Brussel Sprout recipes?

Options
whitneykt
whitneykt Posts: 38 Member
I need help . . . I've never cooked these before. Also, they are going to be from a frozen state.

Replies

• whitneykt
    Options
    I need help . . . I've never cooked these before. Also, they are going to be from a frozen state.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I personally like them microwave or boil steamed (much like cabbage). then I cut them in half if they're big and put some spray butter and seasonings like no-salt seasoning, cayenne pepper and I like hot sauce on almost all of my veggies :tongue: . I've seen more elaborate ways with fancy sauces but that was before I started to track my food :blushing: I hated them as a kid but seem to have grown into them as an adult. They now have them in the steamfresh packages in the freezer section, can't wait to try those!
  • whitneykt
    Options
    Thanks Christie! Hubby loves hot sauce on most of his food too! Me . . . not so much! Yea - those sauces are kind of hard to record aren't they? I also hated them as a kid and can tolerate them as an adult. Just trying to get a variety of vegis into our diet and try some new things.

Thanks again!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like them thawed, sliced in half, drizzled in oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, and baked!

Or pan-fried in olive oil... Add a little soy sauce at the end to speed up cooking and give a saltier flavor.

These work better when you start with fresh ones... Would have to get the frozen ones thawed dry.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    thawed, sliced in half, drizzled in oil and lemon juice, chopped garlic (or roasted if you have it!)

Baked with salt and pepper to taste ( with the lemon, dont really need salt)
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I also like them micro with just a sprinkling of salt and pepper - that is all I need!

If I'm making a more elaborate dish, then I would micro the brussel sprouts until soft, cut in half, and sautee in EVOO and garlic. If you have time, sautee chopped onions until slightly brown with the oil and garlic, then add the sprouts and sautee until sprouts are golden. YUM!
  • whitneykt
    Options
    MollyK - your second idea sound delish! I'll have to try that.

Thanks to the rest of you too. I kind of figured that's how they'd be cooked . . . however, didn't think about cutting them in half. I'll have to remember that.
  • Leeci
    Leeci Posts: 6
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts are a favoite of ours! For the frozen ones, we just cook/steam them with a little salted water. Once they are cooked, drain them well, spray with "I can't believe it's not butter" and sprinkle with black pepper and a dash of onion or garlic powder (if you like). We use a lot of fresh ones, and with those, I usually cut them in half, stir-fry them in a non-stick skillet or wok with just a touch of olive oil, 1-2 tablespoons of finely mined onion, lots of freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of salt. Then when crisp-tender, spray with a little "I can't believe it's not butter" and top with a few shavings of Asiago or Parmesan cheese. YUMMO!!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I didn't like Brussel Sprouts either as a kid, but trying them baked has changed me. Roast in a hot hot oven for 20-30 min. I usually do around 425-450 degrees after tossing with a smidge of olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. When they are really well browned, there are done. They actually get crunchy on the outside and soft inside, with some roast chicken is super yummy!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Blanche them.

Quarter them.

Toss with olive oil, garlic and a little salt and pepper.

Broil until they start to caramelize and crisp up.

I used to hate them but had them this way and my opinion changed.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    People really EAT brussel sprouts??

:noway:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I personally like them microwave or boil steamed (much like cabbage). then I cut them in half if they're big and put some spray butter and seasonings like no-salt seasoning, cayenne pepper and I like hot sauce on almost all of my veggies :tongue: . I've seen more elaborate ways with fancy sauces but that was before I started to track my food :blushing: I hated them as a kid but seem to have grown into them as an adult. They now have them in the steamfresh packages in the freezer section, can't wait to try those!
    I like putting em in the micro too...but I like cayenne peper and lemon. I put lemon on almost all my dark green veggies. I think someone i work with puts cider vinegar on them...but try the lemon it brightens them up.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

ABSOLUTELY ans Lima beans I love em both oh yeah and beets!!!!!!!!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My mom made these for Christmas. Cut fresh ones in half. Put them in a pan with a little chicken stock, cook until stock evaporates. Add sundried tomatoes. Ymm. I can't remember if she put garlic in too.
  • whitneykt
    Options

ABSOLUTELY ans Lima beans I love em both oh yeah and beets!!!!!!!!!

:laugh:
  • whitneykt
    Options
    My mom made these for Christmas. Cut fresh ones in half. Put them in a pan with a little chicken stock, cook until stock evaporates. Add sundried tomatoes. Ymm. I can't remember if she put garlic in too.

That sounds good too. I could try them with the frozen . . . just thaw them a little first.
  • murfjul
    Options
    When you have fresh ones (and the weather is not freezing)... I like to put them in a foil packet with a little evoo, salt and pepper and put them on the bbq. They are sooo good roasted like this.
  • whitneykt
    Options
    We :heart: BBQ'ing . . . I'll even try that with the frozen ones too. Thanks!