Just venting - last 10 lbs

Options
Anyone else have an AWFUL time with the "last 10??" I lost 20 lbs, nice and steady. I log everything and work out 3-4 times a week. I hit a few plateaus on the way and MY GOODNESS they're frustrating. I'm always eating the same stuff and working out- so the change from losing about 1lb a week to losing NOTHING is CRAZY making.
Now that I hit 10 lbs to lose, my original 1200 cals and 500 cals of exercise 3-4 days a week wasn't doing ANYTHINg.
So I changed it up. I calculated my BMR- I raised my cals to 1300 (to avoid my body thinking we're in starvation mode) and I'm working out 6 days a week - averaging a 500 cal deficit from working out (not including my long run days where I run about 10 miles burning around 1000 extra calories) my first week off this- I lost one lb. the second week of this - when the MFP's calculations said I should have lost 1lb this week.. I gained a pound and am basically back where I started. TWO weeks of working out almost every day. Weight lifting. Running a total of 30 miles. and I've lost NOTHING. WTF??! How do I get rid of these last 10 lbs? Eating 1200 didn't work. Eating 1300 and working out like crazy isn't working! I hate this.

Replies

• bblue656
    bblue656 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?
    Are you logging everything too a tee?
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would not worry about it too much. I would wait another 2-3 weeks to see if you still have that issue. I know that the first two weeks of my monthly hormonal cycle I tend to drop weight like crazy and the last two weeks, practically nothing comes off or I even gain! If you are only 10 pounds away from your goal, the loss will just take longer.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    My last 10 lbs came off at a snails pace.
    1lbs every 6 week on average.
    Make sure your logging of calories in and out is as accurate as possible.

I am short, 5'1, and was aiming for 105 lbs. so 1200 was completely apropriate.

I kept to my 1200 and ate 150-200 for each hour exercised, so I just basically carried on like I had for the first 20 and let the weight come off as it may.

It was slow, but it meant I entered maintenance with the confidence of knowing how to eat and with a reasonable exercise routine to sustain my loss long term. 6+ years.

The last few pounds are slow because you just don't have the amount of fat to metabolize, and your deficit calories are much closer to your maintenance calories.

A couple of options.
    -Go back to what you were doing before and let the weight drop slowly.

-Work out what your maintenance calories will be at your goal weight and start eating those now. Your weight loss will be slow this way too, but it is a good option for some.

What you have switched to sounds as though you are eating way too few calories for the increased exercise level. It is probably unsustainable and does nothing towards helping you acquire good long term maintenance habits.

I realise it was a rant you were having, but you did include questions.

Cheers, h.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The closer you get the harder it is and the slower it comes off.....just got to keep going
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The smaller you get the less calories you need to exist and the more fit you become the longer it takes to burn said calories, I am a super efficient machine, I think of myself as a little smart car, I can go a long way on just sunshine!
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have 5 pounds to lose( after losing 40), and I'm ready to give it up. I'm ok with where I'm at, but really wanted to get a good shot. It's been 2 months and stuck.
    This has been worse than the first 40!
  • spiritbrat
    spiritbrat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem so I'm setting a goal of 10 by Christmas. Really being strict on food right now. Please feel free to add me for support.