes?

Options
I was wondering if anyone here knows something about, or has experience with electrolytes.
The reason I'm asking is that I think I may have an imbalance of these important buggers. Why, you ask? Well, here goes.

I'm not trying to lose weight right now, as i'm happy where I am. I've been keeping an eye of my weight for a year now, weighing daily and i got to know my own patterns. I eat clean and healthy most of the time. No pasta, bread, rice etc. Lots of vegetables and lean meat. Once a week or so I allow some splurging with drinks and extra food. I'm always up for about 1.5 kilograms after such a splurge and I know that's just water weight. All normal, and my weight usually drops right back down within a few days. It's always been the same pattern, which has been assuring.

However, this pattern has changed lately. I seem to be retaining water for longer periods of time. Instead of dropping right back down, it takes weeks before the water disappears. And I know it's not fat, because the weight gain always happens after a night of drinking and eating, and appears overnight. I also seem to pee less then, which is an indication that my body is holding onto liquids for some reason.

I am also suffering from unexplained muscle aches, and a few heart flutters at times. This, and the water retention, all fits with an electrolyte imbalance. And don't worry, I have seen a doctor, had my blood tested (I just don't think electrolytes were tested in that test) and medically, I'm fine.

So I was wondering if any of you have had the same issues? Do electrolytes really make you retain water? If so, what can I do to fix this? It's really annoying to be about 2kg heavier than what I used to be, and this weight just appearing overnight without ever leaving.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about electrolytes and don't think your doc checked them last time, go back and have them checked.

Otherwise have you thought it may be a slow calorie creep and you have put on weight. Do a couple of weeks of tracking and see if you are eating more than maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would:

A) start tracking again. It's very easy to think you're eating less than you are. You could also be eating more sodium than you were - those splurges could be messing with you if you're body doesn't have time to lose the water weight which can take over a week sometimes for me personally. So for myself, if I did a sodium bomb meal once a week, I wouldn't lose the retained water.
    B ) You can always call your doctor to discuss whether they considered low levels of magnesium or potassium, but honestly, if you're eating well rounded meals, not taking medications, or suffering from GI issues then electrolytes shouldn't be a major concern. I mean, unless you're REALLY sweating hard when you work out, you generally don't even need Gatorade to "replenish".
  • Hawtcookies
    Hawtcookies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I still need to grab my doctor to discuss the results in debt. I'll definitely ask him about it. He's just very hard to get a hold of.
    I do eat quite well rounded meals, so you're right, it shouldn't be an issue. I do however do on average half an hour of HIIT every day. And boy, that does make me sweat. Could that be an issue?

Slowly gaining weight could always be lurking. But that wouldn't explain the jump in weight overnight that just doesn't come off. And I know for sure I have not been eating 10k+ calories extra to gain a few kilos. Besides, I haven't changed what I have been doing for 1.5 years. It worked fine for over a year. Now all of sudden, the weight jumps don't come off anymore. Very odd.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My only experience with electrolyte imbalance came after a hard lesson outdoors in the south during the summer (HOT). I got to feel that weird sensation of my heart wanting to burst through my rib cage while wanting to pass out. Once I cooled down my instructor - who also worked as a nurse at a local hospital - told me to drink Gatorade (not a lot) beforehand when it was that hot out and it seemed to help. That being said, if sodium IS the issue, then Gatorade is not your friend. I would see what your doctor has to say, and I totally understand about the waiting. I'm still waiting to hear back from mine after a week!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You could be low on potassium; many people don't get enough, and the information in the MFP database is not complete for potassium. Coconut water, low sodium V8, bananas, orange juice, and greek yogurt all good easy sources of potassium (Coconut water is one of the best sources). It wouldn't hurt also to take a multi vitamin that has some magnesium and zinc while you wait to see your doctor.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone here knows something about, or has experience with electrolytes.
    The reason I'm asking is that I think I may have an imbalance of these important buggers. Why, you ask? Well, here goes.

I'm not trying to lose weight right now, as i'm happy where I am. I've been keeping an eye of my weight for a year now, weighing daily and i got to know my own patterns. I eat clean and healthy most of the time. No pasta, bread, rice etc. Lots of vegetables and lean meat. Once a week or so I allow some splurging with drinks and extra food. I'm always up for about 1.5 kilograms after such a splurge and I know that's just water weight. All normal, and my weight usually drops right back down within a few days. It's always been the same pattern, which has been assuring.

