Finding it hard to eat my allotted calories!

teshaerwin
teshaerwin Posts: 42
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I am finding it SUPER hard to eat enough calories! Anyone else have this problem? I mean I could totally do it if I ate a bunch of bad stuff. But I REFUSE to put useless bad calories into my body, I work to hard to do that!

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Are you eating calorie dense foods like avocados, nuts, peanut butter, etc? Those are my favorite ways to get my calories in without eating a lot of food.
  • adamtwd88
    adamtwd88 Posts: 49
    same here - i'm usually left with about 400 or more left after the day
    it doesn't help that when you add on exercise, it gives you about 150+ calories BACK. lol
    but yeah i have the same problem, but i refuse to eat bad choices! x
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    you need healthy fats. it's very easy to go under if you're not eating fat. i see you're only eating around 20g of fat.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    i have the same problem to especially after excerise cals get added in.. i cant force my self to eat all the extra if im not hungray.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Try these suggestions
    - have nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit and/or nut butters, as a snack (trail mix is great as well)
    - add olive oil to soups and sauces
    - add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    - have a glass of juice in place of 1 glass of water
    - Stop eating diet or lite versions of food and opt for the "real" thing
    - For milk products eat higher MF% for milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.

You don't have to eat more food to ingest more caloires, just make different food choices. With so little left to lose it is even more important to eat all of your calories to avoid losing muscle instead of fat.
  • How much are you eating (in calories) and how many calories are you alloted for the day?
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Peanut butter + whole grain toast, nuts, high-fibre/protein cereals, pita/crackers & hummus, greek yogurt with fruits or granola, smoothies, etc. All good, healthy ways to eat the rest of your calories while staying under on your other numbers.
  • teshaerwin
    I still have 1000+ usually! I do use olive oil, eat PB, avocados nuts etc. I have been fine up until this point, feeling a little run down lately and was thinking it was because I was not eating enough?!? Do you all eat back your exercise calories? THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS :) One more thing my food diary is open if anyone wants to take a look and give me some pointers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I still have 1000+ usually!

That is not good, way to large of a deficit, you would lose your goal amount eating 100% of the calories.

How are you calculating caloires burned from exercise? If you are not using a HRM most likely they are over estimated so you should aim to eat 75% of the exercise calories, if you go by the machine or MFP, and 100% of your base calories .
  • teshaerwin
    I still have 1000+ usually!

That is not good, way to large of a deficit, you would lose your goal amount eating 100% of the calories.

How are you calculating calories burned from exercise? If you are not using a HRM most likely they are over estimated so you should aim to eat 75% of the exercise calories, if you go by the machine or MFP, and 100% of your base calories .

I am using a HRM so I think I am as close to accurate as I can get :)
  • theralin
    theralin Posts: 4
    I haven't used up all my calories yet, not on any day. I think the numbers are very generous, but it does encourage me to know I'm not eating too much!
  • teshaerwin
    How much are you eating (in calories) and how many calories are you allotted for the day?

My food diary is open if you want to check it out :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    eggs instead of egg whites
    more peanut butter!

You look to be fairly low on protein also. Maybe add some whey for breakfast (or eggs). Can also include a shake post workout (or whole food if you wish)

Are you training for a running event or something? You seem to do a lot. Do you do other sorts of exercise to mix it up a bit?
  • teshaerwin
    more peanut butter!

You look to be fairly low on protein also. Maybe add some whey for breakfast (or eggs). Can also include a shake post workout (or whole food if you wish)

Are you training for a running event or something? You seem to do a lot. Do you do other sorts of exercise to mix it up a bit?

NOPE not training just LOVE to run and I find it the easiest way to shed unwanted pounds. I need to start mixing it up because I want to tone up more! More peanut butter? like how much more it is SO high in fat! I can deffinatily do more eggs. Thanks for the tips :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Every time I see someone post this, I think "Really???" I have such a hard time not going over! I wish I had your problem!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 845 Member
    I would say switch to 2% milk instead of skim, add almonds and other nuts for snacks
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    a little olive oil when you cook or on a salad always helps me! :) (or flax oil if you can stand it....its great for hair and nails...i am not a huge fan though)
  • chrisdavey
    more peanut butter!

NOPE not training just LOVE to run and I find it the easiest way to shed unwanted pounds. I need to start mixing it up because I want to tone up more! More peanut butter? like how much more it is SO high in fat! I can deffinatily do more eggs. Thanks for the tips :)

1. I hate the word tone. You are effectively wanting to lose fat and gain muscle. You are going to need to do some resistance training to do this. (I used to run about 30miles a week and was on low cals, got skinny fat :( It sucked)
    2. I forgot to mention natural pb is the go. No additional preservatives and crap. You don't get fat from eating fat so don't worry about it. I aim for around 30% of cals from fat per day. My main sources are natural pb, coconut oil and fish oil.

HTH
    Chris
  • teshaerwin
    more peanut butter!

1. I hate the word tone. You are effectively wanting to lose fat and gain muscle. You are going to need to do some resistance training to do this. (I used to run about 30miles a week and was on low cals, got skinny fat :( It sucked)
    2. I forgot to mention natural pb is the go. No additional preservatives and crap. You don't get fat from eating fat so don't worry about it. I aim for around 30% of cals from fat per day. My main sources are natural pb, coconut oil and fish oil.

HTH
    Chris

lol ok I wont use that word any more :)
    Thanks for the tips! I started doing some resistance traning yesterday, and believe me I can feel it today! I only eat natural PB anyway so I am good in that department........ SO coconut oil and fish oil? do you take that in a pill form?
  • chrisdavey
    Good stuff :) Yes you will be sore for the first few times after. It's a shock to the system but you get used to it :)

fish oil: I take way more than the recommended because of an injury I have so I take liquid and capsules. I prefer the liquid as it takes two seconds to down a tspn as opposed to taking 5 capsules.

coconut oil: liquid! I use it for all my cooking. It's tasty as too!

Checkout this article for an interesting perspective of women's fitness from a pro.
    http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/what-women-should-never-do-but-often-do-while-trying-to-get-in-shape-part-1-of-6/
This discussion has been closed.