However, this pattern has changed lately. I seem to be retaining water for longer periods of time. Instead of dropping right back down, it takes weeks before the water disappears. And I know it's not fat, because the weight gain always happens after a night of drinking and eating, and appears overnight. I also seem to pee less then, which is an indication that my body is holding onto liquids for some reason.

I am also suffering from unexplained muscle aches, and a few heart flutters at times. This, and the water retention, all fits with an electrolyte imbalance. And don't worry, I have seen a doctor, had my blood tested (I just don't think electrolytes were tested in that test) and medically, I'm fine.

So I was wondering if any of you have had the same issues? Do electrolytes really make you retain water? If so, what can I do to fix this? It's really annoying to be about 2kg heavier than what I used to be, and this weight just appearing overnight without ever leaving.

Are you doing low carb? If so, the lack of carbs means losing water weight and with the water goes the sodium. So you would need to increase sodium to get the balance back.

As for the water retention from your splurge nights, that's from the extra carbs/sodium you are consuming. I get it too when I have a splurge. It takes about a week to get everything back to normal, to be honest.

I would look into using LoSalt which is a mix of sodium chloride and potassium salt. And maybe a magnesium supplement. Preferably not oxide because that's the one they use in colonoscopy preps so it can cause loose stools.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Can reception at your doc office confirm that electrolytes were tested? I know they won't tell you the results, but if you let them know the symptoms you are having, maybe they can fit you in sooner rather than later, or at least get a req for the additional bloodwork while you wait to get in. Honestly, the only electrolyte imbalances I've seen are usually pretty serious and can cause serious problems (not always, but enough so that the docs tend to fix them ASAP). In my opinion, you should get it checked out as soon as possible.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    c12ceca777c1cb105701d1d22f97b1e4.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,031 Member
    Options

As a long distance cyclist, you'd better believe I know something about electrolytes.

Electrolytes are minerals which are essential to keep a person from developing hyponatremia.

The seven main ones are:
    •Sodium (Na+)
    •Chloride (Cl-)
    •Potassium (K+)
    •Magnesium (Mg++)
    •Calcium (Ca++)
    •Phosphate (HPO4–)
    •Bicarbonate (HCO3-)

The first two are essentially salt and salt is the most important of the electrolytes, with potassium probably coming in second.

If you are active on hot days or if you exert yourself to the point of sweating a lot, you sweat out electrolytes. When this happens it is important to take steps to consume electrolytes to replace what you've lost.

Sports drinks have small quantities of electrolytes.
    You can get electrolyte tablets.
    Food, of course, has electrolytes. Possibly the best source of electrolytes in food is salted almonds.

If your electrolyte levels are low, you risk hyponatremia (as mentioned above) and you may also experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and muscle cramps.

This is why, when I'm cycling 100 miles+ in a day, it is very important to keep track of my electrolyte intake.

• Hawtcookies
    Hawtcookies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I managed to sneak an appointment in with my doctor today. Turns out my entire bloodtest was fine - even the electrolytes. So that's not the issue. The doctor did tell my estrogen levels were a bit on the low side (for a guy). Low estrogen is known to cause more water retention, so that may be my issue.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    nuun Active Hydration, the reviews of it seem to be quite good. It provides all the electrolytes you need, without the sugar that Gatorade gives you.

I haven't used it.

I've recently experience unusual foot cramps in the middle of the night. I deduced that it was a symptom of hyponatremia, which is an electrolyte problem. When I remember to get plenty of late-day salt in my food, I have no problem with foot cramps. When the cramps occur, my solution is to eat a few grains of salt. That fixes it.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My electrolyte issues usually manifest themselves in the form of cramping. I've found coconut water VERY helpful in this respect
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I managed to sneak an appointment in with my doctor today. Turns out my entire bloodtest was fine - even the electrolytes. So that's not the issue. The doctor did tell my estrogen levels were a bit on the low side (for a guy). Low estrogen is known to cause more water retention, so that may be my issue.

Hopefully it's just a temporary issue then. I'm glad you got in to your doc. Have you decreased your fluid intake? Maybe try drinking an extra cup or two of water. Not too much, just a bit.